Why become a member? ×

ADVICE ON CLASS D HEADS AND CAB CHOICES

doc40hz

I've recently completely changed my bass rig - lugging my big 40kg trace combo up and down the stairs was getting a bit much!

I've got Trace Elliot 1028H (2x10 400watt) and 1518C (1x15 300watt) cabs, both at 8ohms.

I acquired an orange terror 500 as a part trade for my Trace Combo and it sounds awesome - will defo work well on rock/punk/indie cover gigs that I do.

However, I also play more funky/soul gigs where I need a clean slap tone.

Decent preamp pedals/di boxes are 200-350 quid, and I figure for that money I should probably buy a second amp so I've got a back up head and tonal options.

The EBS Reidmar caught my eye. Just a couple of questions:

1. Will running the EBS Reidmar into my full cab setup be sensible? Is "underpowering" bass cabs just a myth or is it advised against.
2. Anyone have any other suggestions for a similar price range; the EBS is nice with the semiparametric EQ, compressor and apparantly has stacks of volume The TC450 looks nice too.

Thanks guys

Past experiences with that gear would make me lean to the TC. I didn't like the Reidmar i had, too muddy and the top end was harsh (even with mild settings).

Search the FS section, lots of great class-D amps there with a "cleaner" sound and at good prices.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1403019116' post='2478908']
I'd suggest that you also check out the Gallien-Krueger MB500.
[/quote]

Yep, or even the Fusion version. You can still coax the famed GK snap from it, but it also can do a far warmer sound as well.

As far as a head goes, I like using the TC Electronic RH450 head. It works well with the BC410 cab. The BC410 cab may be a bit much to carry up, and down stairs at @ 59 pounds.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/23HIyYB.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass

I have the GKMB500 and I use it for soul, pop, country, blues, rockabilly. It comes with a footswitchable bass boost, so you can easily shift between clean and motown-y tones without even having to fiddle with the head between songs.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1403017000' post='2478886']
Yep, plenty of micro heads popping up used, just buy 'em, try 'em, sell 'em on if you don't like 'em - you won't lose much doing that.
[/quote]

Yeah thats what I do, only I'm a not so good at the selling part :unsure:

I currently own:
RH450
Shuttle 6
Promethean
Puma 900

If you'd be willing to share, I would be really interested to hear how those amps compare, and which you use for different situations.

Cheers,
Paul

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1403374913' post='2482247']

Yeah thats what I do, only I'm a not so good at the selling part :unsure:

I currently own:
RH450
Shuttle 6
Promethean
Puma 900
[/quote]

[quote name='doc40hz' timestamp='1403011852' post='2478823']However, I also play more funky/soul gigs where I need a clean slap tone.[/quote]

Are you serious?

My friend had OBT and 2 SP212 for a 2-3 years maybe,and we tested that amp with few basses (Lakland P and J,Warwick Streamer 84'),and his slap tone couldn't been better. We even didn't test the EQ range,we just put everything on 12'o clock. I think you should change bass and cab.

His rig:
[url="http://imagizer.imageshack.us/scaled/landing/202/orange1t.jpg"]http://imagizer.imag...02/orange1t.jpg[/url]

Edited by LifeBomb

Doc, I'd suggest Soul and Funk isn't a sound but a feel. Play the right lines and it doesn't matter what tone you're using.

Just use what you've got. But [i]I'd[/i] add another 210.

Edited by chris_b