Why become a member? ×

My first originals band for years...

geoham

I've been asked to join an originals band by a former bandmate. They are already slightly established - signed to a small independent label, have a manager, album and a couple of EPs recorded. They even have a local fanbase!

I've been learning their material, and the bass is 99% root notes. I'd personally have played at least some of it differently.

First rehearsal is tomorrow. What's the etiquette here? Do I play the 'original album version' exactly? Or, do I play my version of it?

The band leader is the type to keep his cards close to his chest, so not sure if the simplistic bass is perhaps why they now have a new bassist.

I'd try to be up front. If you're willing to just do it as recorded, fair enough... But I'd imagine a little energy and expansion in the groove direction will be much appreciated - as long as it's not obnoxious or out of place for the track.

I'd be surprised if you don't get feedback from the first few song play throughs. If the music asks for it - give it in spades!

Best of luck with the rehearsal!

Cheers guys.

I've never had to replace someone in an originals band, so was just a bit unsure.

I think what I'll do tomorrow is stay pretty close to the existing bass lines, but add in some runs to transition between the chords. They just jump straight from one to another on the recordings. Should be enough to get their attention without fundamentally changing what the last guy did.

Then I'll have a chat afterwards.

I'd say to them that you're happy to play the old songs as they are recorded if that's what they want, but if they're willing, would like to add some fills/runs where appropriate. In addition, the lines you write for the new material are likely be less straight root note playing

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1411996957' post='2564646']
That would be even worse....
[/quote]

I suspect that, if the band are playing 'Message in a Bottle', most folks know that you didn't write Sting's bass line (other examples are available...).
I also suspect that those out there beyond the projectors don't know, or care, who 'wrote' what. If it's good, it's good, isn't it..? Not sayin', of course, that your bass lines are not important to you, but I don't understand this disdain for playing other folk's good music. Never mind.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411997260' post='2564650']
I suspect that, if the band are playing 'Message in a Bottle', most folks know that you didn't write Sting's bass line (other examples are available...).
I also suspect that those out there beyond the projectors don't know, or care, who 'wrote' what. If it's good, it's good, isn't it..? Not sayin', of course, that your bass lines are not important to you, but I don't understand this disdain for playing other folk's good music. Never mind.
[/quote]

Yeah but this is an originals band not a covers band... Obviously when playing covers you'd want to remain faithful to the original song. I would have though the point of being in an originals band would be to write original music? If the bass player is playing someone elses basslines then it's not really a band of equal members and equal contributions is it.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1411997494' post='2564653']
Yeah but this is an originals band not a covers band... Obviously when playing covers you'd want to remain faithful to the original song. I would have though the point of being in an originals band would be to write original music? If the bass player is playing someone elses basslines then it's not really a band of equal members and equal contributions is it.
[/quote]

The bloke's only just joined, though. All the numbers are not going to be ditched until equal contributions can be made, surely..? It's very common, when taking on board new members, to have a 'transitional' period. Probably a mix of old and new, whilst he gets his feet into the slippers. I've been in or around many an originals band, and I've never seen a major conflict of the sort. If the OP has been selected to play with them, they've seen (or heard..?) something in his playing that they like. If the existing lines are good, that's fine. If the OP can improve the act with different lines, that's fine too. That's all there is to it, really. No big sweat, I'd have thought.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1411997171' post='2564648']
When I joined an established originals band I asked them if they minded me changing the basslines.
Their answer was "not at all, as long as your lines fit and suit the song"
[/quote]

that's an unusually level headed response from a guitarist/singer/drummer...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411997847' post='2564662']
The bloke's only just joined, though. All the numbers are not going to be ditched until equal contributions can be made, surely..? It's very common, when taking on board new members, to have a 'transitional' period. Probably a mix of old and new, whilst he gets his feet into the slippers. I've been in or around many an originals band, and I've never seen a major conflict of the sort. If the OP has been selected to play with them, they've seen (or heard..?) something in his playing that they like. If the existing lines are good, that's fine. If the OP can improve the act with different lines, that's fine too. That's all there is to it, really. No big sweat, I'd have thought.
[/quote]

Yeah fair enough... Guess I'm judging it by what I would want rather than what the OP wants.

I just feel that a bass player is a major part of a bands sound and having someone new come in you would have to except that things were going to change... I'd rather be told my lines arent good enough / suitable and be replaced than stand there playing something I didn't think was any good.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1411997171' post='2564648']
When I joined an established originals band I asked them if they minded me changing the basslines.
Their answer was "not at all, as long as your lines fit and suit the song"
[/quote]
[quote name='IzzyT2807' timestamp='1411998047' post='2564668']
that's an unusually level headed response from a guitarist/singer/drummer...
[/quote]

...and my experience is exactly the opposite. I'd say that that's the 'normal' response. It takes all sorts, of course.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1411998131' post='2564670']...I'd rather be told my lines arent good enough / suitable and be replaced than stand there playing something I didn't think was any good.
[/quote]

...and if your lines don't, indeed, 'cut the mustard', that's what would probably happen..! No problem with all that, that's part of band life.

Up front and ask them what they are looking for.
Sometimes song writers have an idea of how they want the song (and bass) to sound.
Band i'm in is all originals and the guitarist has recorded all the bass parts already with some really nice runs but when i asked them what they wanted from me they said it was totally up to me but there were a few parts they needed specific bass lines to retain the feel they were looking for.
Fortunately the gusy are very easy to work with and i've made it clear that if i do something they don't like then they should tell me right away and i will change to suit.
Very open, up front and also very rewarding.
I initially stuck to basic lines and as i became more familiar with their material and how they played and wrote each song i started to add or change things slightly. As mentioned previously add some feel to the music with light touches or aggression as and when needed. All helps and it lets them know what your capabilities are and they can then write material around what each member is capable of playing. That can only be good for the band and hopefully an audience.

All the very best of luck with it. Sounds exciting.

Dave

So, finally had the first rehearsal with the band, after struggling to get a rehearsal room at short notice last week.

I got some compliments on the minor improvements I made to the basslines - which was mainly just basic runs to change between chords.

However, for one of their songs, I tried something a bit more adventurous. There is a four bar section of descending chords where the previous bassist just played roots. I replaced this with a nice little melodic line which was described as 'f--ing lovely' mid-song by the vocalist.

Had a chat during the rehearsal, and have been told I can do what I like, as long as it suits the songs. They were less than complimentary about their previous bassist too. All in, they were quite pleased with me.

Result!