Why become a member? ×

New Band... is it a keeper or time to walk?

Grangur

Here I am a 55 year old band-virgin. I've just lost my cherry to a local band consisting of Guitar (band Leader), Keys (Wannabe Leader), Drums (Hasn't played since the 70s) and me on Bass (never before been in a band)

I saw the ad in the local music emporium:
Old fogies want a bass player for 60s, 70s, 80s covers.... etc. I call them up and get sent a set-list of 9 songs to work on, complete with chord charts, with the over-riding info; "Don't worry about listening to the records of these, we play them different to the originals." Errr... what does that mean exactly? So I practice a bit and listen to the records. Besides what else can I can I do?

The day of the try-out comes closer and I get another 9 songs sent to me... more of the same style of covers, with a couple of originals thrown in.

The try-out comes and we wizzzz through about 12 songs in 4 hours. 1 play-through of each song. I play a bit of 12-bar and a bit of walking, and get lost on a couple, but I fumble through. I've got the gig. (yeahy!!)

It does strike me, though, that the keys and the guitarist are belting it out for attention all at the same time. It all sounds a bit messy and some songs I hardly recognise from the originals, but wow I'm in my first band!!.

Yesterday's rehearsal comes along. The drummer is on hols and the guitarist (leader) is going to play drums. I've practised "Wonderful Tonight" and "Route 66" that goes well(ish). OK, well I've got a bit more of a clue of what's going on. All the rest goes a lot better than the previous week. I can't honestly say I recognise "Route 66" as the same as the old Stones number.

On other tracks we come to play them and I get things like "Roll Over Beethoven, but we play this as a swing number". Errr.. really, I think. When we play Rock n Roll, they're sung like ballads and there's no rock in it at all. Actually it's all a bit all the same. (Or is it cos of my noob bass playing?)

The thing is, I want to be good and learn stuff up front as per this quote:
[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1411070247' post='2556282']
. . rehearsal is for making sure the songs you learn from practice actually work in the context you'll be performing them. You'll be rehearsing a lot more if that's when you first see the material!
[/quote]
But if each song is played in a different style to the original, how can I learn them?
The keys and the leader have played together in bands for about 50 years, but they don't seem to be able to take it in turns to solo and stand back to give room for the other.
The keys player sounds like some wurlitzer organ on a bad night at a holiday camp.
The guitarist sounds like a Hank Marvin wannabe on speed. (He has a C&W background btw)

I could learn some more from them and just get practice playing with others. If I were to walk into a pub though, and we were on stage, I don't think I'd stay to buy a drink.

Bottom line... do I walk or stay?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1411228143' post='2557721']...
Bottom line... do I walk or stay?
[/quote]

[size=4]You humour them; meanwhile go back to your [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] local music emporium and keep looking at the ads. The good news..? You're gaining experience with these folks. The bad news..? You're not going to change them. Get what you can from it, but look elsewhere.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just my tuppence-worth; and good luck with your projects.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

All that Dad said. Playing in a band is a skill like any other. If you haven't done it before it might take you a while to really latch on to it. Like anything else, practice, practice and more practice. It sounds like you are beginning to pick up on things already though. Not every band you try put with will suit you. I usually know within three sessions if I will stick with a band. The jazz band I played with for 13 years I knew within three tunes never mind sessions.

Every band is different. There are, of course, 'core' skills, but there will always be a bit of adapting to do (that's part of the fun...). Not as 'off-beam' as the folks you've encountered, one would hope, but it would be rare that you're expected to belt out a perfect 'Johnny B. Goode' that fits perfectly with unknowns. Don't worry about it; it'll all come out in the wash. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

I dissageree with Dad (if I'm reading his post correctly).
We see a lot of threads about bass players being messed about by bands, now it seems it's being suggested you keep quiet for now and activley look elsewhere until ready to let them down (my words but that's the impression im getting).

If it's not for you why not be honest with them? You don't have to leave immediately, but I think it's fair to let them know you will at some point. Give them the opertunity to decided along with you.

It sounds to me like they aren't going to change for you, so if you feel they aren't the right band for you please don't go messing them around.

It is building blocks. You are playing with others so you get a perspective of how
some people work. It doesn't sound great but it is a reference. Of course, it should be
easier than this but until you have options you don't have anywhere else to go.
The other good thing is that you are getting a sense of what works and what doesn't...
and it sounds like that is something the others haven't learnt in all their time playong???.
As long as you can take something from this then that is the pay-off...
To be blunt, this is the standard you are pretty much at atm.... so if you can improve
to a point where you don't think the way they do things is good enough, you can dump them and
move on. Music is about a lot of things but it can also be about excellence and you are getting
a taste of what is decent and what isn't. Take stock and use this to move forward.

If you know musical terms and meanings like 'swing' etc etc ...that is good as they are
the pointers to how songs should be played and in what styles.
Somethings are subjective but as long as you know what rock should mean, then they
are your core building blocks.

Besides, the more you get from this unit, the more 'experience' you can take ( good AND bad )
into the next one. You didn't have that before.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1411229148' post='2557730']
LOL, thanks guys. I guess I knew that already. What worries me a bit about it is the level of "transferable skills" I'd be getting. I can't even claim to play Johnny B Goode in a style that others would recognise. :D
[/quote]

This track is a rock and roll tune and that is the style that most play it in.
There isn't really much point to it otherwise, tbh. You could swing it
and that is valid if you know and want that style but you should determine
that at the start of playing it. If you don't think it sounds rock and roll
then tell them that..and they need to work at it.
If you can..and you should... play this with rock and roll attitude, then
this will serve as a style template for other songs of this kind.
These are everyones building blocks... you are just learning them a little later.
It sounds like some haven't learnt them at all and have been playing for years.

Yep... look for other opportunities for when the time comes to dump these.

And..FWIW.. what was the band member thinking about jumping on the drums..?
Does he play them ..?? or did he just think he could? That sounds like a total waste
of a rehearsal to me and you should make better use of the time. I would have cnacelled the
rehearsal and learnt new songs in someone's front room getting the chords and changes right..??

Thank all dor some interesting comments.

Thabks JTUK for asking about the leader. He's originally a drummer, but they couldn't get a guitarist so he took the job. Thinking about it, he does rather have the attitude that we 3 need the practice. We simply need to catch up with him. He says he's open to comment and input. It will be interesting to see if he can take it. After all, I've not been in a band in the last 50 years, but I have been listening to music. So I know the need for light and shade, change in rhythm etc.

I'd say stick with it and learn to laugh at the cock-ups. At this early stage one learns much from one's own mistakes and those of others. A loose and somewhat extemporised approach to covers can hone the improvisatory skills and makes for a merry evening. Ideal for a beginner and entirely character-forming.

In truth, this sounds to me pretty much like the sort of band one would have got into back in the day when one was seventeen. A bit 'all over the place' but the opportunity to carve out your own space and learn to work with a live drummer.

And don't worry about songs mutating from straight 4/4 thuds to bouncy shuffles. It's an old trick to engage the audience's attention and / or camouflage for a lack of arrangement skills. Done it loads of times. :lol:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1411233314' post='2557781']
I dissageree with Dad (if I'm reading his post correctly)...
[/quote]

No problem with any disagreement, but I certainly wouldn't advocate 'messing them about' nor 'letting them down'. Humour them..? Yes, don't go headlong into conflict, go with the flow, make the best of it. Yes, look around for better, but be open and honest, naturally. Nothing underhand implied, so apologies if I gave that impression. A straight 'No thanks' would be fine, too, but there's a mutual benefit in carrying on until all parties have a more suitable partnership.
Just my tuppence-worth.

In that case dad, we both agree. Sorry if I read your post wrong.

As far as the songs sound different, well it didn't do Mark Ronson any harm. I'd love to be in a band that purposely changed all the songs. Of course if it's just that they struggle to play them as they really want to, then this could work against anyone trying to get up to speed with playing.
I'm in that situation and have been for 10 years. I stick with it as it works for me but if I didn't have past experience and other work to fall back on id find it very, very depressing and probably give up playing.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1411238419' post='2557842']
Caveat, I am drunk.

Generally people are good at what they are good at, if they have taken on something else as a compromise then the result is in general; compromised.
[/quote]

Probably best to read the first post then. Sounds like your got the wrong end of the stick.

(Caveat, I'm doing my hardest to get drunk :-).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411228700' post='2557728']
[size=4]You humour them; meanwhile go back to your [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] local music emporium and keep looking at the ads. The good news..? You're gaining experience with these folks. The bad news..? You're not going to change them. Get what you can from it, but look elsewhere.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just my tuppence-worth; and good luck with your projects.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

This. If your new to band playing or not done it for ages, you aint likely to find a band that will wait while you get your hand in. So unless theyre absolute nutters, or maybe even if they are - make the most...

It may only be your first band but you have learned many things Grasshopper! :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]They do seem untogether but there are lots of people playing in bands who are like this. But at least you are getting some playing time in a band situation and learning what being in a band is about. If you have nothing else lined up, stick it till you find something else or can`t take it anymore.[/size]

[size=4]A[/size][size=4]t least you now have something to judge other band you audition for by.[/size]

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1411240484' post='2557861']
Listen to your dad. He [s]speeks[/s] speaks the truth and he's sober[s] like me[/s], as am I. ( He also [s]likes[/s] feels compelled to correct my spelling and grammer [s]sometimes[/s] often !)
[/quote]

Fixed. :mellow:

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1411240484' post='2557861']
[size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Listen to your dad. He [/font][/color][s]speeks[/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] speaks the truth and he's sober[/font][/color][s] like me[/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], as am I. ( He also [/font][/color][s]likes[/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] feels compelled to correct my spelling and [s]grammer[/s] [i][b]grammar[/b][/i] [/font][/color][s]sometimes[/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] often !)[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

You missed one. :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]