Why become a member? ×

NBD - Limelight '63 Jazz medium relic

wateroftyne

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403682757' post='2485153']
Wumphhh. "What was that". The plot legging it from this thread, again. WOT 'll be after yous!
[/quote]

Topics... they're too inhibiting. I see each thread as a potential stream of consciousness, man.
In any case, it wasn't me this time! :P[size=4] :D[/size]

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1403515700' post='2483334']
Back on topic briefly, I wonder if Limelight would be willing and able to make me a reliced "vintage" 5 string Pbass?
[/quote]
For the sake of my bank balance, I sincerely hope not. A mild relic "'65 Jazz" fiver would simply have to be mine. No question.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403689424' post='2485236']
But what about this? Hmmm? Eh?

:lol:
[/quote]

I also looked forward to your reports Michael! (And the video/sound samples were excellent and thorough!)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403689424' post='2485236']

[/quote]

:D I could very happily look at that all day. In fact I'm going to - until mine arrives!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403689450' post='2485237']
Seriously, I'm looking forward to the reports, Discreet...
[/quote]

I promise to post full details - in [i]my[/i] NBD thread, don't worry... :D

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1403683004' post='2485156']
You're missing the point.

Why bring it up then?
[/quote]

What point am I missing exactly? Please clarify.

And I brought it up because this is a bass forum where people discuss subjects relating to bass. Is that OK? :rolleyes:

Some people get on their high horses about "fake" vintage Fenders on sites like Ebay and Gumtree - whereas on this thread some of those same people seem to have no problem with a range of basses that are trying very hard to look like vintage Fenders, but aren't. I think there is a bit of irony there. Maybe you don't - but that's cool.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403690046' post='2485247']
Some people get on their high horses about "fake" vintage Fenders on sites like Ebay and Gumtree - whereas on this thread some of those same people seem to have no problem with a range of basses that are trying very hard to look like vintage Fenders, but aren't. I think there is a bit of irony there. Maybe you don't - but that's cool.
[/quote]

You're quite right - there are a lot of fakes about, and selling them as legit is a bad thing.

Thankfully, none of that is going on here.

Some people get on their high horses about "fake" vintage Fenders on sites like Ebay and Gumtree - whereas on this thread some of those same people seem to have no problem with a range of basses that are trying very hard to look like vintage Fenders, but aren't.
[/quote]

It's about the difference between enjoying a replica of a bass that would be prohibitively expensive for most people, and selling a bass as an original instrument with the intention to deceive - I think. There's nothing illegal about having an F decal on a bass that's not an F - unless you try to sell it as such. Perhaps a new thread should be started about this subject? I feel like I've gone OT in this thread far too often already!

Edited by discreet

And I brought it up because this is a bass forum where people discuss subjects relating to bass. Is that OK? :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I think the point you're missing is that a New Bass Day thread for a specific member's bass isn't the place for this (recycled and dull) 'discussion'.

Maybe start a new thread elsewhere, away from all the people who ARE interested in this kind of thing? Unless you've come here with the intention of trying to goad people into an argument? Either way, I dont think this is this place for it. It's just detracted away from the discussion about Michael's lovely new bass :-)

Edited by skej21

[/quote]

I would say the main point, by focusing on that detail.

It's about the quality and sound of the instrument. Mark's blatantly not trying to make standard or cheap copies of old Fenders, just quality, hand-made instruments that allow people to have the sound and feel of a vintage bass, without risking losing something with value equivalent to a small house every time they take it to a gig!...The fact that the Fender decal is on the head stock is neither here nor there, and to the vast majority of people it won't mean a thing. It definitely contributes to the look but it's the sound of these things that matters, and that's one of the main reasons why people here are buying them!

And sorry everyone else, I'm leaving it there! Discreet and WoT, your basses are beautiful, and I am incredibly envious! :gas:

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403690402' post='2485258']
I think the point you're missing is that a New Bass Day thread for a specific member's bass isn't the place for this (recycled and dull) 'discussion'. Unless you've come here with the intention of trying to goad people into an argument? It's just detracted away from the discussion about Michael's lovely new bass :-)
[/quote]

Oh right. Fair enough. I don't find it dull, even if it has been discussed before (but then again, what hasn't? :) ).

No intention on my part of starting an argument. You don't know me very well if you even suggest that! :( Your tone is far more "argumentative" than mine! Just genuinely interested in these instruments and why people would buy them - myself included!

And yes, Michael's bass is indeed lovely. I never said it wasn't! :rolleyes:

Some people are so touchy! But OK, I will keep my opinions on this to myself :(

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403693308' post='2485310']

It's an interesting subject. Maybe start a new Topic? :)
[/quote]

Which is what I suggested. I never got 'touchy' or told people to keep their opinions under lock and key. I just don't think it's fair to derail michaels thread with stuff that's already been discussed to death...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403911575' post='2487761']
Well, I'm two gigs into a three-one-the-trot run, and I LOVE THIS THING.

Lots of comments from band-mates and punters about its tone and looks. And the best bit is: the world hasn't ended because it has a Fender logo on it.

Happy days, man...
[/quote]

Sweet!! Happy days indeed! The more I play mine the better it seems to get! :)

Glad you're enjoying yours so much, too!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403911575' post='2487761']
And the best bit is: the world hasn't ended because it has a Fender logo on it
[/quote]

The world hasn't ended?! They lied to us!! (That TKS cab is LARVELY by the way ;-))

I don't like playing jazz basses but periodically have to buy one cos I just love the look of them and also the thought of all the amazing songs played on them...

your bass sir is giving me gas again darn you to heck :gas:

:)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1403941612' post='2487847']
I don't like playing jazz basses but periodically have to buy one cos I just love the look of them and also the thought of all the amazing songs played on them...
[/quote]

The 40mm neck on this one helps a lot - it feels just like my P, if only a little bit shallower.

The neck pup has an amazing boom and growl to it, too :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403941973' post='2487849']

The 40mm neck on this one helps a lot - it feels just like my P, if only a little bit shallower.

The neck pup has an amazing boom and growl to it, too :)
[/quote]

it is mainly rhe spindly faffy little necks that I dislike, my perfect j would have a p neck on it...my gas is worsening you menace :)