Why become a member? ×

Is there no love for Peavey ?

Cracking bass going to sell for peanuts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Grind-4-String-Bass-Guitar-Through-Neck-/151374010259?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item233e981793

Begs the question Why no interest ?

Mind you Monday night is a lousy time to sell anything.

I used a 5 string Grind on an album recording a few years ago and it sounded really good the engineer couldn't believe how cheap it was when I told him. Cost me £100 secondhand. Great bass but I no longer play 5 string so it got moved on.

Seems the love is coming it was at £72 when I posted.

The Peaveys all sound good IMO, I've this dirt cheap Milestone that is a joy to play get some serious Motown with it.
No intention of parting with any of them, rate the Cirrus highly and the Millennium but the Grind well you just pick it
up and play. Instant great tone with no mucking around.

AT there has been an increase in basses recently and I just found out how to do a gear list.

Too be honest some of the older stuff like the 310 and the Washburns have been neglected for the last wee while.
The BC badly needs a change of strings so I'll do that now ( Bass Centre Elites ). Can't see me ever parting with it,
nearly 20 years so would be daft to sell it now. Buckle rash trough to the wood, crackling pots but when you get started
plays great.

Give you an A/B later

Well that went for a decent price. Buyer got good deal and I bet the seller is jumping through hoops with it jumping £115 in last 3 hours.

Edited by kodiakblair

I picked up an old peavey t40 in it's original case a few years back for less than one went for... some makes just don't seem to sell well, old japanese Yamaha's can be picked up for stupid low money too...

Yamaha, Peavey, some of the older washburns.... there's some bargains out there.

Think I was £140 delivered for the Grind and I jumped, never regretted it, seen some T40's recently asking £350/400

Older Washburns though, Had ABT B-20 when they came out round 87/88,paid £299 in Machinehead Music Harlow
yet picked up ABT B-105 mint last year £65.There's no logic to prices.

AT I'm glad you spurred me to pick up the SGC 310, it's MIJ 883608 so I guess made in 88. Must get some contact spray tomorrow
and replace the 9v but what a neck. While I'm kinda struck on the Peaveys the SGC is some bit of kit, easiest bass to set up ever
change of strings, drop in action, few turns to set intonation, maybe 20 mins played a dream. Slimest and Thinnest neck I've got bar the Ibanez.

Get it sorted in the morning and I'll post my thoughts on both.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1408001176' post='2526075']
Siggery?
[/quote]
Yes. It's lovely. :D

I think that generally people are very traditional in what they buy nowadays and go for a corporate name. I'm sure that a lot of guitars and basses made in the 60s and 70s wouldn't be made today. There aren't many risks taken when designing mainstream items anymore. Look at buildings and cars of the 60s that wouldn't get beyond the design stage today.

I know that you and I and a good few others like a quirky or unusual bass but we are in the minority which is good for us but also a pity.

Edited by BetaFunk

I think some of it has to do with the fact people buy stuff online these days, from a photo. Having an F on the neck plate means to most people a guarantee of a certain level of quality (because they are famous) - of course most of us know different, but not everyone is on basschat.

The likes of Peaveys etc. are either picked up by someone who knows for a bargain, or more usually someone willing to take a punt on a cheap bass. I wouldn't say that most people go looking for a Peavey bass online when you can get a multitude of "1948 Fendder Jazz Gibson Precision Ibanez Rickenbacker Custom Relic Handmade one of a kind Replica bass guitar WITH STRAP" for £100 or so...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408002888' post='2526094']
Yes. It's lovely. :D

I think that generally people are very traditional in what they buy nowadays and go for a corporate name. I'm sure that a lot of guitars and basses made in the 60s and 70s wouldn't be made today. There aren't many risks taken when designing mainstream items anymore. Look at buildings and cars of the 60s that wouldn't get beyond the design stage today.

I know that you and I and a good few others like a quirky or unusual bass but we are in the minority which is good for us but also a pity.
[/quote]

I think your Siggery looks beautiful. I have't played one, so can't comment on the playability from a personal viewpoint. However, I googled and basschat/searched a bit and everyone seems to love them. Visually, I also really like the Lodestone basses

I even like the headstock, though some others don't. If I had a choice between this and a standard looking Fender and they both played and sounded the same, I'd definitely go for the Lodestone, even if it was one of the solid colour ones. The same for the Siggery, lovely red finish and flame maple on yours. Usually I don't like flame maple jazzes, but the look really works on yours.

Returning to topic, Peaveys seem to be underrated. But there are other brands, perhaps LTD, which seem to be even more underrated. Some of the Yamahas are brilliant, but go for utterly ridiculous prices second hand. I've played a Yammie RBX375 that I thought was brilliant. I've seen them sell for £80.

Though, while I'm not insisting on standard Fender basses (I don't own any), I must admit that I really enjoyed playing every USA Fender I've tried. I've been less impressed by others with most Mexican Fenders and even the Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage modified (barring a VM fretless that was brilliant) that I've tried.

Edited by Annoying Twit

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1407785476' post='2524050']
Lonestar that was a great deal for the Landers.

You're right about buyers AT I counted only 10 items with bids tonight out of 50 lots.
[/quote]

Sure was for a US made signature bass.
Had a reall problem trying to source replacement stacked pots though. Even Peavey USA couldn't find one.

Hi Lonestar

There's another TL 5 up for grabs ATMO. Timing is lousy my contract has been put back 2 weeks so I should be
curtailing bass buys.

If you're stuck for parts in future try over on TB, a lot of Peavey owners there strangely not
so staunch MIA as owners of some other brands. Sure someone there could help locate parts.