Why become a member? ×

Is this '72 Precision Legit?

Sammers

Evening!

I've seen a '72 P (lefty) up for sale and managed to get a few pictures off the seller.

As this'll possibly be my first older bass purchase, i'm wondering if there's anything that's stands out as odd to any of you guys.
I'm not really that clued up on older basses other than what I've managed to dig up on t'internet but what I've found is as below (it's being sold as all original);[list]
[*]No skunk stripe (only on maple necks I believe?)
[*]F Plate on the neck
[*]Trust rod adjustment at the heel of the neck
[*]Thumb rest below the G string (as opposed to above the E)
[*]Gold outline on the Fender logo
[*]Neck plate is 3XXXXX which seems correct for the period
[/list]

I'm trying to get pictures sent to me of the pot numbers / neck stamp at the heel but none as yet.
Pics below;

Some more in my Flickr album (let me know if this links borked for whatever reason!)

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/60209713@N08/sets/72157648661455597/"]https://www.flickr.c...57648661455597/[/url]

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated as no doubt I've missed something!

From those pics it looks good and period correct. I'm pretty certain that back then Fender were still cutting up the regular headstock decals and using the 'Fender' part for lefties.

Always good to get pics of the neck, pocket, pickup and pots etc when buying vintage. Given the condition of that one, I reckon it could all be good under the hood, but do check!

Looks lovely.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1414949931' post='2594971']
Make sure you play it before committing. I played a '77 P recently that looked amazing but sounded........ ok. Wasn't worth the very hefty price tag as an instrument to be played, but maybe as an object to hold on to and hope it increases in value.
[/quote]

Of course this advice applies to any bass, regardless of when it was made...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1414950031' post='2594973']
Of course this advice applies to any bass, regardless of when it was made...
[/quote]

Absolutely! I just hate the assumption that all Fenders 25 years old or more will sound amazing, make women want to be with you and men want to be you every time you pluck a string. Some of them just were just so-so.

With uk_lefty on the whole 'looks good, plays...meh', try before you buy thing - I had a 78 Jazz a while ago which was in great condition, all original, all good, but sounded...brown. And not in a good way :P Oh, and it weighed nearly twelve pounds... <_< :D

I'll definitely be trying before buying, no doubt about it.

I just didn't want to travel down to London to find out it's not what it was listed as due to my lack of knowledge etc.
More pics will be on the way to me within the next few hours, hopefully it'll play as good as it looks and is the real deal.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in! :happy:

Looks more or less spot on, very pretty.

To check the body take the cover off, bridge will be fitted to far back with extra long G string adjuster. I think they fixed this in about 73/74

Neck looks good but as others have said you need to take it off to be sure and dont worry if there are no markings I've seen several which are bare including my own 71 which is a real thumper!

Edited by notable9

[quote name='notable9' timestamp='1415276071' post='2598646']
Looks more or less spot on, very pretty.

To check the body take the cover off, bridge will be fitted to far back with extra long G string adjuster. I think they fixed this in about 73/74

Neck looks good but as others have said you need to take it off to be sure and dont worry if there are no markings I've seen several which are bare including my own 71 which is a real thumper!
[/quote]

I agree - it looks kosher - i have a 1969/70ish P bass and the sunburst is exactly the same as this one - i mean [i]exactly[/i] the same, as in the same person could have done it!

Mine also has the long G string screw on the bridge, but i don't know exactly when that was phased out.

My neck pocket markings are there, but are unclear and not really very conclusive in themselves, but you may have more joy. But as other people have pointed out, check the various component codes to be 100 per cent sure.

Good luck either way - if its genuine and you like it, then you've got yourself a great bass!