Why become a member? ×

Which 12?

chrkelly

I'm going through a complete change of gear at the mo, moving down to something a lot more portable for every day use. I'll be in possession of an Aguilar AG500 tomorrow and I'm looking for a 12 cab (well two 12s) to go with it. Current contenders are Bergantino AE112, HT112er/EX112, Epifani UL112, Aguilar DB112. Any thoughts on these cabs? Basically, the cab has to have a great deep smooth sound but still with enough detail as I'll be using it with an old flat strung precision and a double bass. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I have listed most of the currently available 1x12 cabs on the basschat wiki. I have the Genz Benz at the moment and they breathe a little deeper than the EBS I had before by virtue of the larger cab, but they are larger and heavier. The Berg HT/EX combo has a smoother top end but are considerably heavier. I would have got the Bergs had they been lighter.

Any reason you're not considering the Schroeder 12+L? It's pretty capable and easily in the same league.

For something "outside of the box" consider the BFM OmniTop 12 [url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/OmniTop12.html"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/OmniTop12.html[/url]

Hamster

I too only have experience with the Epi UL112 - it is a suberb cab and really lightweight (though not brilliantly balanced). There is real articulacy, accuracy, smoothness and depth - I suspect that it would be ideal for your needs (the tweeter is variable too if you need a bit of airy but not harsh top end).

I doubt there are many that will be able to give a real world comparison of these cabs and most of us will probably extol the virtues of the cabs that we have :)

I have a pair of the DB12s and I must confess they sound fuller and rounder than the Neo equipped EBS 2x12s that I used to own. I won't try to make a fair comparison to the Tech cabs I've also recently owned as they weren't 12s and the 6x10 was a different beast all together, but comparing like for like tone with the same amp the Aggies are fuller and deeper 'for a given volume/gain setting'. I've not tested the Aggies limits even though they have been my backline (no PA support) cabs for a few gigs with a rock band but I wouldn't expect them to achieve what the bigger 6x10 cab could achieve. Though I stress that I think my ears would bleed before you got to the limits of the DBs anyway :huh:

One thing that I would say is that if you are getting the Aggies be sure to get one cab with the tweeter, as you'd not achieve any decent top end detail without it and I'd have been disappointed had I not got the tweeter in one of mine (one tweeter loaded cab is sufficient). If you aren't sorted soon I fully expect to get together with WaterofTyne soon and he uses a P bass strung with flats and appreciates a completely different tone to the type I like (i.e. at least a smidgen of top end :huh: ) so he might be able to give some insight; especially as he had a Schroeder 2x12+10 (at least I think it was that).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='248926' date='Jul 27 2008, 02:49 PM']I doubt there are many that will be able to give a real world comparison of these cabs and most of us will probably extol the virtues of the cabs that we have :huh:[/quote]

:)
.... I'm liking me new Berg AE112's :huh:

....to my [i]biased[/i] ears it covers "a great deep smooth sound but still with enough detail" perfectly!...

& god... it's so nice not breaking out in a sweat carting them up & down me stairs on a hot gigging day!

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='chrkelly' post='249789' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:07 PM']Cheers for the suggestions guys, a trip to Mark's and The Gallery is in order this week me thinks. Love the look of the tweed and the chocolate aggies, and they're much cheaper than the others.[/quote]

I've got three of the green DB112 cabs. Am I the only one to get green ones?!!

Great little cabs, and fuller sounding than neo cabs in my opinion.

I use a single Aguilar GS112 at the moment and couldn't be happier with it! Getting another one ASAP too.
From what I've heard the DB cabs are even better, so I think they'd be a safe bet.

They ain't quite as light as some of the NEO ones, but I reckon there's more girth to the sound as a result, and at around 40 lbs, they're still a one hand lift anyway.
I'm sure you could spend £600 on a better 1X12 cab, but as far as bang for buck goes the Aggies are pretty hard to beat I reckon.

Just my 2p...

Cheers,
Eude

I've used both Aguilar and Bergantino 12's, and while I liked the sound of the GS112 it was too heavy! My AE210 weighs 40lbs, less than the GS112, and the AE112 is even less than that. Various band members have told me that the Bergantino cabs are the best sounding so far.
These cabs are all good but all have differences so, really, you should listen to them before deciding. If they are in stock, the Aguilar, Epifani and Schroeder cabs will be at the Bass Gallery, Dr Bass at RIM in Luton and Bergantino, Genz Benz and Markbass at Bass Direct near Coventry. Then there is Zoot in Essex. What a great day out!!

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='249306' date='Jul 28 2008, 02:14 AM']:)
.... I'm liking me new Berg AE112's :huh:

....to my [i]biased[/i] ears it covers "a great deep smooth sound but still with enough detail" perfectly!...

& god... it's so nice not breaking out in a sweat carting them up & down me stairs on a hot gigging day![/quote]

+1 on 2 x AE112

I had a Schroeder 1212L before and that has very good a full round bottom :huh: Mid hump is prominent though ( I liked it but some hate it)

Get yourself up to the BassDirect test bunker for a few hours ..