Why become a member? ×

ended with a bang(not quite)

bobbytodd

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1407104244' post='2517452']
My phone goes into flight mode or off when on stage. Nothing worse than amps picking up interference or your mum calling you to ask how your gig is going.
[/quote]

This.
Apart from the mum bit.

Agree that its a no no using them during a performance but its overkill not to take them to a gig at all. Theres always some downtime between soundcheck and the first set and then a break between sets. We've had people approach us about booking us for weddings during the break between sets so having a device at hand to immediately access the band online gig diary, swapping contact numbers etc, can be useful.

The only time I've picked up any interference from my phone through my amp was when I accidentally left it on top of the combo itself at a jam session once. I've never got a 'signal' to the amp from my phone when its in my pocket even when I've been standing quite close to it. Maybe no one has ever rung me during a gig? I'm not using wireless at the moment though.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1407164686' post='2517939']
Why not just turn it off?
[/quote]

I meant mine goes into flight mode or I turn it off ("flight mode or off") - I wasn't 100% clear with that :) Sometimes I may want to grab a quick photo of he band set up on stage so I tend to use flight mode more often.

If you think some RF noise through the amps is bad, check this story out - we did a cheap wedding gig for a friend's son on Saturday. The happy couple wanted a Miley Cyrus (shudder) song for the first dance.
We made it clear that we wouldn't learn it, but would put it on the between-sets ipod
Now the groom used to do some DJing back in the day so he says "I'll put a load of music onto my phone for between the sets, save you the hassle - you just have the first dance on yours as an emergency backup"

Fantastic! We're saved the bother of spinning up tunes before, between, and after our sets.

So, the announcement goes up for the first dance, and Miley starts playing from the groom's phone. Happy couple all loved up during the dance. Until... his ringtone kicks in during the first chorus! :)
Silly bugger didn't put it in airplane mode. Bride looked distinctly unimpressed!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407180779' post='2518148']
Why bother turning it off when flight mode does essentially the same thing but quicker? ;) :P
[/quote]

plus you can still use it as a watch, and take pictures, check calendar...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1407189519' post='2518295']
plus you can still use it as a watch, and take pictures, check calendar...
[/quote]
[size=4]I was sort of thinking of the [/size]psychological[size=4] step of turning it off, it being a bit like saying "for the next 3 hours the gig comes above everything else".[/size]

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1407326014' post='2519427']
[size=4]I was sort of thinking of the [/size]psychological[size=4] step of turning it off, it being a bit like saying "for the next 3 hours the gig comes above everything else".[/size]
[/quote]

I can still focus on something while having my phone with me ;)
I am very good at ignoring phone calls too, I don't subscribe to the belief that all phone calls must be answered and answered immediately. It's a tool. Use it, don't be used by it. :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1407180712' post='2518146']
I meant mine goes into flight mode or I turn it off ("flight mode or off") - I wasn't 100% clear with that :) Sometimes I may want to grab a quick photo of he band set up on stage so I tend to use flight mode more often.
[/quote]

Or do what I do: take the precaution of having no friends, so the thing never rings while I'm on stage!