Why become a member? ×

I need all of your expert opinions!!

JJW

I need help deciding what my next bass should be but I can't decide what one is better myself:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=Ythgugujg&icep_item=221381130793&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

Or

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=Ythgugujg&icep_item=321432779119&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

So it's a choice between a P or a J? How long is a piece of string?
[size=4]Normally I'd say the Jazz, but by all accounts the Modern Player is a bit weak. Though I've not played one myself.[/size]
[size=4]So in this case I'd probably opt for the American Standard P. Because I like maple boards.[/size]

[size=4]That is my expert opinion!! :D ;)[/size]

Depends on what type of sounds needed, and types of gigs you`re doing but I alwlays go for the Precision. Easier to get a workable sound (imo) if using provided rigs, and I find it easier to thin down a Precision if required, than to fatten up a Jazz. But that could be due to my greater experience with Precisions than Jazzes, rather than the basses themselves.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405705228' post='2504562']
So it's a choice between a P or a J? How long is a piece of string?
[/quote]
+1 Why not buy & sell second hand for a while and see if anything grabs you?

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1405706892' post='2504607']
+1 Why not buy & sell second hand for a while and see if anything grabs you?
[/quote]

That's a sure way to get GAS - I agree try plenty before you buy though.

For my two penneth I'd go for the P too.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1405709608' post='2504658']
I don't think I could live without a bridge pickup! And since the modern player jazz has a humbucker at the neck instead of a weedy jazz pickup that would be my first choice!
[/quote]
[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1405715790' post='2504741']
From what I've heard on YouTube (through headphones) the Modern Player Jazz seems a bit too 'polite' is the only way I can describe it, whereas that Precision is sure to have bags of character...
[/quote]

Yes... sort of... and yes... the Modern Player is (I think) pretending to be butch but it's not. I know of members here who have bought them and immediately swapped out the pups because they were weedier than Weedy Jack McWeedy, winner of last year's 'Mr Weedy' competition.

So between an American Jazz and an American P, I'd go for the Jazz. But between this half-arsed Mexican Jazz and an American P, I'd go for the P every day of the week. It's bound to have more balls by comparison.

Edited by discreet

Personally I'd go for the American P Bass...

This time I'm not saying this because Im a die-hard P lover but that Jazz Bass is a 'Modern Player' bass and from my experience with 'modern players' they never felt well built and it felt to me like a cheap instrument.

But thats one mans opinion!

Used a P for donkeys years for many different types of music. My son has an American standard P too ( with maple board) and prefers it over his jazz. For all round usability I'd go P. Finally as I once heard in a quote if you turn up with a Jazz people expect you to be able to play.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1405759549' post='2504964']
I believe those Modern Player Jazz basses are made in China...
[/quote]

Ah... if that's the case then they're probably better than if they were MIM... Obviously I'm going to have to try one for myself and not just endlessly regurgitate what other people have said... wtf do [i]they [/i]know, anyway?? :lol: