Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz and Fender Precision - Mexican or American?

riviera_kid

I had a 2000 model Mexican Jazz which turned out to be more than a bit rubbish - very flat sounding & no depth of tone. Very happy with all three basses noted in my signature though, & they are from varying parts & eras of the Fender range.

As mentioned above & as I think you've already concluded, you need to go out & try some - both new & used in your price bracket. One will feel & sound best to you, and that's what really counts regardless of what's written on the headstock!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1407879131' post='2525073']
Got to say though, I had a 2012 MIM Precision and it was much better than the earlier ones I`ve had. maybe luck, or maybe Fender have upped the MIMs, whichever it was a great player.
[/quote]

I have a 2011 MIM Standard P which is definitely a step up from the early 00's equivalents I had played previously.

I would say that the best value for money consistently would be the Silver Series Squiers - MIJ early 90s. I've had both Silver Series Precision and Jazz basses and they are both great instruments (the Precision particularly - fantastic tone) and I haven't read a bad opinion about either. And they don't go for silly money either.

But, as had been said but worth repeating, try as many as you can as you will most likely be surprised. My most recent bass has proved to be the best I have played - comfortable, superb tone, lightweight, great neck and build quality - does all the things I have been looking for in a bass. Passes the 'Stevie Wonder Test' with flying colours. It is a 1984 MIJ Squier medium scale Precision - who would have thought?

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1407852932' post='2524661']
I've had, played fiddled fettled & sold a few Mexican Precisions, 2 fretted & a fretless if memory serves. They were all very nice, great to play, looked spot on, well made - but I sold them.

I've got a few US P's, 3 in the rack, they're each really nice, even better to play, even better looking, even better made, never had a bad one & never wanted to sell any of them B)

It doesn't matter what badge they wear, it matters that you enjoy what you buy & get on with :)
[/quote]

This. Almost exactly the same expeirence but with Js. The Mexican and Japanese Jazz Basses I've had have generally been absolutely fine but now I've just got US Standard Js - a '64, '78 and '13.

Whatever feels right.

I picked up a used MIM Geddy Lee sig Jazz a few months ago as a backup. I've previously owned the MIJ model a few years back.

Surprised me as the pups are much stronger, neck more stable....big improvement on the old model for my experience, and it's MIM.

Just shows you what's out there - but if my main bass was a Fender, I'd go MIA, as I'm an unapologetic bass snob! :P

I wouldn't have said this in the past but I've came to the opinion that in general you're better to buy a US Fender especially post 2008.

There are no modifications required, they feel and play superbly, sound good, look good, are well finished and you get a decent case. Plus if you decide to sell they seem to hold more of their value.

But having said that, I have a MIM classic 70s jazz in sunburst with blocks and bound rosewood neck and the quality is almost at US fender level. On the other hand they aren't that cheap - currently just over £700.00. I seem to remember when the 2008 US models were introduced they were priced around that level?

Anyway, I'm going to recommend the MIM classic series because they are, I think, a possibly future classic. (And not because of the model name. :sorry: )

Frank.

The newer MIM Standards are close to the MIA Standards, but the Am. Std.'s are a bit cleaner over all. The boards are a bit slicker, and there is a difference in pups, and electronics in them. The Mexican Standards don't come with a gig bag either. The Am. Standards come with a case.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1408037593' post='2526542']
The newer MIM Standards are close to the MIA Standards, but the Am. Std.'s are a bit cleaner over all. The boards are a bit slicker, and there is a difference in pups, and electronics in them. The Mexican Standards don't come with a gig bag either. The Am. Standards come with a case.
[/quote]

Got a quality gig bag with my MIM Precision I bought from Wunjo's on Denmark St, at a web beating price! Assumed it wasn't thrown in, given the price I paid.