Why become a member? ×

Five String Jazz Basses talk to me?! NOW A NBD THREAD !!!!!

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414920540' post='2594578']
Great colour.... shame that pretty much puts the thread to bed..and shame the Am deluxe didn't work.
[/quote]

It will be in the classifieds by the end of the month and he will be looking for something better......it's the basschat way ;-).

Seriously, I found the B string on my MIA P5 (same neck as the Jazz 5) to be just as good as on my Laklands. i could never tell the difference between 34" and 35", tone wise.
The only difference I found is in the feel of the necks. I much prefer the smaller frets and flatter fretboard of the Laklands. I could never get the action I really wanted from the Fender but Im finding that with my Yamaha as well now.

Pete, glad it's working out, I expect to have one by this time next year.

In action last night, pub was full with dancers from the soundcheck until the encores!
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141101_234638_zps3wbpmcxo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141101_234638_zps3wbpmcxo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Tricky for the misses to get any decent pics so here is how 'The Wall' stands for now :D
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141102_103333_zpsidubzzni.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141102_103333_zpsidubzzni.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It is hard to say what the tone of it is like because that venue is terrible for bass sound, brick floor and glass roof, town called mallice sounded great on the front pup tone full on, Mustang Sally (I know I know..) sounded great with the burpy rear pickup setting. I used my 2x12 as FOH and I have never had it so loud on the volume pot so I probably need to get more aggresive with the preamp controls, either that or get a J retro fitted, Lol

:D

Anyway thanks for the advice everyone, hopefully I have made the right choice, EBS Freak would have took the Lakland and in some ways it was the better bass and £400 less but well look at the, burst, RW and tort goodness and a real USA Fender with a tight B string on a 34" scale, who'd of thunk it? :)

Don't go with onboard pre Pete - keep it passive - if you need a hand in the tone shaping or giving the output a helping hand, do it via an external preamp. The fact that it hasn't got a battery or any actives is what gives it the charm it has and it is very different from your MMs. The output from a passive is always likely to be a lot lower because you are used to the hefty MM pickup with running the MM pres on full boost!

Yes, I probably would have gone for the Lakland, primarily for the neck profile (being closer to what Im used to) but I think the F was the correct choice in getting the traditional J bass down as to your plan - it ticks more of the boxes than the DJ does and there is something cool about having the F headstock and it being USA as opposed to the none USA Lakland. Now if the DJ was a 55-60, it may have been a different story!

Enjoy it dude.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1414928122' post='2594671']
Don't go with onboard pre Pete - keep it passive - if you need a hand in the tone shaping or giving the output a helping hand, do it via an external preamp. The fact that it hasn't got a battery or any actives is what gives it the charm it has and it is very different from your MMs. The output from a passive is always likely to be a lot lower because you are used to the hefty MM pickup with running the MM pres on full boost!

Enjoy it dude.
[/quote]

Totally agree. Keep it passive as that's what these basses do best. Once you add a preamp I think things change, they get complicated and you lose some of the basic charm a plug in and forget bass does so well.

I've noticed that when I play my jazz I hardly touch the knobs, but with my Yamaha I'm tweaking quite a bit during gigs. Maybe that's just me but I've always been like that. As much as my old P-retro could produce so much I felt it ruined the simplicity of my P bass.

I recently got a Darkglass VMTD pedal over getting a preamp put in my Jazz, and what a difference that makes. Warms everything up just nicely.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1414928767' post='2594682']

Totally agree. Keep it passive as that's what these basses do best. Once you add a preamp I think things change, they get complicated and you lose some of the basic charm a plug in and forget bass does so well.

I've noticed that when I play my jazz I hardly touch the knobs, but with my Yamaha I'm tweaking quite a bit during gigs. Maybe that's just me but I've always been like that. As much as my old P-retro could produce so much I felt it ruined the simplicity of my P bass.

I recently got a Darkglass VMTD pedal over getting a preamp put in my Jazz, and what a difference that makes. Warms everything up just nicely.
[/quote]

Again couldn't agree more.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1414926893' post='2594650'] Nice bass! How are you getting on with the wider spacing compared to the Musicman? My only 5-string has the narrower MM style spacing and when I've tried Fenders they feel a bit weird at first. [/quote]

It doesn't bother me too much, it was worse when the action was too high in the shop but now its low enough for me it is OK, it has the adjustable spacing but I think I will leave it where it is, I cant work out which groove each string should be in anyway, Lol

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1414929061' post='2594688'] It's a beauty, for sure. There is no better combo for a Fender. Your guitarist needs to lose those sunnies though! [/quote][quote name='M@23' timestamp='1414929061' post='2594688'] It's a beauty, for sure. There is no better combo for a Fender. Your guitarist needs to lose those sunnies though! [/quote]
Ah that is some form of in joke with that band, they have a bag of stupid glasses for certain songs, Lol. I have my own glasses and therefore I am exempt!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1414928122' post='2594671'] Don't go with onboard pre Pete - keep it passive - if you need a hand in the tone shaping or giving the output a helping hand, do it via an external preamp. The fact that it hasn't got a battery or any actives is what gives it the charm it has and it is very different from your MMs. The output from a passive is always likely to be a lot lower because you are used to the hefty MM pickup with running the MM pres on full boost! Yes, I probably would have gone for the Lakland, primarily for the neck profile (being closer to what Im used to) but I think the F was the correct choice in getting the traditional J bass down as to your plan - it ticks more of the boxes than the DJ does and there is something cool about having the F headstock and it being USA as opposed to the none USA Lakland. Now if the DJ was a 55-60, it may have been a different story! Enjoy it dude. [/quote]

No I will leave it alone for now, you know what the sound is like in there so I cant make a serious judgement yet.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1414928767' post='2594682'] Totally agree. Keep it passive as that's what these basses do best. Once you add a preamp I think things change, they get complicated and you lose some of the basic charm a plug in and forget bass does so well. I've noticed that when I play my jazz I hardly touch the knobs, but with my Yamaha I'm tweaking quite a bit during gigs. Maybe that's just me but I've always been like that. As much as my old P-retro could produce so much I felt it ruined the simplicity of my P bass. I recently got a Darkglass VMTD pedal over getting a preamp put in my Jazz, and what a difference that makes. Warms everything up just nicely. [/quote][quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1414928767' post='2594682'] Totally agree. Keep it passive as that's what these basses do best. Once you add a preamp I think things change, they get complicated and you lose some of the basic charm a plug in and forget bass does so well. I've noticed that when I play my jazz I hardly touch the knobs, but with my Yamaha I'm tweaking quite a bit during gigs. Maybe that's just me but I've always been like that. As much as my old P-retro could produce so much I felt it ruined the simplicity of my P bass. I recently got a Darkglass VMTD pedal over getting a preamp put in my Jazz, and what a difference that makes. Warms everything up just nicely. [/quote]

I could add a sansamp or something if needs be but it certainly has that core tone that you need to start with and its a nice player, bit of a slapper too :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414929850' post='2594708']
Ah that is some form of in joke with that band, they have a bag of stupid glasses for certain songs, Lol. I have my own glasses and therefore I am exempt!
[/quote]

Hey, I had a band who did the same thing! I remember putting on a heavy and badly fitting pair of specs at a gig and then nearly messing up the song as they were sliding down to the end of my nose and both me and the drummer were cracking up laughing at it. I couldn't stop playing to push them back up...