Why become a member? ×

"it might get loud"

FuNkShUi

Put this on to watch last night and it was really enjoyable.
Jack White, the Edge and Jimmi Page talking about what got them into the guitar, and what they were thinking when trying to get certain sounds in their records etc.
I didnt have much interest in Jack White before this. Just thought it was kind of a gimmicky pop act when he was with the White Stripes.
He's actually a really talented blues guitarist, and has a really good blues voice. Like the oldest type of blues.
His favorite ever song, which he compared the sound he was trying to get, was a "Son House" song called "grinning in your face". Suddenly everything made more sense!
Brilliant interview with Jimmi Page was shown , from when he was in school. He was playing in a skiffle band on tv and afterwards the presenter asked him if he wanted to carry on being a skiffle player, when he got older. "no sir, i want to be a biological scientist". Brilliant.
Anyone see it?
Highly recommended.

I was really impressed. I thought his playing and singing was really tasteful.
Maybe i was more impressed because i originally thought he was awful?!
Im not on about when he was using that red plastic thing though!!haha.
Cant remember the particular song, but he was singing and playing it to the other two.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1403853298' post='2487017']
Put this on to watch last night and it was really enjoyable.
Jack White, the Edge and Jimmi Page talking about what got them into the guitar, and what they were thinking when trying to get certain sounds in their records etc.
I didnt have much interest in Jack White before this. Just thought it was kind of a gimmicky pop act when he was with the White Stripes.
He's actually a really talented blues guitarist, and has a really good blues voice. Like the oldest type of blues.
His favorite ever song, which he compared the sound he was trying to get, was a "Son House" song called "grinning in your face". Suddenly everything made more sense!
Brilliant interview with Jimmi Page was shown , from when he was in school. He was playing in a skiffle band on tv and afterwards the presenter asked him if he wanted to carry on being a skiffle player, when he got older. "no sir, i want to be a biological scientist". Brilliant.
Anyone see it?
Highly recommended.
[/quote]

I saw it a while back and really enjoyed, great viewing, would be fun if they did something similar with three top bass players :)

John

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1403872136' post='2487295']
Jack White is imo the modern day guitar hero. The guy is unbelievably talented and is very passionate about what he does.
[/quote]

100% some of the White Stripes stuff is genius, a lot of people comment after hearing a couple of singles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTXuPydruvk

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1403888768' post='2487488']a lot of people comment after hearing a couple of singles.

[/quote]

I should qualify that I like Jack White, have seen him live a couple of times and own a load of his records. I still don't think he's that great a blues guitarist and he can't solo for sh*t.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1403889152' post='2487491']
I should qualify that I like Jack White, have seen him live a couple of times and own a load of his records. I still don't think he's that great a blues guitarist and he can't solo for sh*t.
[/quote]

Hmmm... I think that, through the White Stripes, Jack White has been the true standard bearer for the blues in our times. IMO the ability to 'solo' has little or nothing to do with the blues. I'd far rather hear Mr White's offerings than any amount of widdly soloing, whether from the likes of Joe Bonamassa or from guys in pub bands.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1403890231' post='2487503']
Hmmm... I think that, through the White Stripes, Jack White has been the true standard bearer for the blues in our times. IMO the ability to 'solo' has little or nothing to do with the blues. I'd far rather hear Mr White's offerings than any amount of widdly soloing, whether from the likes of Joe Bonamassa or from guys in pub bands.
[/quote]

I really enjoy solos that are good and instil emotion. Bonamassa I'm sad to say did not make me feel anything but boredom live. I'm not of the opinion that all blues must have solos far from it. I play a lot of blues with a lot of guys and a few of them are absolutely superb and do very special things. You might think they are just widdling though :)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1403890693' post='2487509']
loved this program, hated the parts with the edge, although it is funny when he gets lost in his effects board!

jack and jimmy are the stars of that show!

[/quote]

Couldnt agree more.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1403946314' post='2487891']
I'd say this is my favourite Jack White bit.
I don't give a f*** how good a blues player or soloist he is. This is a tune and that's all that matters!
[media]http://youtu.be/Q7aOWIFgIZQ[/media]
[/quote]

Indeed, I'm a big Brendon Benson fan too.

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1403872136' post='2487295']
Jack White is imo the modern day guitar hero. The guy is unbelievably talented and is very passionate about what he does.
[/quote]

Still looks to me as if that young man needs a damm good wash. No matter of how good/bad a guitar player he is. :)[size=4] [/size]