Why become a member? ×

Talkbass

CamdenRob

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1415987752' post='2605908']
In 2007 I had a warning for using the word[b] 'tits' [/b]on TB. This wasn't the main reason for opening BC but it was one of them!

Funnily enough, BC's forbear 'Bassworld' was created off the back of a thread on Talkbass called 'British Bassists' or something. We thought "We should have our own forum".

I rarely visit any more but I've always found it a friendly and informative forum.

ped
[/quote]

Ah yes, the" Hot Girls in the Audience" Photo thread? The kudos seemed to be in having many photogenic girls draped around the Bassist, to which other posters would variously rate for "hotness". Can't think why it did not catch on here....

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1416069440' post='2606588']
The kudos seemed to be in having many photogenic girls draped around the Bassist, to which other posters would variously rate for "hotness". Can't think why it did not catch on here...
[/quote]

We're English bass players, and therefore homosexuals. :D

Ah yes, the" Hot Girls in the Audience" Photo thread? The kudos seemed to be in having many photogenic girls draped around the Bassist, to which other posters would variously rate for "hotness". Can't think why it did not catch on here....
[/quote]

Ooh, haven't seen that. Is it on the DB forum?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1416072531' post='2606632']

not all of us ;)
[/quote]

I think the reference was to the American tendency to refer to the entirety of the UK as "England". When I was in Houston one time, I kept getting asked if I was Irish. Bizarre.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416070487' post='2606603']
We're English bass players, and therefore homosexuals. :D
[/quote]

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1416071340' post='2606615']
Ooh, haven't seen that. Is it on the DB forum?
[/quote]

There's a whole underground scene going on in there, 'Sound Posts', 'F Holes', you just have to know what to look for ;)

Edited by Billy Apple

[/quote]

It's odd, the Talkbass moderators are really jumpy about language and the slightest mention of politics will get you banned, but I've seen casual sexism like the above thread, along with transphobic and homophobic "humour" left untouched. There was even a guy with a rape joke in his signature for a long time.
Not to be sycophantic, but I think the mods over here strike a better balance...

A lot of decent guys on TB. However, if you diplomatically disagree with a mods position on any topic, they ban you.

Also I would say that about 90% of the members are non- gigging bass players including a few once a monthers. Only 10% are out there gigging on the front lines. But that 90% sure have a lot of opinions about gigging.

Blue

Edited by blue

I signed up on TB, BC and Bassic (German speaking forum) and all 3 have something to offer for me.
TB is mainly a great source of information, but it has quite a lot of people shouting around and claiming they know, if actually they don't. But hey, it's the US of A!
BC is just pure fun, mainly, for me. I like all that sarcasm, not taking yourself too seriously and the like ... As it happened in this thread as well, actually. So, what about Wales?
Bassic is actually kinda boring, but it has this local aspect and I can even meet people.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1416523914' post='2611261']
Also I would say that about 90% of the members are non- gigging bass players including a few once a monthers. Only 10% are out there gigging on the front lines. But that 90% sure have a lot of opinions about gigging.

Blue
[/quote]
So, pretty much like here then??

[/quote]

How did you come to this conclusion ?

A lot of decent guys on TB. However, if you diplomatically disagree with a mods position on any topic, they ban you.

Also I would say that about 90% of the members are non- gigging bass players [b]including a few once a monthers.[/b] Only 10% are out there gigging on the front lines. But that 90% sure have a lot of opinions about gigging.

Blue
[/quote]

What's that supposed to mean? That as a "once a monther" I don't get to have a valid opinion about gigging? Surely playing gigs once a month is still "gigging", no? What a bizarre thing to say.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1416686446' post='2612682']
What's that supposed to mean? That as a "once a monther" I don't get to have a valid opinion about gigging? Surely playing gigs once a month is still "gigging", no? What a bizarre thing to say.
[/quote]

Hmm, yes. How many gigs do you have to do before 'gigging' is, er... 'gigging'? Once a week? Every day? :)

[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416686873' post='2612686']
Hmm, yes. How many gigs do you have to do before 'gigging' is, er... 'gigging'? Once a week? Every day? :)
[/quote]

I agree with both of the above quotes.

What I'd like to know is what proof does "blue" have that the statistics he quotes are valid ?

"I would say...." does not constitute proof. :P[size=4] [/size]

[/quote]

I guess it doesn't earn you the extra stripe, or something