Why become a member? ×

Ebay 'heads up' thread?

Beedster

OK, it's been a bit of a quiet week at work so I've been perusing the bay amd, to my surprise, there are some pretty amazing bargains to be had on BIN, and they're usually snapped up pretty quick (I suspect by dealers or people out to sell on at a profit). Given that this week I've already given heads up to a couple of BCers who've subsequently picked up somne real bargains (Mickeyboro's £100 Thunderbird today being an example), I was wondering whether we should have an ebay BIN sticky in 'items for sale' or 'bass guitars'? I know that this goes on occasionally anyway but all that would be required in the post would be the link - at present, by the time you've started the new thread and written the description the '65 Precision for £50 has sold :)
Just an idea, but if there's great basses out there, I'd rather we had them than the 'buy for one dollar/sell for ten' guys.
Chris

+1

Good idea - and I appreciate your tip, Chris, even if the wife didn't! Many thanks.

Thanks to someone else's tip I picked up a Sub a few months ago which I sold on to Mark of this parish at the same price I paid, so if nothing else it's broadening my horizons at little cost to me.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='26755' date='Jul 3 2007, 10:32 PM']+1

Good idea - and I appreciate your tip, Chris, even if the wife didn't! Many thanks.

Thanks to someone else's tip I picked up a Sub a few months ago which I sold on to Mark of this parish at the same price I paid, so if nothing else it's broadening my horizons at little cost to me.[/quote]

LOL, to be honest Mickey, I was going to buy the TBird and sell it on at cost on here had it not sold. There are a few guys on here who will see the thread, buy the bass and then sell it on at a profit which is life I guess, but the thread I suggest will at least give everyone else a fair crack of the whip
Cheers
Chris
PS perhaps we should set up a 'shoewatch' thread for the wives as well

Had a word about the same thing to one of our illustrious leaders back in May, and the bottom line of his arguement against such a sub forum was

[quote]I don't know about you, but if I saw something that I was seriously interested in, the last thing I'd want is for someone to be posting a link about it![/quote]

which I agree with now.

[quote name='wmsheep' post='26801' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:00 AM']Had a word about the same thing to one of our illustrious leaders back in May, and the bottom line of his arguement against such a sub forum was
which I agree with now.[/quote]

I think that would be true with auction format items in which case too many interested bidders would almost certainly bump up the price significantly, but with BIN items, if one of us doesn't get the bass, someone else will. Let's face it, if it's BIN and you're interested, you buy it, if not, you let your mates know about it pretty damn quick :)
Chris

I think it's a good idea, but for some reason I never see these amazing BIN deals. Actually, if anyones got a computer, I just got one of these for £50 for a refurb, made him an offer, although he did ask for 52.99 initially, even at that, great price for Vista. 250138260303

Edited by guitarnbass

I think an ebay watching subforum is a good idea. It works well on other forums I use. Although you can end up bidding against another basschatter over a really nice bass and pushing the price up, that could also happen without an ebay subforum. At least you have the [i]chance[/i] to know about each other and potentially agree, "you take this one, help me find the next one and/or let me know if you want to pass it on again".

And if you find something you really want for yourself, don't feel obliged to tell the basschatting world about it on the subforum. Just go for it. Then if someone posts it on the ebay subform, get in there, say you want it and I think most people will respect that.

I think it's an excellent idea - I trawl Ebay most days & see plenty of stuff I think BCers would be interested in - even if I'm not myself (I mostly look for ancient Oriental junk, of course!) so it'd be good to have a heads-up area.

Jon.

actually my wife has been a nightmare on the bay, and she picks up new or NIB stuff for some silly prices so i don't need any heads up on the shoe thing though it may prove a good leverage point unless she spends it all on shoes and theres nowt left for a bass.

nice idea, BIN stuff isn't going to get bumped up because of interest though

[quote name='The Funk' post='26977' date='Jul 4 2007, 02:01 PM']But women do not want men to buy them anything secondhand - everyone should know that by now.[/quote]

You have my word on it that women WILL let you buy them secondhand - provided its
a) Worth it
:) Looks new
c) Looks like you spent at least 5 times what it actually cost you!

:huh: