Why become a member? ×

Strings!

[quote name='silddx' post='243851' date='Jul 20 2008, 03:45 PM']I get most of my strings from the States via ebay. Much cheaper than buying them here.[/quote]
+1 on that. I'm currently using D'Addario nickels which are ok, but not brilliant. I find a lot of stainless strings a bit rough to the touch, but I might swap back.

I have tried quite a few brands, Tomastik, Elites, Rotosounds (really dont get the appeal), Elixir, DR, and I Just keep coming back to good old Ernieballs. I cant fault them, I try new brands and think "these are really good" then whack some slinkys on the bass and im back home again. Elites were about the only other set i liked but even then they just are not "me".

I used extra slinkys on the four string when I had it but now use, Super Slinky 5 string set which are: 40, 60, 75, 95, 125 on my Roscoe Beck, and am about to put the same on my warwick as i am not getting on with the black labels.

Ace strings and the best for me so far.

iv just fitted elixir 'nanoweb' coated strings 45-130tw to my stingray

they seem fantastic, very well balanced punchy tone, and despite being coated sound very zingy and from what iv read they stay this way for quite a while before the tone dullens. they are probably the best strings iv ever used out of the box, now lets see how long this great tone lasts :)

D'Addario make strings for 35" instruments. Extra long scale... they have also bought out flatwounds in this lenght, which would be cool but the set is an 100 E and I want 105.

um, I like D'Addario Chromes on my P and Fretless.
L'Bella on the Steinberger, Bootzillas on the Jazz, DR Longnecks on the 5.

Chromes take a month (maybe) to settle in. It's all smooth goodness.

status hotwire round core 45 - 65 -85 - 105
£16.13 and flipping amazing.
sound good
feel quality

I have some ashdown wideboys on my warwick at the moment which i found in shop that was soundcontrol at 2 tins for £10- they arnt as good.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='248063' date='Jul 25 2008, 07:02 PM']I couldn't get on with the TI Jazz Flats I put on my fretless. They sounded great, but the low tension freaked me out. Back to good 'ol La Bella 760FLs.[/quote]

Hi,
I've wanted to try TIs and La Bellas for a while, currently use GHS flats on my jazz bass.
I don't mind low tension and I like a deep smooth sound and very smooth heavy gauge flats for dub reggae.
I've tried rotosound 77 flats, but they're not smooth enough for me, too rich sounding and hard on the fingers.
I'm probably buying a Hofner Steinberger copy and will need to replace the roundwound strings.
Which do you think would best suit my sound?
Do you still have the TIs and if so do you want to sell them?
Thanks.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='247043' date='Jul 24 2008, 05:00 PM']I think this is the first strings thread I've seen where 90% of the replies didn't say TI Jazz Flats.[/quote]

TI Jazz Flats. Hand rolled between the thighs of Austrian virgins.

Used to use Hi-beams but they are a bit restrictive due to price. They last and stay pretty bright but it's still all down to cleaning right after playing and not leaving your bass out of the case at home or in the studio. You can kill a set of strings by leaving the bass out for a month even if you don't play it. I now use Elites on the 4 (good value for money IMO) and exposed core F bass on the 5.