Why become a member? ×

PMT Southend-On-Sea charging £10 for a used cardboard box

peted

I'm selling a bass in the Classifieds section and I've found a buyer. Thought maybe that I could be a *little* cheeky and see if my only local music store has a spare cardboard box that I can pinch to ship it in. Phoned them this morning and the Manager said that they would only sell me one of the boxes they use for their online shipping for £10. I thought this was a bit steep, but then considered that it might be a pretty awesome box with all the proper packaging and everything.

So I turn up at the store and they are trying to sell me an oversized, used, Taylor acoustic box with insufficient packaging for £10. The Manager wouldn't budge on the price, I offered to buy a full-price set of bass strings and put £3 on top, but no sale. The member of staff said that they normally have more boxes but they'd just taken them down the tip that week. I asked if they were just going to send them to the tip, why I can't buy the box off of them for £3? The Manager said that he has to pay for the box to be shipped to him, so I should have to pay too if I want to sell my bass.

I know it is a little cheeky in that the theory is that I'm competition to them by trying to sell my bass, but my NVQ3 in Customer Service is screaming that if he gives me the cardboard box to sell my bass, I might actually spend the proceeds in his shop one day.

Rant over. Please move on. :)

Ten quid for a cardboard box? Music shops fling thousands of these things in the bin every day - go to a different shop. And how, in any sane world, are you competition to them? In what way has your private sale on BC demonstrably deprived them of a customer?

In my experience guitar boxes are usually pretty flimsy, when I've used these I've always felt I needed to add more reinforcement anyway.

Go to your local Lidl & grab 4 of the flat, open boxes they have fruit & veg in, get a hot-melt glue gun & stick them together to make a bomb-proof bass/guitar box. Pack it out with newspaper & cover the holes with gaffa tape, bubble-wrap the bass, neck removed if it's bolt-on.

Jon.

The manager seems a bit of a pr*ck IMHO! Wonder if the tenner would have gone through the till :)

As you say, he isn't offering you a brand new piece of packaging specifically ordered in for you to ship your bass in. They no doubt have to pay to have the cardboard taken away so you are doing them a favour. I have to confess that my local Sound Control (RIP) happily sorted me a box out, to the point that they went out to the bins to retrieve the best one. Soundslive also supplied me with a heavy duty box in order that I could ship a bass Internationally, I did buy a case from them but that was neither here nor there as I'd already asked if they had a box I could have.

I've just moved back to Southend after spending about 9 years in Norwich. As I grew up here I spent loads of time in PMT and bought a couple of basses, my first amp, and loads of strings in my time. The customer service used to be superb. I guess now that Honky Tonks music has closed they don't have any direct local competition. I won't be doing business with the Manager of that store again, I've dealt with the Sales Staff and they've been much better, but they don't seem to be authorised to sell cardboard boxes from their rubbish themselves :)

Regarding the now closed Honky Tonks: Every knew that you only went in there to buy your first instrument if you knew nothing. After that you bought everything else from PMT :huh:

[quote]Sounds familiar... One of the music stores near me charges £5 to fit a violin string. Usually the string is around £1 !!!!!! I tell pupils & parents to tell them that, "Dick Turpin" wore a mask. I'll put the string on for nothing[/quote]

One of my local shops gave me a box for nowt when I needed a bass shipping. But before we all start applauding, the same shop charged me £5 for fitting strings when I took my bass back for the free set up they advertised when I bought it. The set up wasn't even that good.

[quote name='peted' post='243458' date='Jul 19 2008, 06:41 PM']I've just moved back to Southend after spending about 9 years in Norwich. As I grew up here I spent loads of time in PMT and bought a couple of basses, my first amp, and loads of strings in my time. The customer service used to be superb. I guess now that Honky Tonks music has closed they don't have any direct local competition. I won't be doing business with the Manager of that store again, I've dealt with the Sales Staff and they've been much better, but they don't seem to be authorised to sell cardboard boxes from their rubbish themselves :)

Regarding the now closed Honky Tonks: Every knew that you only went in there to buy your first instrument if you knew nothing. After that you bought everything else from PMT :huh:[/quote]

I grew up in God's golden acre and spent many an afternoon in Honky Tonk, browsing the racks. Monkey Business came along and blew them into the weeds though and they never recovered.

IIRC, Monkey Business started in Romford, Essex and was connected in some way to the Trace Elliot organization, I think via a guy called Alan Morgan...? Having a shop in town that stocked Trace Elliot and Jaydee was a dream!!!

Edited by woodster

[quote name='peted' post='243403' date='Jul 19 2008, 04:16 PM']my NVQ3 in Customer Service is screaming that if he gives me the cardboard box to sell my bass, I might actually spend the proceeds in his shop one day.[/quote]Whereas now your money will be spent elsewhere, and all he's left with is a cardboard box and a riot of bad publicity. What a clown.

[quote name='Ray' post='245329' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:20 PM']Customer service at PMT is non-existant in my experience. They are complete tw@ts, IMO of course.[/quote]

On the other hand I used PMT in Northampton to get my lad his electic drum kit and I was very impressed with their service (and the price was OK too).

[quote name='Gamble' post='243520' date='Jul 19 2008, 10:08 PM']I've got a box in my loft you can have if you're coming this way anytime soon Pete, 'cos you're a mate you can have it for a fiver.[/quote]
I think you may have misunderstood the meaning of "cheap at half the price"! :)

[size=4][size=3]What was the name of the shop. you need to name and shame so no one on here will use the shop. SOunds like the guy was just taking the P1ss. I would have been sorely tempted to shove a box where the sun don't sine[/size][/size]

Edited by ianrunci

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='245348' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:33 PM']On the other hand I used PMT in Northampton to get my lad his electic drum kit and I was very impressed with their service (and the price was OK too).[/quote]
I have had great customer service in PMT in the past. Many moons ago (10+ years), when I lived in Southend, I went into the PMT there a lot and the service was great. The staff knew me from playing in local bands and they were very helpful and the gear was reasonably priced. I bought my Ibanez from PMT in Romford a couple of years ago and again had great service from that store (the member of staff who served me was actually transferred for the day from the Southend store).

I think my gripe was mainly with the Manager which I dealt with this time. I'm sure he has the right mind-set for maximising profit and keeping his business in the black, but he shouldn't be allowed near customers.