Why become a member? ×

Would a bad Keyboard Player make you quit a band ?

KennysFord

Actually to be honest our keytard is pretty good with his left hand apart from one song where I keep thinking I have this monster bass sound and it's him!!! The main problem is when we set up, I need space for a Compact and everything, 2x10/amp stacks on top, so I'll put the Compact in the space and by the time I go to put the rest on there's a bag/massive keyboard flight cases/speakers stacked in front of it!!! One day I was stood facing my set up rig making some adjustments and turned around to find the full size keyboard flightcase right behind me! Cue hopping and skipping to avoid a tragic fall!

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1421087404' post='2657026']
...by the time I go to put the rest on there's a bag/massive keyboard flight cases/speakers stacked in front of it!!!
[/quote]

Another great reason not to have keys. Though to be fair, drummers are guilty of this too. They'll use up ALL the available space while setting up and if you make the mistake of leaving gear within reach, they'll move it/stand on it/push it over if it encroaches on 'their' space. Which is why I always try to turn up after the drummer has set up. The other reason is, I can't stand watching and waiting for a drummer to set up his kit, it's like waiting for Godot. Heh. I'm doing a lot of moaning today! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421012088' post='2656239']
I wouldn't quit because of a bad keyboard player - I'd quit because of ANY keyboard player.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are great keyboard players out there, but I've not been lucky enough to be in a band with any of 'em.

There's nothing worse than a keys player with a heavy left hand, and they all have them. IMHO, the best keys players are those who are not necessarily keys players but add texture and depth in a subtle and creative way. A keys player who is essentially a pianist is a nightmare. He will imagine he is the one everybody's come to see and the rest of the band are just supporting him in concert. They are NOT team players!
[/quote]

Spot on. The ones I have played with sound like either Richard Clayderman or Billy Smarts circus keyboard player.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421088006' post='2657034']

Another great reason not to have keys. Though to be fair, drummers are guilty of this too. They'll use up ALL the available space while setting up and if you make the mistake of leaving gear within reach, they'll move it/stand on it/push it over if it encroaches on 'their' space. Which is why I always try to turn up after the drummer has set up. The other reason is, I can't stand watching and waiting for a drummer to set up his kit, it's like waiting for Godot. Heh. I'm doing a lot of moaning today! :D
[/quote]

Oh God yeah!! Between the two of them it's a nightmare!! I have a stool as I get a backache and the other day I went to sit on it whilst I waited for everyone to set up as I was early and there was a cymbal case on it!!! A cymbal case I tell you! It's a travesty!!

Yeah I'm a bit moany today too!!!

Sometimes I think this issue can be as much to do with venue acoustics / eq as the keyboard player being heavy handed. Soundchecks often revolve around getting the rt hand of the keys sitting in the mix which leads to too much left. Maybe time for a keyboard with two volume controls, one either side of middle 'c' :-)

Some balance.... I have or am in bands with 3 different keyboards...

The first is a concert standard pianist who plays the top London hotels. A total inspiration, played sympathetically, with finesse, style and class every time. A total joy from beginning to end.

The second is into creating his own songs based on 80s synch and plays in a covers band. Nailed every song, played with the right noises and added a nice layer to the 6 piece.

The third is not a great player, but loads of fun and bangs our simple chords and synth in all the right spots.

So, none had a heavy left hand and all complemented the music for the good of the band. Keep the faith people!!!

I think the point is, if it's done in ignorance, teach 'em how to fit properly in the band's mix. Every band is different, though, with different sonic needs. If it's done with full knowledge of the problems caused, then it simply comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. But don't simply "endure" the problem and say nothing. Then you're simply being an enabler. Good luck!

[quote name='kennyrodgers' timestamp='1421009830' post='2656202']
The thing is though that he's the father of the guy that runs the band. Personally he's a nice enough guy but hyper sensitive when it comes to mentioning things like his left hand.

[/quote]

In my opinion only, these two facts would make me run, not walk, away from the Band. You're never going to be listened to by either of them, and in fact, when it comes to the crunch, Family will nearly always 'gang up' on an outsider.
Personally, I think you're a saint, because I couldn't have lasted two and a half years without saying something VERY forcefully about the situation.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1421144832' post='2657526']

In my opinion only, these two facts would make me run, not walk, away from the Band. You're never going to be listened to by either of them, and in fact, when it comes to the crunch, Family will nearly always 'gang up' on an outsider.
Personally, I think you're a saint, because I couldn't have lasted two and a half years without saying something VERY forcefully about the situation.
[/quote]

Is it possible to try saying "I've noticed that you and I are both keeping the groove. How about if I so that and opening your left hand to add more to the melodies? "

How about, 'Frigging shape up or I'll chop your hand off, you bastard!!'
Oof! Sorry, everyone - meant to think that, not say it... ...hmm... ...awkward... :blink:

Family will nearly always 'gang up' on an outsider.
[/quote]

So true, and in ANY situation - even if they know they're wrong. Which is why EastEnders is SO fascinating. :unsure:

[/quote]

Is it possible to try saying "I've noticed that you and I are both keeping the groove. How about if I so that and opening your left hand to add more to the melodies? "

Doh! Damned mobile titnternet!

Edited by Grangur

Pete, Is he an "ex" club keyboard player by any chance? You know the type that used to back the "turns" with a Drummer. If so that could explain all as they had to sound like a complete band.
I think you depped for me when we had Alan, (right bloody pain he was), playing keys. He was a club player and IMHO did the same thing. Played too loud and very heavy on the left hand. Current player, Keith, is different altogether as he has been playing in bands almost from the start. I have been playing with him on and off for years and never had that issue.
The stupid thing is that left hand could be doing so much more if he wasn't treading on your toes.
I would have to record some numbers and play them back with the band for comment. Maybe even compare to another band. I am sure our set-list is similar to yours, so I could probably provide audio/video of some numbers to compare.
Glad you have found a singist by the way.

So much true here. Makes me feel like I have empathic company.

My thought is that our keyboard player learns by ear (all credit) - much better ear than I have; but learns to play the whole song - whole in terms of the sonic spectrum, so when she comes to a band setting - she is overplaying. This not only affects me for all of the many reasons above but also the guitarist. She has often been found playing unison with the guitarist - like on Rolling Stones songs! Thankfully the guitarist managed to "encourage" her to stop that. I'd rather she played for the song in the band. But she could split the keyboard into two voices and play pads on one side and melody on the other. But she's rather technophobic, so that won't happen.

I'm actually thinking of for some songs playing the pads from my iPad using ThumbJam. Wonder how that will go down?

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1421014062' post='2656278']
A long time ago I noticed that our keys player was playing bass on his left hand that really clashed with what I needed to play. It's what keys players do naturally so he didn't notice. I pointed out that we were clashing and he stopped immediately and now adds other layers of sound. My point is that if your keys player is a decent bloke he'll see what you mean and play for the good of the band.
[/quote]

Exactly.

A keyboard player I used to play with a lot said that he liked playing with me as I knew what to play and it meant I freed up his left hand.

Arranging music in a band situation doesn't always just happen automatically. Often you have to work on it together. That's what being in a band is all about.