Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Vanessa Collier.  I thought blues were more less or boring; meaningful if you happen to be deeply disenfranchised and black, but otherwise unchallenging and somewhat robotic music for the musically uninspired if you're not. As blues maestro Dave Thomas once said to me when we met in  a music shop while I was buying my first bass "Play blues mate... it can be subtle but mostly it's easy, which is what you want". 

Then  I happened across La Collier and I've been hooked ever since. Visceral, exciting, a tight band and she herself can play alto and tenor sax, sing and play steel guitar. I might actually be interested in blues for the first time in 12 years since taking it up.   Check this out, especially the last half of the video

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

back in the day their live shows were an experience apparently. Despite buying tickets for several shows over the years I never got to see them headline their own show as something always happened... Still guts me today to think about it...

Live in Newport, south Wales in 1987

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

Butthole Surfers are great.

Love 'em!

Saw them a few times - most memorable was at the Mean Fiddler in 1988ish... Gabby was covered in blood after being hit by a glass, then he set himself on fire (as you do) as the band played on. And meanwhile, there was a riot outside due to the amount of folks trying to get in without tickets. Worrying and still excellent!

• Like 2