Why become a member? ×

Facebook

Pinball

Hi, I'm concerned about the way Facebook is heading. I'm in a new Band who have amassed over 70 likes, with recent post reaches of approaching a couple of hundred. I also have a personal account. Things have occurred in the last couple of months that make me nervous about depending on FB long term:

1. The Angry Badgers, my band need a hundred likes for the page to come up near the top on internet searches so even if someone puts the exact name in they get someone called "Angry Badger" who has 140 likes and no mention of us-A bit annoying but I understand this and we'll soon get there.

2. Band pages can't be promoted and shared in the same way from January

3. A couple of months back I received a personal message from my best friend-fine except that he had died of brain cancer in 2012. This was generated automatically by Facebook and included pictures of us and our families and personal/private messages. I was really shocked at getting a message from beyond the grave that included quotes and things that only he and I had shared.

4. Today I got a similar Facebook generated post reviewing my year. While there wasn't anything bad in it, it did have items in it that I would not have wanted to remember.

All in all I'm kind of loosing faith in the whole Facebook even though it has given me a lot of pleasure in the past. I think it would be better to look elsewhere to promote the band. My son was telling me tonight that he knows of several people who have deleted their accounts due to concerns about privacy.

I'm not impressed!

Note: If you would be so kind as to like this page that would help solve one of the issues: https://www.facebook.com/TheAngryBadgers?ref=hl

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1419455048' post='2640225']
Sort of understand your personal privacy issues but as far as using it to promote a band, privacy is the last thing a band wants.

If you need more likes post your link here and it will happen.

Les
[/quote]

I suppose my concerns are contradictory as I want privacy and publicity at the same time. I do feel like my privacy is been invaded though and will post accordingly in the future .I'll take your advice and put a ling on the first post and ask for more likes :)

Edited by Pinball

Your band needs to be where your audience is. If that's not Facebook then you need to be concentrating your efforts there, but chances are that most of them do use FB to a greater or lesser extent.

You can control most (but not all) of the notifications you get in settings, and you can opt out of tracking [url="http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices"]here[/url] (or use a plugin for your browser like Ghostery). But collecting data on people is what IT companies like Google and Facebook are all about - we're not the customers, we're the product. Deleting your personal account is certainly worthwhile if you have concerns but, as noted above, it's defeating the point to hide your band page.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1419458943' post='2640287']
Sorry. I can't see anywhere that it says you'll have to pay.
[/quote]

Hmm neither do I, my understanding was that when you share something from a band page it will no longer automatically go to people who have liked your page but that there will be an option to pay to have the information circulated. Hopefully I'm wrong though. There is no charge for having band pages etc, which is good news. I'm not really up on facebook etc. can anyone else clarify?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1419457712' post='2640262']
re: The change in January - you'll probably have to be a bit creative around how you pitch your posts. If they're straight ads, you'll have to pay. If they're 'Hey everyone.. have you seen...?' you might get away with it.
Time will tell.
[/quote]
Good thinking

I think what they're saying is if you use the free service to push content that's of a particular nature (see the three examples) Facebook will detect this as content people are fed up with seeing and reduce the audience.

If you want to publish that kind of material then you'll be better off using paid advertisements.

Essentially they're cutting down on commercial spam. What they call "Creative Content". Stuff that you've probably paid a creative agency to create.

I doubt that sharing gig dates and Facebook posts of a text nature ect will be affected.

Gentlemen (and ladies of course) shame on you !

A fellow basplayer needs some likes on his facebook page to foil an imposter band ! (Probably another BC member :lol: ) and I think
after 212 views and 12 replies there is only me liked his band.

Heed the call to arms.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/TheAngryBadgers?ref=ts&fref=ts"]https://www.facebook...?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]

we are legion

Les

Deleted my facebook about 9 months ago, I didnt like the way I could be talking say on here about something only to get a facebook suggestion about it a few days later! Nuked mine the whole hog, deleted every friend one at a time before pulling the trigger. I've not missed out on anything important that could be done via text either.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419467961' post='2640368']
Deleted my facebook about 9 months ago, I didnt like the way I could be talking say on here about something only to get a facebook suggestion about it a few days later! Nuked mine the whole hog, deleted every friend one at a time before pulling the trigger. I've not missed out on anything important that could be done via text either.
[/quote]

That's nothing to do with Facebook. That's your cookies settings. All sites use them.

http://www.allaboutcookies.org

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1419465469' post='2640357']
Gentlemen (and ladies of course) shame on you !

A fellow basplayer needs some likes on his facebook page to foil an imposter band ! (Probably another BC member :lol: ) and I think
after 212 views and 12 replies there is only me liked his band.

Heed the call to arms.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/TheAngryBadgers?ref=ts&fref=ts"]https://www.facebook...?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]

we are legion

Les
[/quote]

Thanks M8 much appreciated, every little "like" helps.

and thanks Dad and SRP. I totally understand people who avoid Facebook. Even though I'm the oldest I'm the only member of the band and of my family who uses it. I have had a lot of personal pleasure from using it in the past-its great for keeping up friendships

Merry Christmas :)

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1419462564' post='2640328']
Hmm neither do I, my understanding was that when you share something from a band page it will no longer automatically go to people who have liked your page but that there will be an option to pay to have the information circulated. Hopefully I'm wrong though. There is no charge for having band pages etc, which is good news. I'm not really up on facebook etc. can anyone else clarify?
[/quote]
They haven't automatically gone to people who've liked your page for some years now - perhaps to increase ad revenue but just as likely to cut down on clutter. For people to see more of your posts they need to be interacting with your page a regular basis. Take a look [url="http://edgerank.net/"]here[/url] for more on this. That article seems to to have been written a while ago, as Edgerank has been updated regularly to be far more sophisticated. I'd imagine the new changes are yet another update.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1419493861' post='2640391']

That's nothing to do with Facebook. That's your cookies settings. All sites use them.

http://www.allaboutcookies.org
[/quote]
I know im still bring followed everywhere but without Facebook they cant turn my recent viewings of stuff into suggestions, requests and adverts to shove down my throat! I was looking at Atari 2600 games on ebay then a week later my facebook is full of Atari stuff, I dont like it.

I was going to start a bass playing account to keep in contact with bands and musos I know to keep in the loop and get dep gigs etc but to be honest people have got hold of me no problem and I'm as busy as ever :)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1419524028' post='2640650']
Liked. Every little helps. ;)
[/quote]
Indeed it does much appreciated, and we will hill links to some new recordings in January :)

24 to go!

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1419499922' post='2640416']

They haven't automatically gone to people who've liked your page for some years now - perhaps to increase ad revenue but just as likely to cut down on clutter. For people to see more of your posts they need to be interacting with your page a regular basis. Take a look [url="http://edgerank.net/"]here[/url] for more on this. That article seems to to have been written a while ago, as Edgerank has been updated regularly to be far more sophisticated. I'd imagine the new changes are yet another update.
[/quote]

'Organic' reach from FaceBook dropped dramatically in 2014 as part of their drive to increase ad revenue.

I manage our shop page that has over 7,000 likes, an artist page with about 1,750 and a fan page for the artist that has about 3,500.

The number of people seeing any posts made on these three sites is way lower than the like count. On the 7,000 like page we range from 2,000 to as low as 150 for very similar posts.

The artist page fluctuates by even more, can be as low as 50 but I've also seen it go over 6,000.

I think it's a bit rubbish that liking a page doesn't mean you'll ever see a post from that page (which is increasingly common) but I can also understand that FB is a commercial entity and not a charitable organisation.

Maybe they've just got the balance a bit wrong :(