Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1473013426' post='3126064']
I have Haeussel's in my Jake and they're nice, but my latest build from Mensinger is going to have a Delano P pickup in, as I liked the midrange on that one more, as we are a one guitar band now opposed to two. (with a different name)

But I've been using the Haeussel's for the last few months and they're pretty cool. Very warm, very oldschool and very Jamerson, but they have a decent output. They're pretty nice.

[/quote]

That mirrors my experience.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1473013777' post='3126072']
That mirrors my experience.
[/quote]

They're not like the Duncan SPB-1 or the Steve Harris Duncan's I was using before, they're different in terms of overall base tone, as the Harris is very mid-rangy but without using the bass and the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Haeussel's are much more vintage sounding than the SPB-1's are.[/size][/font][/color]

They're nice, considering I knew nothing about them, I trusted Adrian's judgement and it paid off in spades.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1473012165' post='3126043']
I don't fancy anything on the site, it's the quality which interests me - it'd be a custom build: something different, but still a copy, using hardware I already have..there's a clue in my avatar pic... :)
[/quote]

THey had a firebird in the guitar section when I accidentally fell into that section.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1473013426' post='3126064']

I have Haeussel's in my Jake and they're nice, but my latest build from Mensinger is going to have a Delano P pickup in
[/quote]

I'm looking at going the opposite way, my Jake p/j was 2nd hand and came with Delanos but they don't really do it for me so looking at swapping. I love the sound of limelight pups but Mark doesn't do 5 string so considering the haeussels. Thanks for the advice and the link.

Question for you guys, has anyone in this thread ever went ahead with a complete custom from him?

Just was curious to know, there's a model called the Horn on the Mensinger site that isn't on the Public Peace one and I was wondering if he could/would do a bass version of it? Of it it was still in production:

http://www.mensingerguitars.com/mensinger/gitary/horn/item/horn-7-black

Anyone done it before?

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1473069475' post='3126488']
Mcnach I had no idea you guys were playing near me and I missed you guys!

By any chance do you tour with your Jake?
[/quote]

Pity. It was a great night!

Both my Jakes are on dry land at the moment. I tend to use the Stingray mostly anyway, but I'll soon bring out the Jakes more. The red one (reverse P, bit closer to the bridge than normal) is being modified to incorporate a John East MMSR (Stingray) 3-band preamp, with a black plate to suit the other black hardware. I hesitated when ordering it and went passive... and there's only a couple of basses I like passive: a Precision and another Precision ;) (ok, maybe a good Jazz). The P/JJ... I removed the P pickup and put in a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 that I like better... but I managed to break one of the mounting screws, and in order to remove the bit that was left I had to enlarge the hole a bit... so I need to fill the hole and redrill before I am happy to use that bass 'in the wild'... I still use it at home, and I love it... but I don't want to play live with a bass whose pickup is not firmly fixed in place. Not a lot of work, but there's always something else distracting me :lol:

And I can't find anything that beats the Stingray :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1473071625' post='3126505']
Pity. It was a great night!

Both my Jakes are on dry land at the moment. I tend to use the Stingray mostly anyway, but I'll soon bring out the Jakes more. The red one (reverse P, bit closer to the bridge than normal) is being modified to incorporate a John East MMSR (Stingray) 3-band preamp, with a black plate to suit the other black hardware. I hesitated when ordering it and went passive... and there's only a couple of basses I like passive: a Precision and another Precision ;) (ok, maybe a good Jazz). The P/JJ... I removed the P pickup and put in a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 that I like better... but I managed to break one of the mounting screws, and in order to remove the bit that was left I had to enlarge the hole a bit... so I need to fill the hole and redrill before I am happy to use that bass 'in the wild'... I still use it at home, and I love it... but I don't want to play live with a bass whose pickup is not firmly fixed in place. Not a lot of work, but there's always something else distracting me :lol:

And I can't find anything that beats the Stingray :)
[/quote]

I just saw it on your band page and I'm literally 20 mins away from Morpeth! If I spot you're ever in Edinburgh I'll get the train up to see you guys.

Oh lovely, a JE preamp. I've been contemplating doing something like that to my Jake, but I'm unsure about it. What advantages would I really have outside of more control and a possible DB boost?

So having just been asked the pickup questions, of the delanos and Haeussels, which are the more agressive? I don't really want smooth old school.

Just got the invoice for mine. That was a lot more than I intended spending, but you know, if you are going to get something you want, the last thing you want afterwards is 'oh if only I had got'..

Oh and Yay, Luminay!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1473079489' post='3126634']
So having just been asked the pickup questions, of the delanos and Haeussels, which are the more agressive? I don't really want smooth old school.

Just got the invoice for mine. That was a lot more than I intended spending, but you know, if you are going to get something you want, the last thing you want afterwards is 'oh if only I had got'..

Oh and Yay, Luminay!
[/quote]

Any reason you're avoiding the Maruszczyks? They're hot and aggressive...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1473079995' post='3126645']
Any reason you're avoiding the Maruszczyks? They're hot and aggressive...
[/quote]

No reason, he just asked me if I wanted the delanos or Haussels, although in the context of if I wanted pole pieces visible. I wasn't aware of option 3!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1473073073' post='3126519']
You're welcome to have a go / lend of either of mine. I'm just near Whitley Bay.
[/quote]

Cool! I'll keep that in mind.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1473079489' post='3126634']

Oh and Yay, Luminay!
[/quote]

Yeah, I was the same with mine. Just wish it had a reverse headstock, but it's a minor detail.

The Haeussels sound hotter to me than the Delano's but the Delano's sound like they have more poke as it were. Haeussels are great if you want an oldschool P bass sound, which you don't. He also has EMG stuff too IIRC.

There's also [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyks's own pickups, which I have no idea what they're like. Someone in here will know more about them than I do though.[/font][/color]

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1473072781' post='3126516']
I just saw it on your band page and I'm literally 20 mins away from Morpeth! If I spot you're ever in Edinburgh I'll get the train up to see you guys.

Oh lovely, a JE preamp. I've been contemplating doing something like that to my Jake, but I'm unsure about it. What advantages would I really have outside of more control and a possible DB boost?
[/quote]

The next few gigs are Edinburgh (this week and next) and Glasgow (couple of weeks after that)... then we have a break.

'more control' is the answer. I really like that particular preamp, with the semiparametric mids module. In addition I'm trying to see whether that makes me like it more. The bass is great but I'm not convinced about my choice of pickup. I went with some Delanos with the big polepieces, because I liked that look... but they seem very very hot and aggressive. I'm just not *loving* it. Lovely bass to play, and so light and comfortable... but I need to change pickups I think. The preamp would help, with this or another pickup, and the black plate will offset nicely the empty top. I should have gone for that preamp from day 1 really. I have had one in my drawer for a few years now for an old project, so it's time I put it to good use.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1473083640' post='3126707']
The Haeussels sound hotter to me than the Delano's but the Delano's sound like they have more poke as it were. Haeussels are great if you want an oldschool P bass sound, which you don't. He also has EMG stuff too IIRC.
[/quote]

Cool thanks. Well, my elwood does have a P bass pickup anyway!

[URL=http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/ashrome/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160905-193454.png.html][IMG]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h373/ashrome/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160905-193454.png[/IMG][/URL]

Actual Dan Lakin appreciates my Jake. I've come over all giddy :).

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1473166099' post='3127558']
So we have got to the point of giving money out. Did someone say there was a cheaper way than just sending it through a bank?

Shame the build time is 15 weeks - I have enough difficulty waiting for a shipment from thomman!
[/quote]

Transferwise - I don't think you'll find cheaper. I'll PM you a referral link which I think will give you a free transfer.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1473172066' post='3127646']
Looks like I'm about to go the Maruszczyk route with a Cazpar 4P. They seem to come with a gig-bag rather than a hard case. Just out of interest, can anyone who's already bought from Adrian tell me how the bass was packed when it arrived?
[/quote]