Why become a member? ×

Lakland Basses

Hobbayne

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1412238127' post='2566945']
That bass looks like it got dressed in the dark!
[/quote]

I have to agree.

I like blocks on Jazzes (well, MoP blocks on rosewood, not blocked maple boards) but not on P basses, and I don't like that weird ovoid bridge, and the pickup is ugly too. And the pickguard looks too small.

It has features that might look good on other basses, but not all together on that one.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1412244008' post='2567036']
I like blocks on Jazzes but not on P basses, and I don't like that weird ovoid bridge, and the pickup is ugly too. And the pickguard looks too small.
[/quote]

Yes, but apart from that you really like it, right?? :D

I like this one... 'Vintage 64' P, Lake Placid Blue, rosewood, Mint pickguard, birdseye maple 'clay' dots...

...and a sound file... with flats...

[media]http://www.lakland.com/multimedia/audio/glaub/09%20glaub_hardrock_flats.mp3[/media]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1412336872' post='2567932']
The Laklands look cool but I honestly done see the point... If you wanted a P & J Bass why would not just buy a Fender for the same price or a few hundred quid cheaper if you went for a MIM?
[/quote]

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but in my opinion Lakland are superior to Fender in almost every way. Of course they don't have the 'F' badge on the headstock, but I've got over that now. ;) I WILL own one at some point!

I must agree with Discreet. I've had several Skyline models, supposedly the 'cheap' ones, and they easily match any of the (many) US-made Fenders I've had. One day, I'll get around to trying a US-made Lakland; they're supposed to be even better.

As an aside, I play mainly fives in covers bands. Lakland 5-string basses tend to be 35" scale, which I really like.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1412336872' post='2567932']
The Laklands look cool but I honestly done see the point...

If you wanted a P & J Bass why would not just buy a Fender for the same price or a few hundred quid cheaper if you went for a MIM?
[/quote]

Because whilst Fender created the formula. They did not perfect it. A Mexican P/J is in no way similar to any Skyline and I'd have people agree with me if I said the Skylines were equal to or even surpassed US Fenders.

I used to play a 55-02 quite regularly, it was better than any USA Fender for build quality, hardware standard and the range of tones available never mind the Mex, the USA 55-94 is even better still but it is 3 times the price of a Fender, probably not 3 times better but you can say what you like they are better than a Fender, they just are, as they should be :)

Why can't Fender fans accept that they are not as well made as other basses?, I love my Stingrays but the USA Laklands are better basses than mine, I am happy to accept that, they use better quality woods built to higher standards ie Quarter Sawn graphite reinforced necks,
Better neck bolt construction, reinforced headstock joint areas, Hipshot tuners etc etc

I am not going to win over any Fender fans so it's not even worth going there but these are why they are better basses, they have a better range of tones because err they have more tones available? passive active, MM P J pickup choices with split coil selections etc etc how is that even debatable?

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1412417782' post='2568723']
With respect, you are talking rubbish.
What measurements have you used for;
build quality [b]Graphite Reinforced headstock and neck with a quartersawn neck, stunning tops if you like that sort of thing ([/b]I dont really)
hardware standard B[b]etter bridge design and Hipshot tuners on all models, string reatainer, stainless bridge parts rather than chrome, neck bolts.[/b]
range of tones. [b]Active/passive switchable more pickup choices with a wider range of frequencies available, coil selection on some models.[/b]

[/quote]

Mmm OK then, to qualify my comments in post #13: I certainly haven't played every Lakland and definitely haven't played every Fender...
...what I would suggest is this; try as many basses as possible and buy the one you prefer.

Troll war over!! :D

...mind you, Ashdown ARE crap. :lol:

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1412423765' post='2568810']
No they're not! They are great at starting fires!
[/quote]

True, but you can always extinguish them with the virtual blankets covering the speaker cabs...

Edited by discreet