Why become a member? ×

How do you share tracks with bandmates ?

BigBeatNut

We don't share stuff too often, but usually we get to together at mine and I stick youtube on, and we all have our phones or iPads synced and we can que up tunes. We take it turns, it's ace as no one knows what's coming up next really and when you are forced to listen to something you wouldn't pick out yourself it opens your eyes.

Plus it's nice and social, have a few coke zeros and relax.

When I was playing in my covers band I went out and bought the relevant CDs with the tracks that I needed to learn on them. I thought that if I'm going to be earning money playing the songs the least I could do is buy the CD with it on. As a plus I got to hear some other great songs that I wouldn't have done otherwise.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1404124683' post='2489429']
When I was playing in my covers band I went out and bought the relevant CDs with the tracks that I needed to learn on them. I thought that if I'm going to be earning money playing the songs the least I could do is buy the CD with it on. As a plus I got to hear some other great songs that I wouldn't have done otherwise.
[/quote]

I understand completely where you're coming from, but, I don't think I can ask every band member to go and shell out for 14 cds (right now) or 28 cds (for a reasonably sized giggable setlist). 17 or 34 mp3 ... maybe, but I don't think I can ask, that's up to individual band members.

Actually, I suppose that's one benefit of the spotify approach, if you're paying spotify then the bands are getting at least something back.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1404124683' post='2489429']
[/quote]

Same here. It seems only fair to me.

I send round mp3s so that everyone has the same version of the song. That way I know they've got it rather than hoping they remember to go to Dropbox or similar.

Another dropbox user here.works for rehearsal recordings,covers mp3s, overdubs, equipment manuals, bill receipts, invoices, insurance and PAT documents.
Spreadsheets, contacts for venues blah blah...
everything you need for a band to function.
For those who use Youtube, there is a little cheeky program, called http://www.listentoyoutube.com/, which if you type into a browser, will call up the site, you then copy and paste the Youtube link of the song into it, and it will convert and download an mp3 version of it for you. : )
Great for getting all the tunes in one place and offline.

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1404138164' post='2489617']
Another dropbox user here.works for rehearsal recordings,covers mp3s, overdubs, equipment manuals, bill receipts, invoices, insurance and PAT documents.
Spreadsheets, contacts for venues blah blah...
everything you need for a band to function.
For those who use Youtube, there is a little cheeky program, called http://www.listentoyoutube.com/, which if you type into a browser, will call up the site, you then copy and paste the Youtube link of the song into it, and it will convert and download an mp3 version of it for you. : )
Great for getting all the tunes in one place and offline.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, sounds a handy tool.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1404158301' post='2489915']
I'm always surprised when musicians are reluctant to pay for music.
[/quote]

The subject of this thread is regarding sharing songs with band members for learning purposes, not necessarily downloading songs for any personal library. It would, to me, seem rather rash to go and buy a dozen CDs or for all band members to buy all tracks possibly to find that a few of them are not going to work anyway. Any that do work and end up in the set list (here anyway) should then, before a performance, be listed for the venue organisers to pass to SACEM (the French PRS) in order to make sure that the composers get paid from the licence fees that the venues pay.

As I had stated earlier, we send YouTube links to each other. Purely for the purposes of learning new material. I don't buy any music these days because I have no need to collect or keep any. The Internet has made it possible for me to listen to whatever I wish, whenever I wish, legally, for free. Likewise with the TV based radio stations, for which I pay a licence fee.

When I joined my current band I suggested a private Facebook page, all ideas are posted on there usually with the relevant you tube link.

I personally then have a You Tube pay list to learn the songs, I don't know what other band mates do.

It all seems to work.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1404138164' post='2489617']
For those who use Youtube, there is a little cheeky program, called [url="http://www.listentoyoutube.com/"]http://www.listentoyoutube.com/[/url], which if you type into a browser, will call up the site, you then copy and paste the Youtube link of the song into it, and it will convert and download an mp3 version of it for you. : )
[/quote]

You've just reminded me of http://chordify.net/ .... you give it a youtube link, and it builds a chord sheet for you. Not 100% reliable, but what it gives you saves a lot of effort over doing it all from scratch, you just have to go back over it and correct (once you've cut'n'pasted into a spreadsheet).

[quote name='Lewbass' timestamp='1404214453' post='2490311']
Sound Cloud.
[/quote]

hmmm ... but

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1404083626' post='2489206']
I was using SoundCloud until a couple of months ago when they stopped it from being used as a tool for internal use by bands. Thanks, SoundCloud.
[/quote]

We used to just hang out and listen to music together when we were kids. Now I find having a Spotify playlist that anyone can edit and add tracks to is the best option. Obviously it has it's downsides because not everything is on Spotify, especially a lot of smaller bands. But for us it's definitely the best an easiest option.

Edited by markb88

For the odd track or two, send as e-mail attachments. One track in mp3 is usually inside the size limit of most mail servers.

For more tracks, zip them (for convenience not size) and send via a file forwarding service e.g. wetransfer.com

Or paste the youtube links into something like keepvid.com which allows you to download either the whole video or just mp3 audio (which you can then pitch shift into another key if necessary).

Edited by dincz