Why become a member? ×

Fret-King Esprit

Machines

[quote name='ped' post='258083' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:46 PM']To be honest, whilst the looks aren't for me and the price is definitely expensive, sadly lots of companies think that is an acceptable amount for a simple passive bass with a couple of ordinary pickups. Fender have been doing [i]worse[/i] for years ;0) At least this has some individuality.[/quote]

...but Fender play on their name and history. Whilst Fret-King seem to be playing on their....err....erm... any ideas?

Don't touch Fender's either...

[quote name='ped' post='258203' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:20 PM']I know where you are coming from, but I think that Fender are stretching that one beyond all belief now. Still waiting for information on that bog seat!!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Yup. As long as there are people who must have Gibson or Fender on their headstock, they'll do just fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='ped' post='258198' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:15 PM']What's the point in that not-quite-complete bog seat? Never understood those.[/quote]

Competition model.
It's to save weight and improve.... Uh....
Laptimes?

Edit for on-topic!

Maye if they stuck (tap-able) a JJ in the bridge and moved the P closer to the neck?
Better still, do it with a Lipstick-style set of pick-ups. On a black one with a B/W/B scratchplate, that'd look better.
But whatever else, ditch that nasty bridge!! I've held off buying a Squier TB for the same reason, and that costs about a third as much!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='315682' date='Oct 27 2008, 11:52 AM']Did anybody see the FretKing guitar version of this bass at Exeter?

That was really nice.

Lies.[/quote]

I was there with my guitarist and he spent 10 mins playing it. Seemed to like it.

I quite like the styling of this bass (so that makes 1 of us) but I wouldn't pay that sort of money for it.

[quote name='elom' post='317199' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:06 AM']I was there with my guitarist and he spent 10 mins playing it. Seemed to like it.

I quite like the styling of this bass (so that makes 1 of us) but I wouldn't pay that sort of money for it.[/quote]

You aren't both blind are you??

[quote name='Buzz' post='318757' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:32 AM']I like the styling, but then again I do own a T-bird.

I'd say that the bass needs not only a proper bridge, but could do with a couple of proper soapbar pups rather than the p-j config, that would probably help a lot with the sound.[/quote]

It could also do with a case that once the bass is inside, locks and never opens again...

I dare say the Esprit is intended to appeal to the kind of folks who would say your Spitfire is a godawful coffee-table of a bass. Speaking as the owner of a godawful coffee-table myself, I'm not keep on the Esprit either, but then again individual taste is a bizarre thing innit? :)

[quote name='Rich' post='318997' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:51 PM']I dare say the Esprit is intended to appeal to the kind of folks who would say your Spitfire is a godawful coffee-table of a bass. Speaking as the owner of a godawful coffee-table myself, I'm not keep on the Esprit either, but then again individual taste is a bizarre thing innit? :)[/quote]

I could always spray my coffee table a different colour. You couldn't do jack with the Fret King... apart from burn it maybe.

It's funny that you choose to focus on the Spitfire. My Rumour is far more coffee table than my Spitfire... and that could be painted too.