Why become a member? ×

Five String Jazz Basses talk to me?! NOW A NBD THREAD !!!!!

stingrayPete1977

Interesting colour. I didn't know they came with clear guards. I agree, a black one would really set it off.
It's a shame they dropped the black sparkle, the whole look was what convinced me to get mine.

As I said earlier (I think), I was never knocked out by the tone. This was the most I've ever spent on a bass and felt a bit let down. It's just felt too warm and round compared to my (at the time) Highway1 jazz. I see me to lack the growl I was looking for. In all other respects it was perfect.
Funny thing though, when I got it converted to a PJ, complete with Nordsrands, it still had that warm tone.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1414448318' post='2589478']
Interesting colour. I didn't know they came with clear guards. I agree, a black one would really set it off.
It's a shame they dropped the black sparkle, the whole look was what convinced me to get mine.

As I said earlier (I think), I was never knocked out by the tone. This was the most I've ever spent on a bass and felt a bit let down. It's just felt too warm and round compared to my (at the time) Highway1 jazz. I see me to lack the growl I was looking for. In all other respects it was perfect.
Funny thing though, when I got it converted to a PJ, complete with Nordsrands, it still had that warm tone.
[/quote]
I have gritty/growl covered with various Stingrays which I will continue to use at every gig with a Jazz for the smoother numbers so that does not bother me so much, If I wanted an all in one bass I would defo have a Lakland 55-94 or the new 55-14 in tobacco.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1414451847' post='2589529']
This is right up my street. Almost got one a couple of weeks ago but the price was a bit high for me.

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13112815564616"]http://www.guitargui...=13112815564616[/url]
[/quote]
I am not so keen on the colour :(

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1414453462' post='2589542']
Another vote for Sandberg here.

I love my TM5, it just sounds right and it's dead easy to play.
[/quote]

I will check out the TM5s again not really a proper jazz bass and as I like Lakland then a 55-02 would fit the bill for me I think but you never know one might just take my fancy.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1414443009' post='2589395']

This is how my DJ5 ended up. I so miss this bass.

[/quote]
I'm not normally a fan of black basses but that is utterly, utterly gorgeous.

If that plays and sounds as good as it looks, I'd sell one of my children's kidneys for it.....

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1414454667' post='2589550']
You can always get a TT5 with just the 2 jazz pickups.

The bucker in the TM5 splits very nicely though. I tend to use it split most of the time, unless I'm just using the bucker, then I use all of it!
[/quote]
How's the neck profile
on the TM5? It's on my list of basses to try but finding one within reasonable distance is tricky and I don't want to travel the length of the country for a baseball bat....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414447660' post='2589468']
The one im going to look at has a clear guard but it needs a black one?http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12061516390949
[/quote]agree - black or maybe even white pearl - I don't think it works with clear, although it may be different in the flesh.

Nice colour though.

With apologies to the OP for the minor thread hijack, I spend a good while trying various F*****r and clone JBs to find one that rang my bell. All to no avail, so ended up commissioning ACG to build me one to my spec. Too early on to show you any pics I'm afraid. Cost wise it will be a good chunk less then the MIA Fenders.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1414476740' post='2589572']
How's the neck profile
on the TM5? It's on my list of basses to try but finding one within reasonable distance is tricky and I don't want to travel the length of the country for a baseball bat....
[/quote]

Definitely not a baseball bat!

I'm very picky about neck shapes. The TM5 isn't as slinky as a Marleaux Consat, but it's more comfortable than a Fender 5

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1414485222' post='2589621']
With apologies to the OP for the minor thread hijack, I spend a good while trying various F*****r and clone JBs to find one that rang my bell. All to no avail, so ended up commissioning ACG to build me one to my spec. Too early on to show you any pics I'm afraid. Cost wise it will be a good chunk less then the MIA Fenders.
[/quote]
I don't mind a hi Jack, we are chatting basses on bass chat :)

I considered an over water built to my spec a few years ago, I've since gone all five string so in a way I'm glad I didn't!

I played a DJ5 in LPB and maple last night... and it was nice but probably too polite.
Initial thoughts and not definitive in the time I played it, was a decent bass worthy
of consideration but I think I'd be more interested in the same bass ( and colour )
with a RW neck. I would hope the more woody sound from the RW neck would
give the bass a bite/sound that I'd look for.

A LPB DJ5 with an on board pre option at around £800 SH would be a very competitive
bass. Not sure it would be a bass I MUST have against a 3st Am D J5 at £1k.
And if you found a Sei at the same money.. which is NOT impossible, then no contest.

I am quite taken with the online sound bites of the Am D J5 tho...and since I have Sei's
then I'll hand out for the American Deluxe J5...??

Decisions.. ?? good fun..!! :lol:

Assume you've seen this

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247507-overwater-5-string-j-series-jazz-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247507-overwater-5-string-j-series-jazz-bass/[/url]

Potentially a LOT of bass for your money. Looks great ... not RW tho...

Now the thing is me and a mate have been talking about the deluxe, if it's not so good sounding swapping the pickups and preamp might not be as easy as the standard USA jazz, are the pickups normal sized for example? If I'm buying a jazz should I just get a normal jazz, then if I'm itching for an active I know a John east and either the stock USA pickups or something else will solve that if I find a nice playing standard?

The thing for me is that the N3 pickups sound pretty good so I'd go with stock.

I've just checked out a few pickup swaps on Fenders MIA, MIM and Japan etc and the Fender pickups
on the standard jazz basses ..like Fender originals or Fender 74's are pretty uninspiring.
I understand this is not a great way to test things... but the Fralins and the like in the test
come across better under the same conditions.

So... I wouldn't be buying a AM deluxe J5 if I had a big issue with the pickups.
Havings said that... Lakland DJ5 and JO5's could do with a pre, IMO...which is ok
if you are paying £750-ish...
The Am deluxe J5 s/h would be closer to £1000 but I don't think the sound is too 'off'
for my tastes.

If I like the stock sound of the deluxe I'll probably buy it if it plays well as that is what I'm after really, guitar guitar have just listed a Sun burst and rosewood deluxe too.

I do like an active bass I must admit then again I have a dual channel amp with switchable gain for each preamp so I can dial in a nice passive jazz channel and an active stingray channel for those gigs where I'm taking both, gigs where I'm taking double bass I will only take one electric bass unless it's a really important gig so I will continue with a double bass channel and electric bass channel as I do now, two leads via an ab pedal for the two instruments and toggle between channels using the foot controller or even mix both channels for full on rock out endings! :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414578354' post='2590812']
Now the thing is me and a mate have been talking about the deluxe, if it's not so good sounding swapping the pickups and preamp might not be as easy as the standard USA jazz, are the pickups normal sized for example? If I'm buying a jazz should I just get a normal jazz, then if I'm itching for an active I know a John east and either the stock USA pickups or something else will solve that if I find a nice playing standard?
[/quote]

For my new ACG JB I am looking at the new ACG 2-band EQ. It is bacially the standard 4-way switch he uses on the passive instruments via an active/passive switch into a new 2-band EQ that is based on the P Retro. So you get a passive bass with the various pickup combos, and an active bass with the various p/up options, not to mention a tone control that also works in active mode. All fed by overwound single coil pickups.

Edited by ead