Why become a member? ×

Peaveys Again

kodiakblair

At the start of the month I was lucky enough to get another Foundation, a 5 string this time. Bought from ebay for the
ridiculous price of £51 it just proves the Peavey Love ain't universal.

The seller mentioned a gap at the neck pocket which might have effected the price but if a simple thing like slackening the screws
and pulling it back into place puts buyers off god help them when it comes to a set-up. Anyway the seller agreed to me arranging
a courier.

Then the fun began. 3 attempts in 3 weeks with the seller only free on a Friday then his shifts changed but luckily his landlord
said he would be available.It was hellish yesterday when the collection window came and went and the landlord had to go out
and me stuck trying to get info while on a building site with no paperwork to hand.

Happy ending - unknown to the seller the courier caught the landlord as he was leaving and it finally arrived today.

[attachment=172553:Peavey 5 (3).jpg]

And cause I knew it was a steal I'd gifted the seller more cash, still is a steal even with that.

Another Millennium also arrived on Wednesday,thought this one was going to end badly. Didn't arrived when expected,seller
didn't reply and when he did wasn't very forthcoming. Opened a case, he got in touch and it arrived a week late. Well used
with scratches and missing knobs and ferrules but a sweet low action,the usual Peavey goodness ripping out it

[attachment=172554:Millennium2 (2).jpg]

Chris

It was one of those " Meant to happen " things. Had been on the Peavey forum giving some info about Cirrus BXPs
where another fella was looking for a Foundation 5 neck.Next thing this was on ebay,I like my black & maple 4 string
Foundation so this was a no-brainer.

Thought the wall decoration Harley Benton was the best deal I'd get this year needless to say I've had a re-think.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1411682749' post='2561971']
Nice is the Foundation a lefty?
[/quote]

If you look at the wall, the writing in the frame is reversed.

Is this an 80s Foundation, the one that has the same neck as a T40? EDIT: Lots of Foundation talk here: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/peavey-foundation.68873/

Edited by Annoying Twit

Oh don't say things like that AT.

Have some pity for a man seeking the Super Ferrite and release one for £20 :P

Read that Foundation thread you linked,comments like " oh the SFs aren't all that great " left me thinking " easy for you to say,you've tried them "
then a " I got a 92 Fury for $50 " got me thinking maybe I should just go for that Harley Benton that isn't based on a certain legal happy US company.

And why has the cat decided the case for the Foundation is it's new bed :o

Hey Kiwi

We do talk about them here,just seems to be difficult to get others interested.

Wherever they're built Peaveys are good IMO.I don't get the big F thing either,tried some nearly 30 years back and felt the name cost as much as the bass
and there was plenty other makes just as worthy.I don't sell basses for profit so resale values aren't a consideration. I've yet to be convinced by designer jeans
too,why would I wear £100 jeans when £25 Wranglers fit better and last longer.The American made angle was true years back when the Far East was starting
but that ship sailed years ago. Again IMO these days it's a marketing label.

Back to Peaveys. The Milestone III is a great bass,was my 1st Peavey still have it and won't part with it.No complaints with the BXPs either.While it's good for us
who rate them it's a damn shame for those trying to sell them,there's a Millennium for sale on here at a good price and I think only myself and the seller Thunderbird
have posted on the thread.But even the well known T-40 doesn't command a high price for what it is, 30 year old flagship bass still used on countless Nashville records
today and they go for £400 tops.

I very much like the idea of picking up one of the US made Peaveys one day. But, I'd also like a MIJ Bass Collection. For historical reasons I would like to have an approximately 1979-1980 Ibanez Artist bass. I still don't have a fretless, (although my Shine six string is now superfluous and would hardly be worth selling - there is something possible there). I would like a Tanglewood Traveller bass, and one of those Mexican big acoustic basses. I hope that at some point Thomann will release a bargain 9 string bass (I think that's the most strings I'd ever want). I wouldn't mind an upright bass, although that would be for after I've had a fretless and adapted to it. I'd like a guitar style MIDI controller, and some Arturia classic synth software such as the Moog System III simulation. I'd also like ... you can see where this is going.

(BTW: Please anyone don't send me PMs offering to sell me any of these. At the moment I have no buying budget post 7-string bass purchase)

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1411818309' post='2563041']
You're right there BetaFunk. Lucky for me I'm not a Kinks man.
[/quote]
:D

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1411818309' post='2563041']
I see where you're going and I'm sure you'll get there.Might take time but it'll happen.
[/quote]
I agree they are great basses and amazing what you get for little outlay. The world of guitars and bass guitars is driven by fashion as much as anything else. That's good for those of us who don't follow the rest like sheep and make our own minds up on what is good value! :)

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1411745739' post='2562510']
Made in USA/handcrafted basses are good.
Foundation basses are very good.
[/quote]

BXP basses are very good. Although there's not a lot in it, I actually prefer the BXP Grind 5-string neck to both the BXP and USA Cirrus necks (played all three back to back so I could make a direct comparison).

You get no argument from me there tauzero. Though my experience of USA made is limited to 2 Foundations the quality
on my BXP basses is equally high. Leading me to believe the USA vs BXP bias is a something carried over from other
brands.The Vietnam BXP Grind is a fantastic bass,more fun to play than the Cirrus IMO.

Hartley Peavey doesn't strike me as a man who'd put his company name on inferior goods, if you think when the 1 pickup T-45
was released it was priced the same as the 2 pickup T-40 because " They're both great instruments ".

On a happy side-note I've just had an email telling me my 85 Patriot has shipped.2 weeks and I'll find out what these Super Ferrites
are like :lol: