Why become a member? ×

Five String Jazz Basses talk to me?! NOW A NBD THREAD !!!!!

stingrayPete1977

• 3 months later...

I've just got one of the new Sire V7 Marcus Miller 5 string jazz basses. Really glad I didn't go for the Squier now.
Lovely bass, 18volt preamp with sweepable mids, smaller frets, blocks and inlays, all for £315 delivered.
Plays like a dream and the tone options are amazing. It's a bit of a beast as far as tone goes, needs taming a bit and going easy on the EQ. It's defintly a modern super jazz tone rather than a warm Fender jazz tone, but I like that.
Also works in passive mode where the more traditional jazz tones live, although it still doesnt manage ' vintage' like my Squier Jazz.

Yes it's all good mate, I'd like to try some other passive jazzes with my amps/cabs to see if adding the active preamp is what I want but the bdi box is ok for now to fatten it a bit, I cant fault the bass as it feels like a proper workhorse with the right number of strings! The wider spacing is a bit tricky for some more intricate stuff but thats mainly from being used to Ray5s, the clarity of a genz shuttle and narrow spacing has probably improved my playing loads to be fair, nowhere to hide!