Why become a member? ×

[RANT] Charity gig coming up

Stylon Pilson

A few months back our (originals) band got offered a slot at a charity gig. I trotted out my usual spiel (charity gigs are usually bollocks, everyone's getting paid but the bands, they'll overbook the lineup to get more punters through the door, prepare to get shafted) but my woefully naive and inexperienced bandmates said "nah, it'll be cool, it won't be like that" so we agreed.

A few weeks back we were contacted asking if we would supply a bass amp for everyone to share. I don't lend my bass amp, but my guitarist plays through a Fender 210 bass combo, and he's happy for anyone to use that, so we agreed.

Then they asked if we'd supply the drum kit. At this point I'm running around waving my arms trying to scream sense into the guys, warning them that the more we allow them to take advantage of our generosity, the more they will. My pleas fell on deaf ears. Our drummer says "well, I'd rather not, but if none of the other bands can supply a drum kit then I suppose I can at a push." You don't need me to tell you how the promoter chose to interpret this.

So that brings us up to last night's rehearsal. It's 48 hours until the gig. Our band leader now has two more pieces of information for us. Firstly, they've asked how many guitar amps we're bringing. Thankfully, to this one we can honestly say zero. Secondly, they've told us that we've been put on last - we're scheduled to go on at 10:55pm.

I threw a fit at this. I convinced the band leader to send a text saying "In the light of the fact that we're bringing most of the backline, we were hoping not to get the graveyard slot after everyone's gone home" or words to that effect. Five minutes after sending this, he felt bad for being assertive, and followed it up with another message that, as far as I can tell, basically apologised for even asking.

After the rehearsal a thought occurred to me. I'd completely forgotten about the fact that this night is almost certainly going to run late. I see this panning out one of two ways - either the venue's licence expires at 11:30, and we don't end up playing at all, or it doesn't, and we end up finishing at midnight. I've emailed the rest of the band to say this, basically so that I can say "I told you so" later.

Thanks for reading this far. To prevent this thread being filled with a lot of comments that say "your bandmates sound like an exercise in frustration, as long as you stay with them you're going to keep getting shafted over and over again, you should leave" I'd like to request that, if you are considering posting such a comment, you could instead post a photo of something that will make me smile. Like a little fluffy kitten. Or an attractive woman. Much obliged.

S.P.

I started a thread a few Weeks ago about this very topic, I've declared to both of my bands and various jam night friends that my services are no longer available for charity gigs, the last one was for guide dogs for the blind, played for two hours, our lights,pa, dragged my double bass out too, didn't even get thanked by the guide dog trainers who attended it only the organiser, never again for me.

Since you've had the goal-posts changed on you quite a bit why not add a change of your own. In that IF you end up either not playing or being cut short a rental on your gear will be due from the organisers for the amount of time you don't play? And if you don't play at all also for the whole length of time you're left stood around like ..... erm .....erm........ some kind of gear rental employee?

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1413364732' post='2577445']
Since you've had the goal-posts changed on you quite a bit why not add a change of your own. In that IF you end up either not playing or being cut short a rental on your gear will be due from the organisers for the amount of time you don't play? And if you don't play at all also for the whole length of time you're left stood around like ..... erm .....erm........ some kind of gear rental employee?
[/quote]

Very much this.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1413364732' post='2577445']
[/quote]

You know, that exact same thing had occurred to me already. But then we look like arseholes for taking money that would otherwise (yeah, I know, but bear with me) be going to charity.

Another thought occurred to me last night, which I haven't mentioned to the band yet - if the total amount raised for charity is less than the various band members spend on transport, then it would have been better for the charity if everyone had stayed home and just donated directly.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1413365040' post='2577450']Another thought occurred to me last night, which I haven't mentioned to the band yet - if the total amount raised for charity is less than the various band members spend on transport, then it would have been better for the charity if everyone had stayed home and just donated directly.

S.P.
[/quote]

IIRC that was StingrayPete's suggestion to his band.

edit: You could pre-empt the feelings about charging a charity by making a donation of your own direct from the band.
I've found quite a few folk involved in charities recently who use it as a profile raiser for themselves personally, it's kind of an Emperor's New Clothes scenario. Getting past those folk to the ones (if any) who actually have a clue what the hell the job is about is a nightmare.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413365366' post='2577459']
Given that you had already committed to provide most of the equipment, why did it really matter if you got the graveyard slot? You'd have to stay until the end to pack everything up anyway wouldn't you?
[/quote]

Yes, the problem is that the audience will probably have gone home by then. And, if the bands are running late, then the ones before us (the true headliners, really) will not be asked to cut their set short - we'll just get told "really sorry, but eh". No good deed goes unpunished. I think that my bandmates may have been thinking "if we help them out by volunteering to bring the drum kit, then they'll treat us well in return!" To which I say "ha ha ha ha ha".

S.P.

I'm waiting for the run-down of how the actual gig turned out, in whch you go down a storm, meet some great folks and get signed for a 5-year record deal with a major, thanks to a passing mogul doing charity work himself. That's what's going to happen, isn't it..? Well, isn't it..?
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:171989]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413366430' post='2577479']
I'm waiting for the run-down of how the actual gig turned out, in whch you go down a storm, meet some great folks and get signed for a 5-year record deal with a major, thanks to a passing mogul doing charity work himself. That's what's going to happen, isn't it..? Well, isn't it..?
[/quote]

Hahahha! Don't worry, I'll keep this thread updated with our trials and tribulations over the coming ages. I'll still be updating this thread when we're headlining the festivals next year. Thanks for believing in us!

S.P.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413366430' post='2577479']
[/quote]

Erm probably not but love the two guys chomping popcorn! How do I copy that then please Dad?

After years of being pestered my numerous charities and having similar experiences, we decided 4 years ago to stop doing charity events and do our own night, with a decent raffle going to a charity of our choice.
WE choose the charity, WE put the night on, WE sell the tickets, WE supply the PA, lights, pay the venue hire and WE promote it.

The venue is a 550 capacity and it's always over full!!
We charge £10 tickets and £12 on the door, put on a good support band (who we know and trust) and a decent compere for the night, plus DJ.

We pay everyone a fair rate.
Put a full line array PA in, full stage and room lights, amp and drum risers, the works - about £1500 with engineers.
Pay 2 proper door staff - £200
Support band get £200 plus beers and food for a 40 min set and can use all of our gear except breakables, and get to put out as many promo packs as they like.
Compere gets £200, as does DJ.
Smart venue decoration inc lighting, table decs, snacks etc.
Print proper posters and tickets with security numbers and strips etc.
It's not a cheap thing to put on, but it brings in about £5k.
the venue actually haven't charged us after year 1 for venue hire as they took about £7k on the bar!

We host a raffle which includes prizes such as Spa Days at 5 * hotels, restaurant vouchers, super league tickets, a guitar, clay pigeon shooting, ipad,cases of nice wines, the works.
We also donate ourselves (The band) as a prize to play at the winner's party / wedding etc - with some t&c's so we don't end up having to drive to Inverness at our expense!!
Apart from putting the night on and taking the risk, our donation is our time playing at a party in the future as a prize.

Each year, the charity has benefited from us giving them a cheque for over £1200 - for the last 4 years.
They haven't had to do anything for it and I reckon that's far more than they'd have had from a night in a pub.

I think our method works much better!
No more charity nights for me thanks.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1413366653' post='2577486']
Erm probably not but love the two guys chomping popcorn! How do I copy that then please Dad?
[/quote]

With XP: Right click on 'em, then 'Save image as...' (They're an animated GIF...). Other OS's could vary somewhat.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1413366783' post='2577487']
After years of being pestered my numerous charities and having similar experiences, we decided 4 years ago to stop doing charity events and do our own night...
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:166776]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1413366910' post='2577491']
I thought in originals bands being last was what you wanted? at least that's what we always wanted.
[/quote]

Once upon a time, when a gig consisted of two bands, you had the headliners (who everyone had come to see) and the support band (who went on first). There was a nice little symbiosis there - the support band added a little bit of extra value to the night, and the headliners were doing them a favour by giving them exposure. The audience stayed until the end, because the headliners were generally who they'd come to see.

But with these band nights, the crowd generally consists of friends of the bands. So the people who came to see the first band will stay until the end of the first band, some of them will hang around, but some will leave early. Over the course of the evening, people come and go. It usually peaks around mid-evening. By the time it comes to the last band, the crowd will be people who've come to see the last band specifically, and leftovers from the previous band's friends.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1413365780' post='2577465']
Yes, the problem is that the audience will probably have gone home by then. And, if the bands are running late, then the ones before us (the true headliners, really) will not be asked to cut their set short - we'll just get told "really sorry, but eh".
[/quote]

At least that would solve the problem of hanging around until very late ;)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1413367497' post='2577508']
Once upon a time, when a gig consisted of two bands, you had the headliners (who everyone had come to see) and the support band (who went on first). There was a nice little symbiosis there - the support band added a little bit of extra value to the night, and the headliners were doing them a favour by giving them exposure. The audience stayed until the end, because the headliners were generally who they'd come to see.

But with these band nights, the crowd generally consists of friends of the bands. So the people who came to see the first band will stay until the end of the first band, some of them will hang around, but some will leave early. Over the course of the evening, people come and go. It usually peaks around mid-evening. By the time it comes to the last band, the crowd will be people who've come to see the last band specifically, and leftovers from the previous band's friends.

S.P.
[/quote] :( we used to make sure we were right at the front and normally dancing for anyone we supported and would get most of our friends to do the same.

didn't go down as well with serious band at uber serious industry showcase mind... .

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1413366910' post='2577491']
I thought in originals bands being last was what you wanted? at least that's what we always wanted.
[/quote]

Unfortunately at this kind of level playing last normally just means playing last - which is why the true "headliners" for the OP's gig are on before them.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1413368067' post='2577517']
:( we used to make sure we were right at the front and normally dancing for anyone we supported and would get most of our friends to do the same.
[/quote]

Oh don't get me wrong, I'll always stay until the last band. Unless they're too loud. If my friends are finding the noise intolerable, then I won't force them to continue to endure it.

S.P.