Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

This arrived lunchtime, and its absolutely beautiful!!!

Its a Jake, but I asked to have it named "Old Thumper" which was what I named the very first bitsa I put together, its also the name of my favourite beer. :rolleyes:

Due to back and neck problems, I chose a medium scale which did feel strange at first, but after playing it for an hour or so, it just felt so right, absolutely perfect balance, and weighs in at 7lb 8oz.
The Maruszczyk pickups are very powerful and being a P bass man, I will probably only use the P pickup most of the time, but its nice to have the humbucker as well to give me more options if needed.

I know its early days, but I think this will be my go to bass from now on.

[u][i]Here's the specs:[/i][/u]
[i]Body:[/i] alder with one piece ash veneer front and back, gloss finish
[i]Neck:[/i] maple with matching headstock, 38mm nut width, white neck binding, MOP block inlays, matte finish
[i]Hardware:[/i] Hipshot ultra light C 3/8 tuner, standard bridge
[i]Pickups:[/i] Maruszczyk P & HB, passive volume, volume, tone
[i]Scale:[/i] Medium 32"
[i]Weight:[/i] 7lb 8oz

[quote name='Sumbabba' timestamp='1470491422' post='3106380']
Does anyone in London have a medium scale Maruszczyk I could try out? I'm thinking of buying the one benebass is selling but I've never played a medium scale before.
[/quote]

Hi Sumbabba - don't want to derail this thread, but a good way to see if medium scale is for you is to detune a 34" bass by a semitone then put a guitar capo on the first fret. Notes are just that bit easier to reach down the bottom end! :)

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1470507220' post='3106485']
Hi Sumbabba - don't want to derail this thread, but a good way to see if medium scale is for you is to detune a 34" bass by a semitone then put a guitar capo on the first fret. Notes are just that bit easier to reach down the bottom end! :)
[/quote]

Ok great tip thanks! :)

[quote name='Sumbabba' timestamp='1470491422' post='3106380']
Does anyone in London have a medium scale Maruszczyk I could try out? I'm thinking of buying the one benebass is selling but I've never played a medium scale before.
[/quote]

The Bass Gallery have one of the higher end Maruszczyk's in I believe. Not sure of the scale length though, sorry.

Actually got to lay hands on one last night, (it was a sunburst P5), and the build quality was exemplary: certainly as good as a good example of the real thing from the US, if not better, and delightfully, erm, light. :D Wasn't too keen on the Delanos, but that's just me.

Have just spend waaaayyyyyy too much time going through every pic on the site, and unfortunately there's nothing that appeals visually, but again that's just me, so I can say as someone who won't own one (and therefore without axe to grind) that I was very impressed by the quality of the one I played.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1470938188' post='3109517']
Actually got to lay hands on one last night, (it was a sunburst P5), and the build quality was exemplary: certainly as good as a good example of the real thing from the US, if not better, and delightfully, erm, light. :D Wasn't too keen on the Delanos, but that's just me.

Have just spend waaaayyyyyy too much time going through every pic on the site, and unfortunately there's nothing that appeals visually, but again that's just me, so I can say as someone who won't own one (and therefore without axe to grind) that I was very impressed by the quality of the one I played.
[/quote]

Better than US, I'd say. I can't fault either of mine, and knowing they were built by people gives them the edge (IMO, of course!).

Just out of curiously - what sort of style / config would appeal to you?

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1470938188' post='3109517']
[/quote]

That would be this one then:

Nice to meet you Muzz - traded my TH500 for his Walkabout and had a good chat. I'm slowly morphing into WOT!

Following on from our chat about the Delanos I was coming on here to ask for advice about alternatives, they're too harsh for me so I think swapping them out is on the cards. At the moment I'm considering the Maruszcyzk house pups, haussels or maybe asking Mark to see if he'll do me a set of limelights (love the sound from those). Does anyone have any advice/opinions?

Edited by colleya

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1470946104' post='3109586']
That would be this one then:

Nice to meet you Muzz - traded my TH500 for his Walkabout and had a good chat. I'm slowly morphing into WOT!

Following on from our chat about the Delanos I was coming on here to ask for advice about alternatives, they're too harsh for me so I think swapping them out is on the cards. At the moment I'm considering the Maruszcyzk house pups, haussels or maybe asking Mark to see if he'll do me a set of limelights (love the sound from those). Does anyone have any advice/opinions?
[/quote]

The Haussels are mellower than the Maruszczyks. The latter are also pretty hot, too. They both sound great IMO.

Cheers WOT. I've managed to tame the Delanos with the walkabout eq but that's only at tickling pressure. I reckon they'll get a bit much when I get carried away and dig in at gig time. Off to hunt down the back of the sofa for pickup money now!