Why become a member? ×

Learning 'Little Shop Of Horrors'

AndyTravis

So, I'm a TA at an Academy/Secondary school.

They're doing the Little Shop Of Horrors this summer.

Last night at a staff meeting, there was a mutter of "ask Andy, he plays bass..."

I agreed to play bass - none of the kids currently do, but having just had a fleet of basses turn up I'm sure an after school club will change it.

Just realised I've only seen the film once about ten years ago.

Got my score in front of me (my sight reading is less than adequate) and Spotify on. P-Bass in hand.

It's really good fun, plenty to play - love show tunes.

Has anyone else done this show?

I've done few school productions now and Little Shop is my favourite. The bass on the film soundtrack is really good fun to play I found. We are doing it at my new place next February.

I try to listen to the songs plenty for a good 2-3 weeks before even picking up my bass. For me it seems easier to learn them that way when I finally get the score in front of me. I feel like im playing the song rather than just playing the notes from the score.

I found that my Jazz suited the songs better than my P bass but of course thats all personal taste! Have fun and enjoy!

That sounds great fun. I love that film score, my kids loved the film and played it over and over.

I had a soft spot for Audrey, the girl not the plant. :)

....and this scene is enough to put you off dentists for life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB7R0ZxNgC4

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Nice one I did this at college 10-11 years ago and I think we did 6 performances of it over 2-3 days. Very fun bass lines, my favourite was/is Feed Me and also Dadoo Reprise was really fun. It took me a while to get my head around Mushnick and Son but again really fun to play!

I did the Broadway version 2 weeks ago.
No rehearsals until the day of the first show.
Went ok actually!

MD made a few changes so plenty of pencil marks on my music.

We played the 'LSOH' tune as the 'outro' to the end of the 1st half and end of the show and each day, played the end of the show version in a different style.
We did Latin on the Sat and reggae on the sun. Bit daft, but fun nonetheless.

[quote name='Allie' timestamp='1403682687' post='2485152']
Hope it didn't hurt too much - you [u][b]seem[/b][/u] to have come out ok though :lol: ;)

Al
[/quote]

I admit that was a slight exaggeration... sadly all that teaching hasn't improved my playing much :|

Hiya, I've totally neglected this and I'm running out of time, has anyone got a non staff notation version, like tab?

I've worked the majority out by ear but would like something as a reference.

Learning 20 tunes for this, and a new covers set may have been a stupid idea to agree to.

Regards

Andy

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1403684026' post='2485166']
Suppertime is great!
[/quote]

Oh yes! I have been trying to find out who played on the OST for years... anyone know who it was? Great bass tone... a bit Stingray-like maybe?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1404329744' post='2491697']
Hiya, I've totally neglected this and I'm running out of time, has anyone got a non staff notation version, like tab?

I've worked the majority out by ear but would like something as a reference.

Learning 20 tunes for this, and a new covers set may have been a stupid idea to agree to.

Regards

Andy
[/quote]

I haven't sorry mate :(