Why become a member? ×

NBD - Limelight '63 Jazz medium relic

wateroftyne

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403605177' post='2484301']
I'm confused... (it doesn't take much, I realise!).

Is that a Fender, relicked by Limelight or a Limelight J bass with a snidey Fender decal? If it is the latter, isn't that a tiny bit naughty?
[/quote]

It's the latter, but definitely not "Snidey". He's not trying to make anyone believe that it's actually a Fender bass.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403605177' post='2484301']
I'm confused... (it doesn't take much, I realise!).

Is that a Fender, relicked by Limelight or a Limelight J bass with a snidey Fender decal? If it is the latter, isn't that a tiny bit naughty?
[/quote]

It's the latter, and... probably. It's a great bass though, so I'm not going to grumble.

FWIW, they have a geet big 'Limelight' scribble and serial number on the back of the headstock, which the previous owner of this bass seems to have removed. If it were mine, I'd have left it on there.

Also, I have no idea what's under the pickguard or in the neck pocket. Maybe there's something else under there.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1403616003' post='2484517']
Hey Wot, did you have the JO flats you used here anyway as I've just been looking at the Lakland website and it seems they just sell GHS Precision Flats now. Normal gauge. Shame as I wanted to try the custom JO gauge at some point.
[/quote]

Gah! You're right... I wonder what the story is there?

Maybe they're just GHS Precision flats in disguise anyway? I shall find out... I hope they haven't changed.

Luckily I have a stockpile...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403620866' post='2484603']

Gah! You're right... I wonder what the story is there?

Maybe they're just GHS Precision flats in disguise anyway? I shall find out... I hope they haven't changed.

Luckily I have a stockpile...
[/quote]

I seem to remember from somewhere that they are/were GHS flats, just in a custom gauge (100-40?)
No bad thing if they are as I have GHS P flats on my hollowbody and they are fantastic, love them (long/light gauge 95-45 which on paper looks a bit odd but they are perfectly balanced and very easy to play - only $24.65 at bassstringsonline.com too! ;))

Edit: thinking about it, it's probably because JO has jumped ship and joined Dan Lakin on his new venture (new JO sig Jbass)
Well done stockpiling a few sets BTW!:)

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403637365' post='2484850']

FEDEX ARE BRINGING IT TOMORROW!!!! :D :D :D WOOT!!!!
[/quote]

I look forward to the review/NBD thread :-)

I hope you don't have a sonic blue and tort 8 string?!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403637860' post='2484864']
I look forward to the review/NBD thread...
[/quote]

There's already a NBD thread with pics that Mark sent. I'll take my own pics and post them as well. But I'm ordering a Spitfire pickguard from the US so I might wait until that's arrived first. I'll definitely do a review with sound files, though.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403637860' post='2484864']
I hope you don't have a sonic blue and tort 8 string?!
[/quote]

That would be against the law as you well know!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403638690' post='2484873']
There's already a NBD thread with pics that Mark sent. I'll take my own pics and post them as well. But I'm ordering a Spitfire pickguard from the US so I might wait until that's arrived first. I'll definitely do a review with sound files, though.

That would be against the law as you well know!
[/quote]

Nice! So what you gone for then Mr Discreet?

Also Skej when's your P due? Can't be long now?!

Edited by JamesBass

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1403642529' post='2484935']

Also Skej when's your P due? Can't be long now?!
[/quote]

Mark initially said end of June but just as an approx date but due to a bit of time away and another build taking a bit longer than expected he asked if he could move the date back a little (after asking me if that was ok :-)) to 'early July'... I am in no rush as I've got two basses to cover gig easily and I'd rather he took his time and did it properly than rush to finish it. Not too long either way :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403642919' post='2484939']
Mark initially said end of June but just as an approx date but due to a bit of time away and another build taking a bit longer than expected he asked if he could move the date back a little (after asking me if that was ok :-)) to 'early July'... I am in no rush as I've got two basses to cover gig easily and I'd rather he took his time and did it properly than rush to finish it. Not too long either way :-)
[/quote]
Must be itching to get yours! But props to Mark for good communication and wanting to do a job properly!

I'm itching like mad to get mine ordered but alas finances look bleak for the foreseeable future :(

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1403620105' post='2484587']
He's not trying to make anyone believe that it's actually a Fender bass.
[/quote]

Apart from the Fender decal on the headstock! :lol:

Don't get me wrong - I'm not particularly bothered, and they mostly look fantastic (especially that Burgundy Mist J on the website! :gas: ). I just find it a bit odd that people are turning a blind eye to the fact that they are (to a certain extent) leading people to believe that they are Fenders. Not many audience members (or even fellow bass players) look at the [i][b]back[/b][/i] of the headstock...

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1403642529' post='2484935']
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238397-nbd-limelight-fender-jazz-1960-yob/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238397-nbd-limelight-fender-jazz-1960-yob/[/url]

I'm practically camped out by the front door. Delivery day!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403681347' post='2485137']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238397-nbd-limelight-fender-jazz-1960-yob/"]http://basschat.co.u...-jazz-1960-yob/[/url]

I'm practically camped out by the front door. Delivery day!!
[/quote]
I'm not a Jazz bass man at all, but my word does that look exquisite and dare I say, makes me want to play one of Mark's Jazzes!

I'd be camped there too, TV moved with kettle and bottle of water to top it up with right next to me as well!

With all this ill feeling about Antigua, it's only the olive component that does the damage. Remove that to leave a greyburst (as Alleva Coppolo do) and you get

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Alleva%20Coppolo%20KBP5%202009%20CURRENT/DSCF3841.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Alleva%20Coppolo%20KBP5%202009%20CURRENT/DSCF3841.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Now me, I'm struggling to associate that with picking my nose at any time.

B)