Why become a member? ×

Piano, Cello and Bass....suggestions for something to play?

seashell

I'm spending Christmas this year with a couple of friends who play piano and cello to about grade 3 standard.
They've asked me to bring my bass along so that we can have a little musical soiree (purely for our own amusement).

Would any of you have any ideas of tunes that would sound nice played with that combination of instruments? We like all sorts of music, so any genre considered. But it would have to be simple enough for 3 bumbling amateurs to play after a few drinks! :lol:

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! Carols sound a good idea. I have some (piano) sheet music I could send them in advance so they could get practicising! I'd just have to work our a bassline.

Some Beatles stuff would be good. I already know Come Together, so could suggest they look at that.
Likewise Sunshine of Your Love, I'm sure they could pick that up.

Kashmir would be a great one, thanks Leschirons!! :) I shall definitely suggest that to them. I think I've got the music somwhere as well.

I'm not sure how my piano playing friend would get on with Thunderstruck! I can imagine her collapsing over the piano at the end, in the manner of the Church Organist from the Simpsons when Bart swapped the music and she ended up playing In a Gada da Vida.
Now there's an another idea.... :ph34r:

I was at a wedding fair recently and the string quartet (who were missing a stuck in traffic violin) did some great stuff as a trio, the pick of which was an Elbow track, the name of which I can't remember now, but it's their big festival sing along and has a string part played on keys.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='Fozza' timestamp='1418201638' post='2627823']
You Suffer by Napalm Death.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8[/url]

My bass teacher used to play guitar with them back in their very early days, so he could teach me, lol! :-) He's not on this one though. :D
[/quote]

My reply ended up in Fozza's quote somehow. Just to clarify, dear readers, its my bass teacher who is the Napalm Death guy.
(I've had a few ales)

Edited by seashell

• 2 weeks later...

Despite all the excellent suggestions here, we've decided to go for a very old song called 'The Cowboy Carol'. It was in a lovely illustrated book of carols I had when I was a little kid. I've never heard it performed before other than my Mum playing it on the piano.
I always liked it. It was a bit different and sounds like an old Western song. So I've sent the music to my friends and we're all practising it now.
I spent loads of time on it last night. My music reading is SO slow. Also, I had to work out the treble 'right hand' part and record that so I could then play the bass part along with it
It's taking bloody ages and I still haven't perfected it. Then I want to change the bass part a bit so I won't be doing exactly the same as the cello.
All this for a song we will play once in private!
I'm hoping it will be good for my musical education. At least it's forcing me to use the dots! :-)

I was going to ask if they both only play from the dots. If the pianist can play from charts it'll make it a lot more fun as that would leave the cello the tune, you some basic riffs while the pianist gets stuck into some chord work and provides the rhythm. Quick and simple formula for playing practically any tune from the 1001 tunes for buskers books.

Never know you could form a band.

Record it though. It would be good to laugh at in a few years time when they're accomplished musicians.

:)

Edited by TimR

Thanks, Tim but they only play from dots. Definitely going to record it though. If any or all of us could manage some singing as well it would by e a triumph! :-)

I'd love to form a band but they are in Cambridge and I'm in Brum. Plus they just do it for their own amusement. I'm always keen to foist my performances on the general public, but they are a bit more reticent! :D