Why become a member? ×

Second hand price spike ?

spacey

I suppose a lot of this is down to sale and demand factors. There does seem to be a load of very competitively priced used Fenders out there, but then there also seems to be tons of new ones about as well.

From my experience of two other brands Gibson and Rickenbacker - the frankly ridiculous front end pricing (along with UK availability) of basses made by these companies is understandaby pushing prices up in the secondhand market. That said, it's like houses. Why should I sell one of my basses for less than the market price?

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417350835' post='2619367']
We are seeing a rather silly price spike in second hand bass prices ?
Any one agree, second hand guitar prices have plummeted the last few months but basses have risen.
A correction must be well over due now.
[/quote]

second hand prices are what people are willing to pay... it changes, it varies...
if nobody sold, the prices would go down... if they don't it's because they sell, so the prices are roughly right.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1417356911' post='2619482']
I suppose a lot of this is down to sale and demand factors. There does seem to be a load of very competitively priced used Fenders out there, but then there also seems to be tons of new ones about as well.

From my experience of two other brands Gibson and Rickenbacker - the frankly ridiculous front end pricing (along with UK availability) of basses made by these companies is understandaby pushing prices up in the secondhand market. That said, it's like houses. Why should I sell one of my basses for less than the market price?
[/quote]

The market price is dictated by what the market is willing to pay and how badly you want to sell. You COULD wait and not sell it below what you deem to be "market value", but in the wrong market you could wait a while. That is why there have been houses on the market in this country for over 18 months in this country, something that is just unheard of in aus.

Ask anyone trying to sell a used spector if prices are rising lol

Thomann are currently selling a Squier VM jazz for £234 (free delivery) One I was bidding on the other day (Ebay UK) for a French guitarist friend finished at £196 + delivery. So this is going to end up nearly the same price as brand new with no 3 year guarantee or 30 day refund option and, it had a few light dings on it :blink:

I can see how the OP gets this impression although, the seller didn't set the price in this case, it was the buyers.

Seems prices are heading skyward on FEEBay, but that is asking price. As usual you see the same basses at daft prices on there week after week.
Since September it is obvious to see the effect (on more expensive basses), of FEEBay raising the max final sale fee from £75 to £250.

Whilst some seem to be asking a lot for a bass on here, with few exceptions they are not selling at those ambitious prices.
So easy on here to search for X bass and see what prices the are ACTUALLY selling at.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1417551223' post='2621679']
So easy on here to search for X bass and see what prices the are ACTUALLY selling at.
[/quote]
I'm not sure how you would know what a bass ACTUALLY sold for here on BC.

Lots of people have made offers for basses that i've had for sale but no one apart from me and the buyer would ever know the actual price paid.

I've had a look at our shop actual selling prices and there's definitely not been a used bass price spike from our stock.

The odd thing (given that we have to charge VAT, card fees and have relatively higher overheads to cover) is that EBay list prices are regularly higher than we're selling at.

I've also seen used prices in other places as well that are almost as high as some new values. This is especially true of continental Europe pricing where new values (of anything not available for bulk purchase by Thomann) are sometimes a lot higher than UK.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1417553724' post='2621726']
I'm not sure how you would know what a bass ACTUALLY sold for here on BC.

Lots of people have made offers for basses that i've had for sale but no one apart from me and the buyer would ever know the actual price paid.
[/quote]

Quite right, but it's unlikely that somebody with a bass out for say £600, has sold it for a great deal less without reducing the price on the advert?
Guess the point I was badly trying to make is that if half a dozen basses of X brand/model/rough year have been advertised at £600, and appear to have sold at around that price, it's a bit ambitious putting the same kind of bass out at £800.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417699038' post='2623162']
I think second hand prices are pretty reasonable to be honest... some great bargains to be had in the BC marketplace :)
[/quote]

Yes. there are always a few ambitious ads, but generally they don't sell. The market decides...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1417555211' post='2621758']
I've had a look at our shop actual selling prices and there's definitely not been a used bass price spike from our stock.

The odd thing (given that we have to charge VAT, card fees and have relatively higher overheads to cover) is that EBay list prices are regularly higher than we're selling at.

I've also seen used prices in other places as well that are almost as high as some new values. This is especially true of continental Europe pricing where new values (of anything not available for bulk purchase by Thomann) are sometimes a lot higher than UK.
[/quote]

+1. Over here in France, it is very rare to find a used bass at a price that is attractive. Maybe it's a European thing but they tend to want all their money back from when they bought it new 8 years ago. That's not a problem when it's some sought after piece that has actually gone up in price but there are a million adverts asking €700 for a MIM fender. It would actually be a little cheaper for me to buy a new Stingray from Bass Central (inc all the duties) than buy a late secondhand one here.