Why become a member? ×

Do you guys ever get pee'd off with JUST being the bass player?

Highfox

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1404300798' post='2491264']
spoke to the guitarist today and he complemented my bass playing and said that I bring my own sound to the band and that that won't be lost.
[/quote]

Result! :)

Back to the original question.. You could also think of it differently.
I am not being Just the bass player
I am BEING just the bass player
I am being just THE bass player
and so on..

Now, don't we all just feel better? :D

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1404300798' post='2491264']
Thanks everyone.
I cleared the air a bit this morning,
spoke to the guitarist today and he said I'm welcome to come along and make suggestions at any point, he also said the extra guitar parts are there to just beef things up if need.
I made him aware that I'd like to have a say in the final sound and production stages.
Seems we might be batting for the same team after all.. He also complemented my bass playing and said that I bring my own sound to the band and that that won't be lost.
Lets see.. I'm a lot more confident today.
Thanks again to the caring bass chat members for letting me air my worries and insecurities.
I'll post up when we have the final product in the bag so to speak.
[/quote]

Result !! :D

Well done and good news all round by sound of it.

Happy for you. Now go for it. !!!

Dave

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1404302870' post='2491304']
Good tip. Similarly, a slap bass solo can easily be replaced by simply recording a shopping trolley full of empty coke cans being pushed down a fire escape.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant !!! made me laugh.

I let people think i am just the bass player..fools.Dont say much when recording,then when you do say something in the studio people notice.Listen to everything thats being played YOU have your name put on this recording,make it count and be happy with what you have done.If you are unhappy then say so but also there is a time to bite lip and engage brain first. :)

One band I was in, the technophobe guitarist insisted on doing the 'demo-for-gigs' exactly as live. One pass per song through a full Marshall stack in a small studio and off he went with his amp. Of course, on playback it sounded thin and dreadful.

Conspiring with the engineer we dialled out everything but his (many) solos and I substituted his rhythm parts using plug-ins to get a Marshall tone. When the guitarist heard the final mix he looked a bit bewildered at the overall 'fullness', demanding to know if someone had added something in his absence.

'How could that be?' we said. 'You took your amp with you when you left.'

'Oh, right,' says he, preening. 'Y'know, I [i]am[/i] a pretty good guitarist, aren't I?'

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Am i the only one who has completely lost interest in the whole recording shenanigans by the time the last bass part has been done? Hours and hours endlessly making minor tweaks to tracks that you have spent hours and hours recording is hard work.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1404419101' post='2492555']
One band I was in, the technophobe guitarist insisted on doing the 'demo-for-gigs' exactly as live. One pass per song through a full Marshall stack in a small studio and off he went with his amp. Of course, on playback it sounded thin and dreadful.
Conspiring with the engineer we dialled out everything but his (many) solos and I substituted his rhythm parts using plug-ins to get a Marshall tone. When the guitarist heard the final mix he looked a bit bewildered at the overall 'fullness', demanding to know if someone had added something in his absence.

'How could that be?' we said. 'You took your amp with you when you left.'
'Oh, right,' says he, preening. 'Y'know, I [i]am[/i] a pretty good guitarist, aren't I?'
[/quote]

Brilliant. And typical.

My latest project....10 minutes from set up to final take on the bass, still on our 3rd day getting the guitar parts right, the band all said "how come you can just turn up and get it right in one go"...easy I am JUST the bassist :)

Fortunately we are all recording our parts individually on our own recording gear so there are not costs involved other than our time, mixing wise we all have a copy of all of the individual tracks to take away and create our own mix from it.....first time we have done that and boy, mixing is not straight forward at all.

I am really loving working this way

My recent expereience of recording
Drummer and I were expected to go in and nail it ASAP - we were both a bit unhappy with the rush and basicaly had two three takes max. We never really heard it again until it was to be mixed (and honestly not THAT bothered really) and at that point there were some minor but obvious to us mistakes and a bass part which was dropped in over a build up section I didnt record! Singer did it as he "plays a bit of bass"!

All vocals were done and redone until nailed and the guitar and over dubs the same - when it came to paying the back up singe got charged less in the 5 way split as she only did a little bit of vocals. Drummer and I agreed to pay our share but reminded them all that we had the least 'studio time' and the least input.

We're recording again soon and there are clear boundaries as to what the drummer and I will accept in the final mix. The guy recording did a live room field recording to get the vibe and I can tell he thinks one of the songs the guitarist is over playing - I have to agree. The guitarist has declared "I'm gonna ask for a production credit"! and wonder how he'll feel if asked to under play the verse!! Drummer and I pointed out the poor quality of our last recording and and asked him how he would fix the errors he and the singer let slip on the last recording. New prouder guy took great pleasure in this and I feel we'll have a better final product thanks to his input! You have to laugh at the ego of the other pair tho - they think they're producers already :)

I understand that recording bass is a straightforward task compared to the multi layering of vocals etc. If I play my part well I'm not gonna go back and listen to overdubs etc and woldn't want to but if you are happy with your parts as they are recorded then simply enjoy the process while you are there and be glad you're not dragged back again and again while the singer and guitarists ego wrestle for prominence in the mix :rolleyes:

Edited by krispn