Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

I've noticed zero tonal deficiencies with my chambered Maruszczyk vs other solid body basses I have. Whilst there are other variables, all my basses are Alder bodies, maple necks and rosewood boards.
It's just really bloody light with no neck-dive, 4 string, 33" plus Ultralite tuners obviously help here, but as has been mentioned, even with 34" and their standard tuners there doesn't seem to be any issues at all.

Si

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1472723962' post='3123625']
The medium scale Jake I'm selling is chambered & sounds great. The only difference I've noticed is it's a lot more toppy than solid basses I have even with flats, but that's not a bad thing at all... :)
[/quote]
Thanks Benedict - GLWTS!

Long time no see thread.

Ordered a bass from his Mensinger brand a while ago, would I be able to post it in here when I receive it?

Adrian was as helpful and accommodating as ever, really happy to work with him on my bass ideas. Especially when my first Jake came out really, really well.

Well, got quite a long way through discussions - I think he might have got fed up with me asking now :/
Trouble is everything you say the price goes up and the more you realise you want. But if I am going to spend that much on a bass it has to be perfect.

Thats my only real concern, without trying one, if its not perfect, that is a large amount of money down the tubes. I mean I am sure it will be technically perfect, but if it has some clunky neck I can't get on with, then you do lose a lot.

Still, damn gorgeous looking things, and if he gets back to me I think I am going to end up with something quite soon!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472768089' post='3124185']
Well, got quite a long way through discussions - I think he might have got fed up with me asking now :/
Trouble is everything you say the price goes up and the more you realise you want. But if I am going to spend that much on a bass it has to be perfect.

Thats my only real concern, without trying one, if its not perfect, that is a large amount of money down the tubes. I mean I am sure it will be technically perfect, but if it has some clunky neck I can't get on with, then you do lose a lot.

Still, damn gorgeous looking things, and if he gets back to me I think I am going to end up with something quite soon!
[/quote]

So specify the neck dimensions, they can work to exact measurements!

Si

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472768089' post='3124185']

[/quote]

Can spec the neck dimensions at no extra cost IIRC.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1472776153' post='3124246']
So specify the neck dimensions, they can work to exact measurements!

Si
[/quote]

indeed! That's the first thing I would do, in fact.
My first Maruszczyk was pretty much a stock Jake, only I specified the neck dimensions and finish, that's all. I don't think it added to the cost. The finish did, marginally, but not the neck size specs.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1472818973' post='3124502']
indeed! That's the first thing I would do, in fact.
My first Maruszczyk was pretty much a stock Jake, only I specified the neck dimensions and finish, that's all. I don't think it added to the cost. The finish did, marginally, but not the neck size specs.
[/quote]

My first Jake wasn't much more than a stock one, however I did specify for a light body and ultralite tuners too.
Can't see neck dimensions changing anything. Infact I've just trawled through my emails with Adrian, he said that neck isn't factored in the price difference as it's the same work.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1472823692' post='3124556']
Yep, both of my Jakes have custom specc'd neck dimensions.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, how did you measure it?

I went online and sourced the specs for one of my Fender's but it doesn't feel quite right, a little less chunky that I wanted, but still pretty nice and very, very close.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1472825968' post='3124577']
Out of curiosity, how did you measure it?

I went online and sourced the specs for one of my Fender's but it doesn't feel quite right, a little less chunky that I wanted, but still pretty nice and very, very close.
[/quote]

Nut width, and front-to-back depth at a couple of points along the neck...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1472826221' post='3124580']
Nut width, and front-to-back depth at a couple of points along the neck...
[/quote]

That.

He usually asks for width at the nut and depth at 1st fret, but that's just a rough description, you can give a few more measurements for a better defined neck profile.

I never got that far, that would be good to ask, but he has stopped talking to me now, I think I asked too many questions!

I think I need to make some specs and ask for prices on those. I guess I can measure the ibanez neck and that will tell me what sort of size to go for as thats my perfect neck.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472834200' post='3124667']
I never got that far, that would be good to ask, but he has stopped talking to me now, I think I asked too many questions!

I think I need to make some specs and ask for prices on those. I guess I can measure the ibanez neck and that will tell me what sort of size to go for as thats my perfect neck.
[/quote]

His communication style is direct and to the point. What I did was list clearly and concisely the various alterations to a base Jake model that I wanted, as a check list almost. Where I had doubts or wanted input I indicated it. That worked well for me. I think if you write long emails it just gets on the 'for later' pile ;)

Out of interest, what's the normal response time for an email to these guys? I sent one with a query about a custom build about a week ago, with no response yet.

The same thing happened a while ago, I mentioned it on here and got a response after that.

it might just be me, but at this point I'd settle for a "Dear Sir, get stuffed, yours sincerely" - at least I'd know... :(

Edited by Muzz

The standard neck profile is a slim 'modern C' (Adrian's words) - 21mm at 1st fret & 24mm at 12th. Nut is 40mm as standard (a bit wider than a Jazz, but less than a Precision). Radius is 14" as standard. All this is configurable, but not miles off an Ibanez if you bring the nut in to 38mm. You'll only get something chunky if you ask for it!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1472854304' post='3124919']
Out of interest, what's the normal response time for an email to these guys? I sent one with a query about a custom build about a week ago, with no response yet.
[/quote]

I wrote an email, got a reply the next day, sent a reply, got another reply the next day, sent another reply got 3 replies the same day, last question, haven't heard anything for a few days now.

So I will put it all together in one email, ask the prices and wait.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1472854571' post='3124922']
The standard neck profile is a slim 'modern C' (Adrian's words) - 21mm at 1st fret & 24mm at 12th. Nut is 40mm as standard (a bit wider than a Jazz, but less than a Precision). Radius is 14" as standard. All this is configurable, but not miles off an Ibanez if you bring the nut in to 38mm. You'll only get something chunky if you ask for it!
[/quote]

This is a 5 string, so 45mm nut is fine (which is what theirs are anyway). Bring the neck down to 20mm and 22mm and that is what an ibanez is, although I can't imagine I would be able to tell the difference between 22 and 24mm am I.

Has anyone had custom fret markers done? I would imagine something like that would be expensive. Or luminay side markers? :D

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472834200' post='3124667']
[/quote]
[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1472854304' post='3124919']

The same thing happened a while ago, I mentioned it on here and got a response after that.
[/quote]
[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472857799' post='3124933']

I wrote an email, got a reply the next day, sent a reply, got another reply the next day, sent another reply got 3 replies the same day, last question, haven't heard anything for a few days now.
[/quote]

He is very responsive to emails and facebook messages usually. I exchanged a few emails/fb messages with him last week and remember him stating that he will be out of the office for about a week.