Why become a member? ×

Mike Lull Jeff Ament Thunderbird

NancyJohnson

• 2 months later...

I had a brief play on one at Bass Direct yesterday. Absolutely astonishing bass. Looks great, long as the QE2, feels great, wafer thin and as light as a feather. Lovely 3D punch from the pups. I couldn't imagine anyone having anything but a lot of fun with this bass.

It's like a real Thunderbird, but with all the bad bits made better, with a little cartoon goodness added for good measure.

Is it worth the price? I'd say so. Cut out the middle-man, save like f*** and buy this.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1422144294' post='2669288']
Shhh. [size=1]I don't need to save![/size]
[/quote]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1422174705' post='2669377']
Well, get it bought then
[/quote]

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1422178298' post='2669416']
Bwahaha.
[/quote]

Let me put this a different way then. Get the missus told.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422186562' post='2669544']
Is it just the pics or is the body really that huge? It's like an aircraft carrier... but then I have been playing a Spector, so...
[/quote]

Yep, the body is over-size, so compared to the dims of a Spector it's ginormous. I think it adds to a bit of cartoon-like fun to it, but it's easily manageable. The body of a Gibbo is quite small I think.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1422193270' post='2669646']
If I was a man with an interest in TBirds, of a certain age, with a little disposable income, this would be a no-brain-er. Buy.
[/quote]

[i]If[/i] I had the disposable I'd buy one, no doubt. I like the colour and the matte finish. And it would cover the old beer gut quite well. Plus, I've never owned anything T-Bird shaped so that would be novel.

Edited by discreet

My situation is this. I have the funds, but, more importantly, I have seven (very decent) basses within two meters from where I'm typing this, some of which would need selling before I even thought about buying a Lull. I've spent some time building this collection and I'd like to keep some of those. I could lose two or three if a BLACK Lull became available.

I doubt one will become available, theres not many around. Just order one up sir. The benefit over the gibsons, aside from being far better in every way, is you can choose what woods you want. If the standard mahogany deal is a little dark and you want a bit more grind, throw some maple or ash in there.
It would work for the stuff you do. Mine is a maple/ash combo and I just got this in from Mike below, a maple mahogany oversized PT4 Matt black.
I know, it's not a t bird...

• 1 month later...

I've made preliminary enquiries with both Lull and Bass Direct - there's no black ones available, but Lull have all the bits ready to build one. I have a couple of choices here...Bass Direct price is £3.1K (eek!), but I could get a mate to pick one up and bring it in when he makes a trip over (which is frequently). The long and the short of this is that I'm going to do my darnedest to land one, one way or another. My wife has given it a conditional thumbs up, but I'm not allowed to dip into last years redundancy swag, so I'm gonna need to sell a couple of basses - probably the 4003 and one of my Thunderbirds. That should do it.

Wish me luck.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

I've never really got the thing with the tuners on the underside of the headstock, and 'signature' models have never really interested me.

The one that really floats my boat is the T5, but I would really struggle to justify buying one.