Why become a member? ×

Why do effects pedals drain the battery when bypassed?

tedmanzie

Sorry, this is one of those 'why don't polar bears get cold feet' type questions. Can someone please put me out of my misery?

Q: Why do effects pedals drain the battery when bypassed?

So to be clear, I have left my lead plugged overnight into the 'in' socket of a Maxon OD9 Pro+ (true bypass apparently), and even though the pedal is 'off' the battery is dead the following morning.

I have killed loads of 9v batteries like this. One of these days I'll get one of those power brick things...

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1412155770' post='2566127']
Once you plug into the input the power is switched on and will stay on until you unplug it again. The input socket is also the on / off switch. The bypass switch only bypasses the signal, not the power.
[/quote]

Yep, the pedal's busy distorting/delaying/chorusing even when the effects not engaged.

The sound of flanged silence !

Edited by ahpook

A decent pedal should have:

3 pole switch, 2 poles to give true bypass and 1 to kill the power when OFF.
Stereo jack on the input so that the pedal is only powered when plugged in by connecting the ring to the sleeve.
If there is a 9V power in socket. it should drop out the 9V battery (if fitted). Sockets usually have a switch contact for this.
And possibly a LED to show it is on.

I suspect item 1 is only a 2 pole switch and only provides bypass. 3 pole switches are more difficult to find, but are available. But not really necessary if there is no battery.

Having said that, my home built Fuzz and Octavia both have a 2 pole switch and run from battery. Doh!

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1412158782' post='2566183']
A decent pedal should have:

3 pole switch, 2 poles to give true bypass and 1 to kill the power when OFF.
[/quote]

Alot of pedals use a 3 pole, 2 for bypass and 1 for LED. To use 1 to kill power you would usualy have to wither sacrifice an led or up the production costs quite a bit for batery life. bearing in mind most users will run off of a dedicated supply, id say this would be unnecessary.

Killing the power would also kill the LED though.

Will simulatenously switching to the effect and powering up the circuit may introduce a slight delay until the sound comes through? Or introduce pops? That would explain why everyone chooses to have the effect running constantly and just switched in and out when needed.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1412157465' post='2566158']
Yep, the pedal's busy distorting/delaying/chorusing even when the effects not engaged.

The sound of flanged silence !
[/quote]

I see, that makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies :)

I do actually have a decent 9v power supply that gets shared around, but I need to get a daisy chain thing! :unsure:

If you're going to get a power supply, I can recommend the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior from Thomann.

Its ~£30 posted and gives you five isolated 9v power outputs. This is meant to be less susceptible to noise/hum than daisychaining a single power supply.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1412174010' post='2566451']
If you're going to get a power supply, I can recommend the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior from Thomann.

Its ~£30 posted and gives you five isolated 9v power outputs. This is meant to be less susceptible to noise/hum than daisychaining a single power supply.
[/quote]

good tip thanks

You can run 10 pedals off one of these;
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NVU9GG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007VC042O&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=01RNZRWFVPKDQVTK9BRY"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NVU9GG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007VC042O&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=01RNZRWFVPKDQVTK9BRY[/url]
But I suspect the logistics/relative sizes of pedals would probably limit that. I have one with a 5 way ouput I got from maplins years ago and then got separate cables to run from it to my pedals. Currently only use 3, only 1 of those is a genuine effect which I don't even use every gig. Other option is a decent battery charger and plenty of recharchable batteries so you always have spares ready to go, the 9v rechargables can get a bit pricey though.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1412159816' post='2566205']
Killing the power would also kill the LED though.

Will simulatenously switching to the effect and powering up the circuit may introduce a slight delay until the sound comes through? Or introduce pops? That would explain why everyone chooses to have the effect running constantly and just switched in and out when needed.
[/quote]

Any 'true' true bypass switch will produce pops i believe, to avoid them you have to have a relay IIRC.