Why become a member? ×

Bobby Womack has died.

Bassman Sam

Bobby supped much of the soundtrack to my life from the mid 80's to early 90's.

So much so that the first time my, very young, daughter saw a black person in the street in our little, predominantly white, suburb she proclaimed:

"Oh look daddy, there's a Womack"!

I saw him live many times and, when he was at his peak, he was an amazing performer and generally had superb live bands.

Along with Al Green he was one of those people who could bring his band up and down with a gesture or a vocal cue and always brought great individual performances from his band members who he often featured mid-song.

I was at each night of the sessions when the live album and film were recorded in London. It's a very good DVD and worth tracking down if you haven't seen it.

Here's an example featuring Altrina Grayson on female vocals:

http://youtu.be/L5JehlTaH7g

Very saddened by this news. Saw Bobby live a couple of years ago when he was in quite poor health. Being the consummate professional, he still managed a great show, and what a fantastic voice. R.I.P. Bobby.

Edited by Bo0tsy

Just one of those guys who you couldn't imagine doing much else than music, just seemed to flow from him. Not really my area so could be wrong but I always got the impression he was more appreciated by other artists than he was by the general public and maybe didn't have such a global public recognition as he might have deserved.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1403953176' post='2487982']
Just one of those guys who you couldn't imagine doing much else than music, just seemed to flow from him. Not really my area so could be wrong but I always got the impression he was more appreciated by other artists than he was by the general public and maybe didn't have such a global public recognition as he might have deserved.
[/quote]i tend to agree with this. and i think it comes down to him not having any really big hits. apart from across 110th street, which was made more popular because of Tarantino's Jackie Brown, to the general public. its a shame because in the last 5 years or so, he was having a rebirth with various modern artists. his catalogue of recordings are vast. but i really don't think it matters how commercial successful he was.