Why become a member? ×

when a tone pot dies?

cocco

Sounds like a great song title - when a tone pot dies...

Anywhere and all points in between (intentional pun). Several failure modes possible: full rotation - the metal 'stop' had sheared off: Metal rotary contact has broken - fatigue fracture: Tracks have lifted / worn through - low probability. Following on from JapanAxe's lead, we will have to define the various failure modes to state the possible subsequent state of the pot at failure. However with a pot being £0.50 to £4.50 why are we worrying. Replace and move on (unless it is something exotic with corresponding price).

Edited by 3below

Nah, it's an early Ibanez blazer, I don't do exotic lol, the pot still turns like it should, just doesn't affect the sound at all. If it was stuck full on fo sho I wouldn't bother replacing it because I dont really use it anyway. But now I have to :(

Be bold, just disconnect it. I am building (overstating here) a bitsa Peavey USA bass. I intend to have no volume and no tone control. Will have 3 way switch and blend pot. I just seem to use all my basses full vol and tone. Be bold :) Early Ibanez Blazer - great bass every bit the match for USA stuff at the time (I am of that age).

Edited by 3below

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402434888' post='2473566']
Mods! Mods! Arrest that man!
[/quote]

Too late, the deed is done - and by covert stealth has been done with every bass I have owned and played in 40+ years. The secret is..... rotate all controls fully to ON :)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1402431209' post='2473513']Sounds like a great song title - when a tone pot dies......[/quote]

[i]When a tone pot dies[/i]
[i]It's just too worn[/i]
[i]There's no surprise[/i]
[i]Don't be forlorn[/i]

[i]When a tone pot dies[/i]
[i]It ain't just gorn[/i]
[i]Just realise[/i]
[i]A Star is born[/i]

© Dad3353, 2014 All rights reserved