Why become a member? ×

£300 Rickenbacker 4003

16Again

ohh what a weekend!
yesterday i saw this [url="http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/equipment/50699-m%5Cg-rickenbacker-sale-%A3300.html"]http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/equip...ale-%A3300.html[/url]
i went to see it today and decided even if it is a copy, for £300 it'll be worth it. so i've bought it.
looks like the real thing and i'm dead chuft that i managed to get a bargain for a change, yeha. :huh:
i think its a 1992 4003. maple glow.
it has a bent D string tuner but nothing bad, a few wee dings.
i've changed the strings, set it up again and just had a play and it plays and sounds great. :)

Does anyone know good stuff to take off sticker glue (there was a few stickers)?

£300 :huh: :huh: :huh:
yes, i'm one happy bunny :huh:

davie.

Edited by 16Again

[quote name='16Again' post='249112' date='Jul 27 2008, 08:41 PM']£300 :) :huh: :huh:
yes, i'm one happy bunny :huh:

davie.[/quote]
Hi Davie, you are one lucky dude! I posted on the other thread this evening - I believe you have a 1992 4003S model as played by the great Lemmy (pic on other thread)

Nice one!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='249126' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:10 PM']lets just hope its not stolen!!

[size=1]you might wanna email rickenbacker to make sure about this[/size]

hopefully all is good, looks lovely :huh:[/quote]

defo not stolen. :)
i know friends of the seller and asked them and he's down in his luck and just needs money quick.
he sold another ricky a few months ago. credit crunch.
but he did say he hoped i used it for gigging, which is wot i intend doing. :huh:

[quote name='Clarky' post='249122' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:02 PM']Hi Davie, you are one lucky dude! I posted on the other thread this evening - I believe you have a 1992 4003S model as played by the great Lemmy (pic on other thread)

Nice one![/quote]
aye cheers clarky
it was your advice that made me decide it was worthwhile.
cheers dude.
davie.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='249140' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:29 PM']cool, enjoy it then you lucky swine :huh:[/quote]

cheers kev

if you (or any other basschatters) need a bass looked at in aberdeen just drop me a PM and i can probably pop over and see it. :)

[quote name='16Again' post='249141' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:30 PM']aye cheers clarky
it was your advice that made me decide it was worthwhile.
cheers dude.
davie.[/quote]
Glad to be of genuine help on this Forum (instead of just a source of cr@p/unfunny comments and jokes :))

Also pleased to see the Rickenbacker-playing community on this Forum expand as there don't seem to be too many of us

You lucky lucky lucky lucky thing!! You're more lucky than a four leaf clover in a lottery winning contest with a rigteous premonition of the winning numbers......oops - too much Malbec - I'll shut up now heh heh!

Seriously mate - well scored!

Col

Bargain mate! I payed more for my Rickenfaker!

I've not really seen any good shots of the natural wood Rics, but that'd defo be my choice now!

Will you be replacing/repairing the bent tuner?

[quote name='Clarky' post='249152' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:41 PM']Also pleased to see the Rickenbacker-playing community on this Forum expand as there don't seem to be too many of us[/quote]

...says the man playing a fender in his avatar :)

:huh:

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='249344' date='Jul 28 2008, 08:52 AM']Bargain mate! I payed more for my Rickenfaker!

I've not really seen any good shots of the natural wood Rics, but that'd defo be my choice now!

Will you be replacing/repairing the bent tuner?

...says the man playing a fender in his avatar :)

:huh:[/quote]
Not any more :huh:

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='249398' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:51 AM']Nice score :huh:

re. the residue from the stickers. The one 'safe' method (least likely to affect any finish) is a soft cloth and WD40... honest you'd be amazed what that stuff can shift.[/quote]

never thought of WD40.
i'll give that a go tonight, cheers. :)

Stunner. :wub: Twice that price would still have been a bargain.

WD 40 should do the trick with the stickers.

The guy had it on Gumtree too - [url="http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/78/26683778.html"]http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/78/26683778.html[/url] - I think snagging that means you've used up all your luck for the next 27 years, though... :)

Enjoy it!

Jon.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='249547' date='Jul 28 2008, 01:18 PM']Not a bad find that...

I bought an '83 Wal Custom for 500-nicker a few years ago. That was a pretty good find too...[/quote]

I got an 84 custom for 290 was up for 320 and i had the cheek to knock him down, I feel ashamed! :)

But that is deffinatley a bargain, very similar to my 85 4003s, only difference i can see is the stereo/mono socket and 2 piece pickgaurd on mine, Well done and hope you enjoy it but if you dont please bare in mind i will always offer you what you paid for it mate :huh:

Edited by cd_david

Very nice and a hell of a steal-well played that man! For a bloke supposedly happy and GAS-free with his P-bass, I'm getting more and more itchy for a Rick. Never used to like 'em when Foxton was using one, but a bloke in a local band has one and it sounds cracking, plus I like the '50's styling. I have an urge for a JetGlo, but I don't get on too well with the white scratchplate. Is there a reason why I've never seen a JetGlo with a black scratchplate? This is a purely theoretical question as the chances of me actually getting a Rick are currently virtually zero, but you never know!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='250381' date='Jul 29 2008, 12:39 PM']Very nice and a hell of a steal-well played that man! For a bloke supposedly happy and GAS-free with his P-bass, I'm getting more and more itchy for a Rick. Never used to like 'em when Foxton was using one, but a bloke in a local band has one and it sounds cracking, plus I like the '50's styling. I have an urge for a JetGlo, but I don't get on too well with the white scratchplate. Is there a reason why I've never seen a JetGlo with a black scratchplate? This is a purely theoretical question as the chances of me actually getting a Rick are currently virtually zero, but you never know![/quote]
Bruce Foxton was wearing a Jetglo with black scratchplate on the cover of Bass Guitar Magazine a few months back!

Just another 'well done' from a fellow Ric owner (maybe there are more of us on here than we think?). Shame the guy had to sell it for so little in desperation but it was his decision and your lucky day. I don't play mine as much as it deserves but when i take it to jam sessions it usually gets played by about 4 other people drooling over it, and it's only a bog standard 4003. They just have a certain presence about 'em...

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='250381' date='Jul 29 2008, 12:39 PM']Very nice and a hell of a steal-well played that man! For a bloke supposedly happy and GAS-free with his P-bass, I'm getting more and more itchy for a Rick. Never used to like 'em when Foxton was using one, but a bloke in a local band has one and it sounds cracking, plus I like the '50's styling. I have an urge for a JetGlo, but I don't get on too well with the white scratchplate. Is there a reason why I've never seen a JetGlo with a black scratchplate? This is a purely theoretical question as the chances of me actually getting a Rick are currently virtually zero, but you never know![/quote]

heres my other ricky with a chrome scratchplate.
[attachment=11369:bass002.jpg]
That one cost a bit more than £300 though! :)

Edited by 16Again

[quote name='Clarky' post='250386' date='Jul 29 2008, 12:47 PM']Bruce Foxton was wearing a Jetglo with black scratchplate on the cover of Bass Guitar Magazine a few months back![/quote]
Knew id seen one before, Model 4003S/SPC Blackstar from ric forum

with a 69 Jazz for £650 - a Status 5 for £170 and one or two others of note I'm something of a bargain hound myself.

This is different class though - excellent effort.

Tell you what........

I'll give you £325 and I'm cutting my hand off. :) :huh: :huh: