Why become a member? ×

Five String Jazz Basses talk to me?! NOW A NBD THREAD !!!!!

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414863785' post='2594121']
EBS Freak modelling some contenders...

[IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141101_101116_zpsgh0xk8t2.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

I assume that's motion blur making your thumb look rather large there and it wasn't stung by a wasp?

http://youtu.be/2mXBtTja_SE

http://youtu.be/Y5FZwdFkIp0

Haha I have hypermobility in some of my joints - meaning I can bend my thumb back just over 90 degrees. I can put the thumbs on the back of their respective hands too. A kinda useless trick to freak people out.

Makes thumbs up slapping dead easy anyway - even if does make you look like a bit of a freak.

Edited by EBS_freak

Back has been pretty good today - minimal pain but I'm absolutely whacked. I slept all evening, all through the night and then woke up knackered this morning. I have spent most of the day asleep today. Just had a roast beef today though, so things looking up!

Nearly a week, one full gig and a 2 hour practice with a different band in and I am liking it! Plays really well, I did not realise these 2012 onwards standards have the Graphite reinforced necks, I thought it was only the Deluxe but this has them and may explain why the B string is good compared to previous failed Fender V purchases? The rolled fingerboard edges are nice and it generally plays, looks and feels really good. The lack of bottom end is a bit concerning, I have the bass knob on full on my practice amp but it lacks that full fat bottom end of my Stingrays so I am thinking something like a Behringer BDI 21 to heat it up before it hits my amp's preamp a bit?

Cracking bass though, good old Fender, they can still do it sometimes :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415299787' post='2599028']
Nearly a week, one full gig and a 2 hour practice with a different band in and I am liking it! Plays really well, I did not realise these 2012 onwards standards have the Graphite reinforced necks, I thought it was only the Deluxe but this has them and may explain why the B string is good compared to previous failed Fender V purchases? The rolled fingerboard edges are nice and it generally plays, looks and feels really good. The lack of bottom end is a bit concerning, I have the bass knob on full on my practice amp but it lacks that full fat bottom end of my Stingrays so I am thinking something like a Behringer BDI 21 to heat it up before it hits my amp's preamp a bit?

Cracking bass though, good old Fender, they can still do it sometimes :D
[/quote]

(whispering)

... J-Retro

<_< :P

As it happens the J-Retro 01 deluxe is popping about a bit on one of my basses and I haven't put enough time into narrowing down what the issue is.... but I am loving my bass passive which just makes me less concerned about fixing it.

I'd happily gig it passive, but then it isn't a Fender but it is a Jazz and a 5 string.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415311372' post='2599197']
As it happens the J-Retro 01 deluxe is popping about a bit on one of my basses and I haven't put enough time into narrowing down what the issue is.... but I am loving my bass passive which just makes me less concerned about fixing it.

I'd happily gig it passive, but then it isn't a Fender but it is a Jazz and a 5 string.
[/quote]

The funny thing is I use the pedal just to give me more of an active tone, but I'm not really keen on active basses.
When I had the BDDI I kept the blend very low, just enough to fatten the tone a bit. Same goes for the Darkglass, although I do like the warming it does as well so I keep that a bit higher.
I don't think I'd worry too much if I forgot my pedal for a gig, I don't rely on it, but having the choice I always use it.

I love my passive Jazz Basses but I reckon a lot of that is because I've used them since I started playing 20 odd years ago and they feel so comfortable and familiar.

I had a Stingray for about a year when I was in a three piece band and the sound was enormous - I couldn't believe how powerful it was in comparison to my Jazz - but as soon as that band disbanded and I was playing in four/five+ pieces again I sold it and went back to using my Jazz for everything.

Personally, I don't reckon that the Behringer will give you anything like the full fat bottom end that you're used to with your Stingray - I've never been able to get massive bottom end with any single coil pickup basses I've had.

Interestingly, reading your latest comments dude, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you eventually do what I did, just the other way round if you know what I mean... move on your Jazz for a another tried, trusted and loved Stingray.

Edited by thebassist

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415380740' post='2599822']
I want it to sound like the squier one I sold! Really happy with the way it plays and the build though, just needs beefing up, never had the volume knobs so high on any of my amps! I'm running the bass nearly flat out on the shuttle 3.0.
[/quote]
You need a Shuttle 6.2 :-)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415384834' post='2599871']
Ive got a 9.2 Shuttlemax :P :D
[/quote]
And I've got a 12 so nyah :-)

Actually, that's a good point about pickup height. My American Standard suffered from exactly that problem when I got it. Mind you, it was the worst set up new bass I've ever come across. I'm sure Mr Fender didn't let it go out the factory like that.