Why become a member? ×

bass playing with fingers

valentine

ive just started few weeks ago on how to pop and slap the bass,ive mastered the right technique i think anyway at least,sound right and looks right only on the top string though i ent tryed doing orther strings yet until i get even better,problem is though,ive been playing bass now with fingers for over 2 months and only recently has my finger finally startedmto stand up to the 2/4 hours per day of a pounding i give them,but one of my fingers has started busting up again now ive strated the popping,its the finger i pop the string with,keeps getting skinned,not sure weather thats cause im doing it wrong or cause my skin on the fingers ent strong enough yet i dont know but as of above sounds right

is there anything you can buy to give your fingers some rest bite or een any tips on how to make the skin on my fingers go rock hard?

[quote name='valentine' post='249272' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:04 AM']ive just started few weeks ago on how to pop and slap the bass,ive mastered the right technique i think anyway at least,sound right and looks right only on the top string though i ent tryed doing orther strings yet until i get even better,problem is though,ive been playing bass now with fingers for over 2 months and only recently has my finger finally startedmto stand up to the 2/4 hours per day of a pounding i give them,but one of my fingers has started busting up again now ive started the popping,its the finger i pop the string with,keeps getting skinned,not sure weather thats cause im doing it wrong or cause my skin on the fingers ent strong enough yet i dont know but as of above sounds right

is there anything you can buy to give your fingers some rest bite or een any tips on how to make the skin on my fingers go rock hard?[/quote]

Hi, i had this when i started, its perfectly normal as when you pop your using the side of your finger primarily as apposed to the center which you use when finger picking, it will harden up in time like when you started. As for a quick fix, surgical spirit. Not something ive done myself as id rather my finger hardened naturally, but thats just me and its perfectly fine, put some in a cup or dish and let your fingers rest in it for about 10-20 minutes while watching TV and you finger tips will harden rapidly.

Hope this helps
Sean

I've seen...

Flea super glue up his thumb

Mark King use tape (or a Bass Hammer anyone remember them?)

and Steve Vie Pisses on his own fingers to toughen them up - but he'd probably do that anyway.

I wouldn't reccomend any of these, unless you have a fetish. But your fingers will eventually toughen up. I know a lot of players that when learning to slap and pop alomst want to tear the strings off the bass, but you don't have to play that hard, not saying you are of course, but wother bearing in mind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

i,ve been playing bass for 4 years now. after a couple of months my fingertips were toughened up and everythinh was going well.

now i,m in a band and whenever i finish a long gig or practice where i play the strings hard, my fingers blister and the blister then opens. this can make it quite hard to play well.

there is a lot of speculation of whether to use spirit or not.

you have to use surgical spirit when using it,

it works better than superglue or wating for your fingers to heal themselves as they may not harden again.

soak your fingers in the spirit for a minute (or more) :) they should soon harden up and allow you to play like you would regardless of the blist

CORT C4H FTW

[quote name='ped' post='486377' date='May 12 2009, 10:12 PM']My fingers are soft and woman like but then I have my action so low that I put more strain on them by stroking Nellie. (she's my staffie btw, not a nickname for my 3rd leg!)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

It's one of those things that everyone seems to go through. I'd advise against using paint/vinegar/superglue/piss though, like conkers you're better off without. just persevere, it'll come right eventually.

[quote name='Machines' post='249622' date='Jul 28 2008, 03:36 PM']Yeah your fingers need to get used to the impact/abrasion, eventually they'll toughen up a bit, but until then just take it easy and stop when if hurts, let it heal and go for it again.[/quote]

The man know's what he's on about. :)

One thing i did when learning to slap was to use my 2nd finger for the pops. when it got all painful and blistery I swapped to using my 3rd finger, swapping back when neccessary (and occasionaly having to use the 1st while the other 2 fingers were recovering). I dunno if this helped ambi-digit-ousness (if that's even a word?) or not, but now I pop with all of them.

Its mainly a technique thing IMO.

To pop properly you only have to lift the string off the board far enough for it to hit the last fret when it bounces back. If you are digging in more than this then you are wasting effort, damaging your fingers more than you need to and slowing yourself down.

You are also making the difference in volume between slapping popping and fingerstyle greater in all probability.

If when you lessen the volume of popping by laying off like this, you thumping is too loud, then give yourself a break and do that more quietly too.

Really never ceases to amaze me how hard people think they have to bash their bass to sound good. Way back in the day when people started doing this stuff they had some valid excuses for beating on their gear: (amps were rubbish, paasive electronics werent as good as they are now, strings were flats or tapecore or whatever. Nowadays a very average rig, with a £250 bass will come out of the shop set up better than the vinatge guys gear was, it will be far more sensitive and way easier to play. So make your life easier by playing it 'properly'.

I think a common misconception with slapping is that it needs to be done aggressively or with force, but if you check out Marchs Miller or Alain Caron they slap gently, really controlling each stroke, you might want to lower your action so there's more give in the strings. Also try and keep your hand in a rigid fist shape, thumb extended, and use your wrist and forearm for movement.

Hope that helps

M

[quote name='urb' post='486701' date='May 13 2009, 10:24 AM']I think a common misconception with slapping is that it needs to be done aggressively or with force, but if you check out Marchs Miller or Alain Caron they slap gently[/quote]

Agree 100%!

[quote name='ped' post='486377' date='May 12 2009, 09:12 PM']My fingers are soft and woman like but then I have my action so low that I put more strain on them by stroking Nellie. (she's my staffie btw, not a nickname for my 3rd leg!)[/quote]

Having played a number of Ped's basses I can confirm this. The action that is. Not his fingers. Or the dog. Or...

Alex