Why become a member? ×

Dancing on stage

The Funk

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='250930' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:26 PM']I dance like a mofo in the first verse of this one.[/quote]

Ha ha yeah!
Just gave me some ideas for All Right Now and Honky Tonk Woman where's there's no bass in the verse - Dance like a nut! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='251035' date='Jul 30 2008, 09:18 AM']It could be said my jubblies are of an elevated persuasion. Esepecially now when I'm around that particular singer :huh:[/quote]

You need to wear your bass lower :)

So [i]that's[/i] why you haven't left that band yet then... see the truth will out :huh:

Yep, if the gig's going okay I dance around as much as space permits. Our singer (F) sometimes does things in reponse to the lyrics and pretends to flirt with the rest of the band and generally mucks about. If the gig isn't going well I'll hardly move as I tend to be the one giving cues to the rest of the band... we really should be a lot more consistent by now... :)

Although it's been a while since we've done it - the Dr Blue version of Crossroads 'in mime' is absolute proof that neither I or our drummer can dance but the harp player can...a bit!!

Should you ever be unfortunate enough to witness it , prepare yourselves for the actions I use to illustrate the line 'seen my old friend Willy Brown'. It's not pretty.

In fact , I doubt it's legal.

Only if there's space.

I don't dance so much as twitch rhythmically, shudder, star-jump, drop-kick, then roll about a bit and glare wildly at the punters. Occasionally climb on tables, balcony, spitting fake blood and sporting an enormous fake p*nis.

I'm an oboeist with the Bournemouth Philharmonic.

My theory is that if an audience sees the band getting into it then they are more likely to step up for a jiggle themselves.

In my trib band the singer and lead guitar move about a lot but our rhythm is nailed to the spot. Personally I shut my eyes and freestyle like a mofo. Lots of banging, jumps and low down rawk poses - someone mentioned Flea earlier - well I'm kinda like that. I've noticed (or rather our lead guitarist did) that a few Fieldy-esque moves have worked their way into my repertoire too. Another odd thing I've noticed is that I do almost the same moves at the same points of the songs each time we play them, like I've practised it... but I haven't.

In my originals band it's just me and the lead guitar that show signs of life but as it's all brand new material and way more technical than the trib stuff, I tone my lunacy down a bit.

At our last gig (which was one of those with lots of foot tapping but not much dancing) eventually a lone female got up on the dancefloor. She was just starting to feel self-conscious when some idiot comes out from where he's been standing all evening and starts dancing with her - that would be me!

(Actually it got a round of applause and more people started dancing so I could retire gracefully)

elom

I have two left feet, and the future Mrs Zero has given up trying to go through barn dances with me because I'm worse than any of the dancers she normally has to work with.

When playing with the covers band, I do go walkabout with the bass at some venues (as long as I'm wireless, of course), so I can illustrate embarrassing-dad type dancing to things like "Walk of life". This does necessitate some at least halfway decent totty [1] being on the dance-floor so I can shamble round them and they can imitate knob-twiddling. Why is it that they're so fascinated by knobs, eh? I bet they couldn't tell a splined 6mm from a grub-screwed flatted shaft.

[1] Or at least in possession of two X chromosomes and not yet in possession of a bus-pass. Breathing is a bonus.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='251203' date='Jul 30 2008, 12:07 PM']Being of a fairly "Shoegazey" disposition it's very unlikely that I would move at all to be honest - maybe the odd bit of rocking back and forth to the beat but otherwise it's heads down people.[/quote]

Tie some shoes to a handy exit sign at the back of the hall ...
Then you can shoe gaze [i]and[/i] look like you are looking at the audience :)
Dancing may come easier then :huh:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='251070' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:06 AM']

Oooh.... it's a diagram of a Napier Deltic engine. Bloody trainspotters :-)[/quote]

Oh thanks.. I thought it was an orange juicing machine ..
:)

Yours Sincerely,
Ian Allen,

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='250930' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:26 PM']I dance like a mofo in the first verse of this one.

[/quote]
Wayne - Is that the Beacon Court, Canterbury St, Gillin'am? Bloody hell - all of life really is here! :ph34r:

I don't dance as such, but have been known to flail & stomp in a rhythmic fashion at such times as seem appropriate. Like when I don't have to play very many notes.

Jon.

Shoegazing.......reminds me of a review a young lady gave of our original band...well the first "version" of it: :)

Zombie Prom Club -
Multi Storey Earthworm -
Newport TJ's 14/11/06

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."

Milton was wrong. There's no dreaming yourself away to an imaginary paradise when the likes of Multi Storey Earthworm are on stage. There's no escape. No vocals, lots of gazing at the floor, directionless hippie guitar-noodling and
beards. BEARDS. (When I rule the world, bands with beards will be taken outside and shot without trial -- but that's a whole other rant.) Honestly, this sort of thing is fine in the privacy of one's own garage, but subjecting the rest of us to it is just plain cruel.

Jessica Trash.

So....no dancing for me. :huh:

Haven't read the thread so i guess it's probably already been mentioned...but...

I just get into the groove and i move as a result! I don't dance as such, well, i do but it's more that i'm just totally into the groove and kind of can't help but move. This gets great results from the audience.

We once had a deaf young lady at our gig. We didn't know she was deaf until after the gig, but she was dancing away (in time) and really loving the gig. After it she came up and managed to speak to us saying that she could feel the music through our movement and from how we moved to the groove...it helped here to interact with the music, something she is normally unable to do in the way most of us are able to. That was a pretty awesome experience, but it shows how a bit of movement goes a long way. Don't forget we're as funk as funk is funk as well!!!

Anyway...aren't we funk bassist supposed to move around like we own the groove? lol!