Why become a member? ×

I might go cab-less tomorrow!?

stingrayPete1977

We are playing a beer festival tomorrow and the PA system is mega and operated by one of the guys from the Take That tour, we did it in May and I just took my 1x12 shuttle 6.0 Genz combo, I was struggling to hear my intonation on upright bass so I am thinking of ditching the amp and using my Genz 3.0 as a Di box into the desk and having a good monitor mix instead, we are a fairly quiet trio with Jobecky electric drums (the ones that look like a drum kit) so I dont have any drum sound behind me which is weird if you have never tried it! Am I brave enough? :D

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1408786330' post='2533424']
If you were struggling to hear your intonation before, I certainly wouldn't go ampless this time. The only time
I'll happily go ampless is if I'm using in ears.
[/quote]
It was my own fault though Paul, I should have adjusted my amp which was behind me to suit the tone/volume of the EUB, but I could have just asked for some bass in my own wedge instead which I did not think of until after, it was not terrible but I could have used a bit more volume.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1408784990' post='2533403']
I did this with an acoustic blues and ragtime duo on several festivals and the monitor was fine. The PA guys (they had their own stage sound man) were great.

I always carried my rig just in case. [b]It stayed in the car.[/b]
[/quote]

Thats what I am thinking, if I was to take my 1x12 again I can slip the shuttle 6.0 head out for the Di, TBH I dont even need that do I but it will give me some tone if I try post EQ which I [u]never[/u] do normally.

If you ensure you have your own monitor (in the right position), a separate and adjustable mix and stage crew to sort out channges during the numbers then you shouldn't have any problems.

If they can't guarantee that then I'd use my gear.

I see what you are saying chris, The only snag I can see is that I am doubling, what is good for the goose might not be good for the gander in my own monitor mix, I could ask for a mix for the upright in the monitor then a different one for the elec bass and take my own amp for the elec bass too which would make extra work for everyone, Lol

I'm facing a very similar situation today. Playing at a all-day multi-band event where I've been assured there will be a full PA, I can play through it any everything will be just dandy.
My combo, DI box and all necessary cables will be coming with me in the car as insurance.
It's belt and double braces, but I am a bass player after all.

I bet we are the only ones in the band that think of these things! We have elctric drums, the guitarist uses a variax and a di box with a 4x12 simulator built in and no amp, he also uses a Godin synth with a midi unit into the desk, I have an EUB and if I also go into the pa we will have plenty of room on stage thats for sure!

I'd never rely on just a monitor mix for double bass, too much risk of uncontrollable feedback, regardless of the skill of your sound engineers. If you're using electric upright though, feedback wont be a problem, so you should be ok.

For big PA gigs, I set my cab up on a keyboard stand at about shoulder height and place it to the side of the stage on my left, about 5 feet away and use that as a personal monitor. I ask for little or no bass in my monitor mix so there's less chance of feedback. That way, I can set up a sound that allows me to hear my intonation clearly but still give the engineer free reign on the FOH and monitor sound for the rest of the band

I had a thought a while ago about trying to use an [url="http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/headphone_amps/product/headtap/"]Art Head tap[/url] to hook up to the pa as a sort of basic in-ear system. Never followed it up though :rolleyes: Anyone see any potential in it? I'm probably missing the blindingly obvious......... :unsure:

You can have more confidence if you know what kit is available and whether you have a mon engr.
If you don't know any of this... then I wouldn't be taking a chance and going without my own bass monitor

We have a nice stage gig where I might have to use the stage rig as access and parking is just so much hassle...
and we have another gig to get to ..but since we can't get garaunteed secure parking for the first gig , I might have
to leave the rig at home and collect for the next gig. This will make an early slot a quick shoot and scoot

I don't tend to trust rigs unless you really know... if you do, then fair enough.

Playing live, different set-ups, acoustics, and sound engineers - it's always different
I'd definitely take a cab along

There have been times when I haven't been able to hear myself in the monitors on Double Bass
So I'd always take an amp & cab along - just in case

Sometimes, during the soundcheck, you'll hear everything fine,
then, come the gig, something has changed
Don't leave it to chance mate

I've got a couple of amp / cab combinations, and I'll usually take at least my PJ head,
and one PJ 4x5 400W cab - that way, I can at least control some element of what I can hear
Somehow, it seems more critical on DB, than Bass Guitar

Let us know how you get on

Marc

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408877929' post='2534222']
You can have more confidence if you know what kit is available and whether you have a mon engr.
If you don't know any of this... then I wouldn't be taking a chance and going without my own bass monitor

We have a nice stage gig where I might have to use the stage rig as access and parking is just so much hassle...
and we have another gig to get to ..but since we can't get garaunteed secure parking for the first gig , I might have
to leave the rig at home and collect for the next gig. This will make an early slot a quick shoot and scoot

I don't tend to trust rigs unless you really know... if you do, then fair enough.
[/quote]
I would not concider it normally but the pa is nice and like I said the sound guy was a staff crew member on the take that tour among many other big acts, olympic ceremony etc, trust me he's good!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1408878610' post='2534227']
Playing live, different set-ups, acoustics, and sound engineers - it's always different
I'd definitely take a cab along

There have been times when I haven't been able to hear myself in the monitors on Double Bass
So I'd always take an amp & cab along - just in case

Sometimes, during the soundcheck, you'll hear everything fine,
then, come the gig, something has changed
Don't leave it to chance mate

I've got a couple of amp / cab combinations, and I'll usually take at least my PJ head,
and one PJ 4x5 400W cab - that way, I can at least control some element of what I can hear
Somehow, it seems more critical on DB, than Bass Guitar

Let us know how you get on

Marc
[/quote]

I have put the 1x12 in the car, we are on at 6 so I will report back :) Weather isnt as good as when we did it in may so im hoping there will be a few punters.

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140824_192358_zps5pi3a6n2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140824_192358_zps5pi3a6n2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140824_191635_zpsu4h5u1pu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140824_191635_zpsu4h5u1pu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140824_195722_zpsvj2k54wd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140824_195722_zpsvj2k54wd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It probably wasn't as bad as I thought but I've had better gigs.