Why become a member? ×

The Clash BBC4 New Years Day

Lozz196

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1420127763' post='2645866']
Beat me there JA - not until 1980 for me - would love to have been at those early early gigs

I once saw Mick Jones at Hammersmith Metropolitan tube - can you beat that? :)
[/quote]

Mrs Axe and I once saw Patrick Moore at Paddington Station. He was a big bloke!

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1420127763' post='2645866']
I once saw Mick Jones at Hammersmith Metropolitan tube - can you beat that? :)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

I shared a steam room with Joe Strummer once at the Marriott hotel in Cardiff.

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1420124872' post='2645823']
VHS will make a comeback. That and mullet haircuts on all session bassists!
[/quote]

Please God, no! VHS was rubbish even at the time. Betamax should have been the go-to video format!
The mullet is totally unacceptable, then as now, for session bassists and any other human person.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1420145216' post='2646153']
Roll on the return of the Phillips Laser disc 2000, my mates dad had one, it was the only one I ever saw, actually come to think of it my mate had a mullet at that time
[/quote]

My school had that Domesday Project thingy that was on a Laser Disc kind of format that could only be read by a specific device for the BBC computer. Much to my amusement there was an article a couple of years ago about how the data was now difficult to access since the format and hardware was so unique. Didn't have that problem with the parchment of the original Domesday Book. Now excuse me while I go and insert a 3.5" floppy into my old sequencer (and no, that's not a euphemism).

Fantastic film. Amazing that CBS were interested so early given the, let's face it, sub-par performance of the band. I know that's not what is important really, but still hard to believe they had such major level record company interest. Would it happen today for a similar band at a similar stage in their career/musical ability?

I`d very much doubt it, but then to me that shows how the A&R people were doing their jobs well. Yes the band weren`t musically that hot, but the labels could see that`s what people wanted at the time - credit to them for being interested in bands which they probably privately thought were dreadful.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420186686' post='2646406']
I`d very much doubt it, but then to me that shows how the A&R people were doing their jobs well. Yes the band weren`t musically that hot, but the labels could see that`s what people wanted at the time - credit to them for being interested in bands which they probably privately thought were dreadful.
[/quote]
From my reading and understanding the Clash were still pretty much in debt to CBS until mid 79 when things started to take off for them in the USA.
So I guess CBS were along for the long ride.
I enjoyed watching the film mainly for the interview's and old footage of London. The Clash certainly had something to say at the time, that's pretty obvious the way Temple could tie in what was happening in the UK/ London climate with the footage and lyrics. Just like the Pistols films.