Why become a member? ×

Any Basschatters used this guy? Maybe of use to some of you

Thunderbird

Just saw this advert on Gumtree for bass set ups etc and thought the price seemed quite fair for the work he says he will do (the company has nothing to me and I don,t know the guy)

So was just wondering if any of you guys had used his service and what your thoughts are on it? I was thinking it could be quite good for new players or bass owners to use if they are not confident in setting a bass up and most shops seem to charge 40 or 50 quid bog standard set up so just passing this on really

http://www.gumtree.com/p/business-services/electric-guitar-and-bass-service-60/1074233952

my first thought is that anyone half decent wouldn't be running a service like that via gumtree. It doesn't seem that cheap either - its just a basic setup with a bit of a look at the frets.

my second thought is.... if you're going to get someone mucking around with your frets go to a professional with a good rep. If you're just doing to just be setting, neck relief, height and intonation... flipping learn to do it yourself - it's not hard, it's not like many of us have floyd rose trems or the like!

If the return next day courier is in with the price - and it doesn't seem to say otherwise - I wouldn't like to work out what his hourly rate is but it's not much. Though a lot of what's described as "inspect" could be a two second look. Outside of that he seems to do quite a bit for the price.

edit: I know/knew of two techs attached to shops who have a min charge of £65.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1407257212' post='2518880']
If the return next day courier is in with the price - and it doesn't seem to say otherwise - I wouldn't like to work out what his hourly rate is but it's not much. Though a lot of what's described as "inspect" could be a two second look. Outside of that he seems to do quite a bit for the price.

edit: I know/knew of two techs attached to shops who have a min charge of £65.
[/quote] Agreed at the ad seems to suggest that the strings are also included in the price that is why I thought it seemed good value but like the others have pointed out if it is just a quick set up and tidy up it may be a touch dear mind you both guitar shops around her charge just shy of £50 for a set up without strings but I guess that is kind of cos they have the monopoly hence why I learnt how to do my own

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1407258156' post='2518898']
Agreed at the ad seems to suggest that the strings are also included in the price that is why I thought it seemed good value but like the others have pointed out if it is just a quick set up and tidy up it may be a touch dear mind you both guitar shops around her charge just shy of £50 for a set up without strings but I guess that is kind of cos they have the monopoly hence why I learnt how to do my own
[/quote]

Yeah, factor in the cost of a set of bass strings - and assuming I'm right about the courier & what's left ain't much as a rate + all the admin to do.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1407256446' post='2518871']
my first thought is that anyone half decent wouldn't be running a service like that via gumtree. It doesn't seem that cheap either - its just a basic setup with a bit of a look at the frets.

my second thought is.... if you're going to get someone mucking around with your frets go to a professional with a good rep. If you're just doing to just be setting, neck relief, height and intonation... flipping learn to do it yourself - it's not hard, it's not like many of us have floyd rose trems or the like!
[/quote] I kind of agree with you there but in fairness to the guy he may be just starting out on his own from home and maybe he really does not have the money to get a shop etc but assuming he is just a "player" making some extra cash then yeah is pretty bad and as you say say if it is just a basic set up and quick look at the frets not good. And I also agree about learning to do your own set ups but there is a lot of people around who are maybe just starting playing and think if a "pro" is working on my bass must be good or then of course there are people who just don't want to learn how to set up or just cant be asked I myself think that being able to do basic maintenance on your bass is an ability every player should have I mean if I set my bass up and it feels good and I am happy with my bass and I truly think it helps me to play better I don't know why it just does ..Placebo effect? and to be perfectly honest I really enjoy working on my basses and I think I have become rather good at it took a lot of practice and have buggered it up in the early days but that only makes you better but I feel really proud of doing a good job :)

Personally I'd never pay more than £30 for a set up since a professional can do it in no time at all. And when Andy Viccars worked his magic on my basses that's all it cost and he even threw in a neck shim, bridge realignment, and a cheeky fret dress. Made a budget Shine SB26 play better than anything I've ever had my hands on!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1407261677' post='2518963']
Personally I'd never pay more than £30 for a set up since a professional can do it in no time at all. And when Andy Viccars worked his magic on my basses that's all it cost and he even threw in a neck shim, bridge realignment, and a cheeky fret dress. Made a budget Shine SB26 play better than anything I've ever had my hands on!
[/quote]Thats really good but if you live somewhere where there is not really many pros you either do it yourself or pay over the odds I think £30 for that set up was amazing value :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1407274744' post='2519153']
Thats really good but if you live somewhere where there is not really many pros you either do it yourself or pay over the odds I think £30 for that set up was amazing value :)
[/quote] He's in Cambridgeshire not the Isle of Rum!
It's a bit strange I think, I wouldn't trust a nobody with a fret file, and the rest of the set up stuff is what I have done for free for my friends if they ask.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1407360956' post='2519885']
I think i know this guy. Or at least know of him. He does guitar lessons and minor repairs etc.... Never heard anything bad to be honest. I have heard some good things about his lessons etc... I'll double check it's the same guy. I'll be back.
[/quote]

But have you used him ? Is there something you want to tell us?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1407308536' post='2519256']
My local luthier, Terry Chapman, charges about £25 for a basic set up - he even set my Wal up for free. He doesn't need to advertise...me and Lozz196 do it for him..
[/quote]
I used him a while back, he did a really good job for me. Nice chap too.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407364232' post='2519916']

But have you used him ? Is there something you want to tell us?
[/quote]
No.... Sorry it's not the guy I've had indirect dealings with (this guy in the same area used to source necks for me at one time). Anyway, beyond this point I have no more to contribute.