Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering speakers thread

bjelkeman

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1425638378' post='2709235']
I should have explained that the pics above are of my H115 (old model). I had the tweeter added before it left the manufacturer.
[/quote]

That's lovely! How's the weight of it?

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1425641634' post='2709273']
That's lovely! How's the weight of it?
[/quote]

It's really not heavy (16kg ish) and easy to lift with one hand. My only gripe is that there is no handle on the top. I say gripe, but it's really just an observation. In all other respects, this is a superb piece of kit and I loves it!

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1425652132' post='2709416']
It's really not heavy (16kg ish) and easy to lift with one hand. My only gripe is that there is no handle on the top. I say gripe, but it's really just an observation. In all other respects, this is a superb piece of kit and I loves it!
[/quote]

Not bad at all for a 1x15 :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1417539483' post='2621512']
Thanks mate. I spent lots of time agonising over which style to go for! I wanted tweed, but thought it wouldn't look quite right with the Markbass yellow. Pictures still don't do them justice though!
[/quote]

See, that is the problem... :lol:
I'm going to run this with a Ag head and they are both grey/silver so I'm think the grill will have to be
the blue/silver cloth.... but that doesn't help with the coverings...
I keep pouring over the pics of various cabs....

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427886143' post='2735396']

See, that is the problem... :lol:
I'm going to run this with a Ag head and they are both grey/silver so I'm think the grill will have to be
the blue/silver cloth.... but that doesn't help with the coverings...
I keep pouring over the pics of various cabs....
[/quote]

Well, after all that thought and corcearn about colours clashing I went and got a TH500!! (pictured a few posts above)

I'm using TH500 head, was about to go down the Ag SL112 route, but thinking now TKS could be a better option.

Does anyone have a view on how the TKS S112 compares with the SL112 ?

And what size gig would people feel a TH500 and a single S112 would cope with?

I demo'd the S112 with the SL112 and the CN112 on a visit with fellow BC-er Policesquad and the thoughts are here
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248837-cn112-v-sl112-v-s112/page__p__2607747__hl__sl112__fromsearch__1#entry2607747

The problem, IMO, is whether the TH500 at 8ohms is enough for your gig...or any other 500/4 ohms amp, for that matter..?
It isn't for me as I ran a gig with a TH500 into 8 ohm Aguilar cab the other day
and I wont be doing that again.
I am going to do that same gig with a 4ohm cab, but the issue is more with the way
I play ( lightly ) but you may be able to do it..and in that case the choice between
SL112 and TKS112 is ok. If one cab is enough then so will the other be, and it is simply a choice
between which cab you prefer.

In general, I don't think loudish gigs are possible with just a single 112 at 8ohms.. but you might find
it differently.

As far as which cab goes... I found in favour of the TKS S112 which is why I've got them on order.
The S112 is a magical little box sound-wise, IMO.. and the build is exemplary, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428406520' post='2740935']
I demo'd the S112 with the SL112 and the CN112 on a visit with fellow BC-er Policesquad and the thoughts are here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248837-cn112-v-sl112-v-s112/page__p__2607747__hl__sl112__fromsearch__1#entry2607747"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2607747[/url]

The problem, IMO, is whether the TH500 at 8ohms is enough for your gig...or any other 500/4 ohms amp, for that matter..?
It isn't for me as I ran a gig with a TH500 into 8 ohm Aguilar cab the other day
and I wont be doing that again.
I am going to do that same gig with a 4ohm cab, but the issue is more with the way
I play ( lightly ) but you may be able to do it..and in that case the choice between
SL112 and TKS112 is ok. If one cab is enough then so will the other be, and it is simply a choice
between which cab you prefer.

In general, I don't think loudish gigs are possible with just a single 112 at 8ohms.. but you might find
it differently.

As far as which cab goes... I found in favour of the TKS S112 which is why I've got them on order.
The S112 is a magical little box sound-wise, IMO.. and the build is exemplary, IMO.
[/quote]

JT - belated response, but thanks for this, really helpful. Mind made up on 2 x S112s, one with tweeter. Just need to decide the colour!

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1428573227' post='2742487']
JT - belated response, but thanks for this, really helpful. Mind made up on 2 x S112s, one with tweeter. Just need to decide the colour!
[/quote]

:lol: I know what you mean.... it took me a while to settle on the colour.
I've gone for one horn as well...and I wanted a silver type cloth grill to match my amps..
but the golds and the oxbloods really got my attention.....as did the embroidered type
cab covering....

[URL=http://s674.photobucket.com/user/FuNkShUi/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150125_183157.jpg.html][IMG]http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv109/FuNkShUi/Mobile%20Uploads/20150125_183157.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here are my two.
Taken in practice last night with my phone, so quality of photo isn't great, but they are ;)

• 4 weeks later...

So the space my band uses for practice comes with equipment, but the Ampeg BA 115 didn't really classify even as insufficient when a drummer joined. So a new small rig I can carry to each band practice was needed. So, meet the small rig (GK MB500 Fusion and TKS S112).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/suDmFw][/url]

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1417590724' post='2621969']

This. As I've said before, the 6" driver in these cabs is their secret weapon :)
[/quote]

Id love to hear these and 6" speakers sound great. I really like the bergantinos im using now, but I used to use 2x accugroove tri110s which had a 6" driver and I absolutely adored them. I am really interested in these TKS cabs, are they very clear/hi fi or are they a vintage sounding cab? im currently thinking 1×12, 1×6 and horn with the tweed covers and oxblood cloth x2 :)

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1431202135' post='2768816']
Id love to hear these and 6" speakers sound great. I really like the bergantinos im using now, but I used to use 2x accugroove tri110s which had a 6" driver and I absolutely adored them. I am really interested in these TKS cabs, are they very clear/hi fi or are they a vintage sounding cab? im currently thinking 1×12, 1×6 and horn with the tweed covers and oxblood cloth x2 :)
[/quote]

Tommy does every combination you can think of - tweeter / no tweeter / 6" / none of the above...

• 4 weeks later...

I did my first gig with the S112s using a five string last night. Having pulled out my first bass - a Crafter fiver, thought I'd give it a go. I've done dozens of gigs with them, but this was the first time I'd played a five through them.

I was really pleasantly surprised! Given that this is a £150 bass, and the B string isn't exactly brilliant... Even at gig volume the cabs were punchy, clear and even. I'm borrowing a Sadowsky 5 this weekend and literally can't wait!

I'm very encouraged with 2xS112's in a practice setting.
Lovely precise voicing altho the sound is never harsh or brittle.
Plenty of pronounced mids, but sweet and not at all honky ..
I'd describe them as forgiving as well...but not overly warm.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1433607073' post='2792496']
I'm very encouraged with 2xS112's in a practice setting.
Lovely precise voicing altho the sound is never harsh or brittle.
Plenty of pronounced mids, but sweet and not at all honky ..
I'd describe them as forgiving as well...but not overly warm.
[/quote]

Great. What finish did you go for in the end? Are you playing them with the Tonehammer?

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1433607338' post='2792501']
Great. What finish did you go for in the end? Are you playing them with the Tonehammer?
[/quote]

I went for classic black with the silver/blue cloth...which is darker than the normal silver.
Finish is great and the tolex works...
Covers are good and not quite as think as Aguilars but will do a good job.

Am going to run with the TH500 for a while but might also put a DB750 thru them and possibly a
Demeter... but loving the sheer tone of the TH and TKS cabs at the moment and I'll bed that
in first.
I have been using a DB210 with the TH500 and I think the TKS S112's pr are a tad darker overall
but very precise in the mids, without the honk.
So, between the TH500 and DB and TKS cabs, I've not had to touch the amp at all...the bass is fine passive
thru TKS, and great active.