Why become a member? ×

fancy a laugh at my expense?

So we agreed to a charity gig, it was last night so a sunday, fail 1, miles away, fail 2, meant to be a marquee on site, massive fail 3. Even with a huge field at a football club we ended up on a slope next to the changing rooms where we couldnt be seen, no one was interested in a live band and clearly planned to go home as soon as the match finished regardless of how good or bad we were going to be, utter waste of my sunday night.

I have agreed to a charity gig in september that is indoor and local but it will be my last ever im affraid no matter how good a cause it is, I know other musicians who have the same policy but I have been lucky to only do a few each year really, this was my worst gig ever.

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140622_183544_zpswrv3yd3y.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140622_183544_zpswrv3yd3y.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I cant see how anyone could have made a good job of it?

Can't blame you for trying to do a decent thing but maybe the organisers would have
thought about it a bit more if you had charged them something..
I am getting the idea that they maybe didn't respect your effort much which makes it a bit galling.

We tend to take a stance that maybe appear to be arrogant to a degree..?? but it is something
like, we aren't 'amateurs' so don't treat us as such. This is why we try and sound them out with
what they are providing.
Something that sorts the men from the boys is Beer festival P.A's, for example. If we spec that and they
agree, then we know they have done their homework...
Stage size, etc etc ... if events want everything free, then alarms bells tend to ring...sorry to say.

Oh Pete! At least you see the funny side. I've played a really good gig for charity in the past (one of the busiest liveliest gigs I've played in the past 4 years or so) but yep, some charity events are basically so much work for no one to even take any notice or actually raise money.

I tend to do a lot of work related charity events so that is now enough for me....only got so much time in life! Saying that, if its a well organised good cause, I'd play it if it meant I'd have a good time and maybe just cover fuel, etc.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1403550859' post='2483848']
Can't blame you for trying to do a decent thing but maybe the organisers would have
thought about it a bit more if you had charged them something..
I am getting the idea that they maybe didn't respect your effort much which makes it a bit galling.

We tend to take a stance that maybe appear to be arrogant to a degree..?? but it is something
like, we aren't 'amateurs' so don't treat us as such. This is why we try and sound them out with
what they are providing.
Something that sorts the men from the boys is Beer festival P.A's, for example. If we spec that and they
agree, then we know they have done their homework...
Stage size, etc etc ... if events want everything free, then alarms bells tend to ring...sorry to say.
[/quote]
It was a proper home made effort which we knew to be fair but how hard is it to at least find a flat bit of ground and two extension reels? Some charity gigs I have done have been arranged by people I know that provide and mix the pa, very good engineers with great gear those are possibly still worth doing but even then often the gig is poorly attended or it rains.

Ive done some charity gigs which have been fantastic fun, and some that have not, but arguably there was a decent amount of money raised, so I suppose thats fine, as I thats why we agree to help

So I guess the question is, did they raise a decent amount to make your effort worthwhile, by the look of the tarpaulins, I think I know the answer, but I hope I'm wrong?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1403551259' post='2483854']
PS - Does that say Sue Ryder? Basschat have already raised a lot for them by buying ALL of their old bass stock.
[/quote]
It was the first thing I thought, well second after wtf! Actually third because second was "what the f*** is that horse doing roaming around!".
[quote name='ead' timestamp='1403551699' post='2483864']
Great charity Sue Ryder, I do stuff for them in my spare time. Well done for trying.
[/quote] yep im not saying the charity is bad and the organisers were trying their best too.
[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1403551912' post='2483867']
Ive done some charity gigs which have been fantastic fun, and some that have not, but arguably there was a decent amount of money raised, so I suppose thats fine, as I thats why we agree to help

So I guess the question is, did they raise a decent amount to make your effort worthwhile, by the look of the tarpaulins, I think I know the answer, but I hope I'm wrong?
[/quote] £250 I think.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403552496' post='2483879']
Crazy how cheap our gear looks under the ghetto tent, there is a few quids worth there, the Jobeky drum kit and control modules alone are worth a fortune yet it all looks like crap from a jumble sale because of the shack, my lighting rig never left the van....
[/quote]

lol Pete, I feel for you. I'd chalk that one down to experience.

Not important, I know, but to me it actually looked expensive from left to right. I knew of the Ray of course, but still. FIrst glimpse of the drum set and your Genz (long before I saw what it was), and I was like "That looks expensive", and this was long before you wrote about how it looked cheap. So: no!

...except for the furnace that is.
A tiny furnace with a short, thin chimney like that will never generate enough convection or draught. Should be illegal.
Hope you kept warm enough though. :P :D

Edited by BassTractor