Why become a member? ×

BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HOME RECORDING

Skol303

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

And I've doubled the buffer size

You found it then!

I found recently that just one open Bias FX caused cpu loads of 120% and horrible glitch distortion...

The problem was the buffer was set at 64kbits - I'd set it to this a year ago to get latency down to less than 8ms... Changing to 512 gave a 5% load with 4 bias, 1 mixroom 1 bassroom and 4 neutron elements!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have up-to-date recommendations for a Logic Pro X tutor that can work online or, ideally, do in person visits in London? (apologies to the mods if such questions aren’t permitted)

Based on the advice in the first few pages of the thread I’d like to go the tutor route to get up and running. I’m having a bit of trouble even setting up my DAW, interface and a reamp box (designed for running a pedal loop) to A/B pedals without massive volume drop and I need a lifesaver to come and help me be a menace to myself and others in terms of pedal demoing.

I’ve been churning what I can on the internet to solve my issues, including speaking with Radial, but I think a trained professional is required! Plus, I’d like to learn how to do a lot more than I currently can.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the super helpful resources!

• 5 months later...

I'm looking to connect my drum machine to my DAW via midi, the drum machine (Behringer RD-6 is midi compatible, but it turns out my audio interface (Komplete Audio 2) isn't. Do I have any other midi options barring getting my hands on an audio interface with in-built midi connectivity? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, TeresaFR said:

I'm looking to connect my drum machine to my DAW via midi, the drum machine (Behringer RD-6 is midi compatible, but it turns out my audio interface (Komplete Audio 2) isn't. Do I have any other midi options barring getting my hands on an audio interface with in-built midi connectivity? Thanks.

I think the RD-6 has Midi over USB.. Just connect the RD-6 to your computer via usb and it should show up as a midi interface

14 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

As has been said the drum machine should do MIDI over USB. What's your computer and what DAW are you using? Some Windows configurations may not be happy about multiple USB sources communicating with the DAW.

• 6 months later...

Cool thread guys.

I currently go from my pedalboard to a focusrite solo which i use as a monitor. Then use my laptop camera as video. Unfortunately this works well up to a point as audio is always mono, in one ear. 

Do I need to invest in a focusrite scarlet to get stereo glory? If so do I need mic lead xlr to connect from my pedalboard?

Recently bought wee yamaha mixer to try and film playing along to covers but still having issues so might sell again. If the focusrite scarlet can solve these issues then the yamaha will go.

No. It’s how you have it set in your DAW. You need to change the bass’ input channel from stereo to mono (usually done within the DAW’s settings).

What DAW are you using?

Edited by xgsjx

• 5 months later...

I'm looking for a recommendation for a microphone to do home vocal recording with Garageband and a Presonus Audiobox iTwo.

This thread has some great examples, but most of them are a number of years old. What I know about vocal recordings could be written on a very small electron and still have space left over for it's mass and position in space.

People have suggsted the Superlux E205 (https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205.htm). Am trying to avoid adding in a new guitar to justify shipping :)

The price is OK, does this still stand as a recommendation these days? I can see that the Prosunus has a 48V button and their FAQ states this is for phantom power so am assuming that's OK. Is it? I hate assuming anything as I've conjured up the magic smoke too many times. My record for magic smoke is £25K when £25K was quite a lot more money than it is now. My boss was not amused but since he was there with me at the time, he couldn't say much and I kept my job.

Beyond that I haven't a clue what to do. I haven't sung for probably 40+ years when I did have a rather nice voice as a kid and then things happened and I didn't have a nice voice <sniff>. I don't want to spend hundreds but £50-£100 is fine for a mike.

Any help or advice greatfully received.

Rob

19 minutes ago, rwillett said:

...People have suggsted the Superlux E205 (https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205.htm). ...

This will do the job just fine. We have several Superlux mics and headphones (some from many years ago, some more recent...) for recording drums, vox and guitar; all are very much up to the job, and well worth their reasonable price. Nit pickers will pick nits, but we're very happy with them. Yes, the 48v mentioned is exactly what's required for these mics. Recommended, with no hesitation nor caveats. You may wish to consider adding a suspension, but it's optional, unless ground-generated noise is a major issue. In our home studio usage, it's seldom really necessary. Hope this helps. :rWNVV2D:

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a microphone to do home vocal recording with Garageband and a Presonus Audiobox iTwo.

This thread has some great examples, but most of them are a number of years old. What I know about vocal recordings could be written on a very small electron and still have space left over for it's mass and position in space.

People have suggsted the Superlux E205 (https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205.htm). Am trying to avoid adding in a new guitar to justify shipping :)

The price is OK, does this still stand as a recommendation these days? I can see that the Prosunus has a 48V button and their FAQ states this is for phantom power so am assuming that's OK. Is it? I hate assuming anything as I've conjured up the magic smoke too many times. My record for magic smoke is £25K when £25K was quite a lot more money than it is now. My boss was not amused but since he was there with me at the time, he couldn't say much and I kept my job.

Beyond that I haven't a clue what to do. I haven't sung for probably 40+ years when I did have a rather nice voice as a kid and then things happened and I didn't have a nice voice <sniff>. I don't want to spend hundreds but £50-£100 is fine for a mike.

Any help or advice greatfully received.

Rob

I'd definitely consider adding the suspension unit (if your recording space doesn't have a solid floor you will pickup all sorts of mechanical noise without it), a pop shield (although you can make one yourself from a wire coat hanger and a pair of tights), and possibly a reflection filter (unless you have a large and/or heavily damped space to record in). With all of that you may also need a more robust microphone stand, or a second one for attaching the pop shield and reflection filter so they don't affect the mic.

@BigRedX Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I can also see a E205 with USB as well as the original one.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e205umkii.htm

I would have throught that the USB one would be the one to have, would I be wrong here? I would assume I am wrong and the 48V is the to get :)

I can also see the suspension units so thats OK.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hm56b_shockmount.htm

A pop guard is no big deal.

My <ahem> recording studio is my office. It's on the first floor and has a suspended wooden floor with business office tiles.  My office isn't that large and isn't heavily damped, indeed I would say it's lots of hard reflective services and unlikely to change. 

Tripods and stands aren't a problem, I do astrophotography and have a range of different tripods from 10Kg loading up to 50Kg+.

I can 3d print any fittings,

Thanks

Rob

You already have an audio interface and anything by Presonus is likely to be far better than the A/D converter built into the Mic, so get the one you originally linked to. The only reason to have the USB version would be if you want to use both inputs on the Presonus interface for other sources and also record from the mic at the same time. Then you'll need to make an aggregate audio device in Audio MIDI setup on you Mac to be able to use both simultaneously.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

You already have an audio interface and anything by Presonus is likely to be far better than the A/D converter built into the Mic, so get the one you originally linked to. The only reason to have the USB version would be if you want to use both inputs on the Presonus interface for other sources and also record from the mic at the same time. Then you'll need to make an aggregate audio device in Audio MIDI setup on you Mac to be able to use both simultaneously.

That's an excellent answer and why I come to Basschat.

many thanks

Rob

I would add that the USB version is offered primarily for those wishing to use the mic for 'podcasting' with a PC, and are not interested in audio interfaces for recording music or singing. A broad generalisation, but basically valid. Just sayin'. B|

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I would add that the USB version is offered primarily for those wishing to use the mic for 'podcasting' with a PC, and are not interested in audio interfaces for recording music or singing. A broad generalisation, but basically valid. Just sayin'. B|

The actual mic capsule should be the same. However the gain structure for the signal path within the mic casing and the D-A convertor are unlikely to be as good or versatile as a decent audio interface.