Why become a member? ×

Jeff Beck

Bilbo

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1400958676' post='2458643']
To me, he's one of the best and original guitarists the UK has ever spawned. He was always (IMO) more innovative than Page or Clapton whilst in the Yardbirds.
[/quote]
I'm of the opinion that JB is a superior guitarist than either Page or Clapton...but his musical output is, ahem, not a patch......

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1400962434' post='2458695']

I'm of the opinion that JB is a superior guitarist than either Page or Clapton...but his musical output is, ahem, not a patch......
[/quote]

When you say "output" do you mean in terms of quantity or quality?

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1401011582' post='2458992']
Quality. For example, consider the significance of the impact that Led Zeppelin have had on contemporary music.
[/quote]

I get where you're coming from as Led Zep have certainly influenced many others but "quality" is subjective (back to what the individual likes or dislikes) For me, Led Zep have never really gone out on a limb to break new ground and I think none of them, as individuals, would have had anywhere near the success they achieved as part of that band. I'm not denying their success, songwriting or musical ability in any way, it's just that Jeff Beck has always been sited as top dog by many of his peers.

There was a time when Gary Moore was trying really hard to sound and play like JB. Dave Gilmore named him as his guitar hero and I think it's because he dares to be different.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1401027656' post='2459285']
I get where you're coming from as Led Zep have certainly influenced many others but "quality" is subjective (back to what the individual likes or dislikes) For me, Led Zep have never really gone out on a limb to break new ground and I think none of them, as individuals, would have had anywhere near the success they achieved as part of that band. I'm not denying their success, songwriting or musical ability in any way, it's just that Jeff Beck has always been sited as top dog by many of his peers.

There was a time when Gary Moore was trying really hard to sound and play like JB. Dave Gilmore named him as his guitar hero and I think it's because he dares to be different.
[/quote]
Would not disagree with your views at all.

Success is defined by the perception of an individual...only JB can reveal whether he believes he has achieved success in his world.

My definition of JB - really great player married by and large to non influential music.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1401030293' post='2459318']

Would not disagree with your views at all.

Success is defined by the perception of an individual...only JB can reveal whether he believes he has achieved success in his world.

My definition of JB - really great player married by and large to non influential music.
[/quote]

Interesting point you raise about whether JB would feel he's been successful.

I have the impression that he wouldn't change a thing in his musical life if he had his time over again. I think his life in music has been shaped by the fact that he can't function as part of a band. He appears to require total artistic control.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1400785465' post='2457063']
Whilst in no real sense a fan, I have always admired Beck's expressiveness as a guitarist but, lately, everytime I see him on a video etc, he is playing some lame mainstream crap like Jerusalem or You'll Never Walk Alone. The arrangements aren't even interesting. It all sounds like James Galway play The Beatles to me, Dreadful. What is he playing at?
[/quote]

Spot on Bilbo, just seems such a waste of a great talent.

I don't get this... do you really think Jeff Beck is some kind of failure because he's not producing music that you like, or music that you think he [i]should[/i] be playing? He has spent his life playing what he wants to play and has made a great career out of it! I'm pretty sure he's quite happy doing what he does and his achievements are really quite remarkable when you look at it in any accepted way of gauging success in the music business!

I bet he doesn't waste hours every day sat on his arse putting the world to rights on the bloody internet, either! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401042044' post='2459458']
I don't get this... do you really think Jeff Beck is some kind of failure because he's not producing music that you like, or music that you think he [i]should[/i] be playing?
[/quote]
Well, [i]its [/i]quite [i]simple[/i]....I certainly do not think that he is a failure (whatever failure is?)....and[i] I do like [/i]some of his music...but he doesn't feature much in [i]my personal music collection[/i] for whatever reason!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1401043162' post='2459482']
...he doesn't feature much in [i]my personal music collection[/i] for whatever reason!
[/quote]

Well that's fine of course! Personal choice. But I don't see why some here think he's some kind of loser when he patently isn't! :)

Apparently he has said that he's doing more of the cover versions of standards because he doesn't want to put out an album of stuff he thinks is sub standard; it appears he's not very happy about his last album.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401042044' post='2459458']
I don't get this... do you really think Jeff Beck is some kind of failure because he's not producing music that you like, or music that you think he [i]should[/i] be playing? He has spent his life playing what he wants to play and has made a great career out of it! I'm pretty sure he's quite happy doing what he does and his achievements are really quite remarkable when you look at it in any accepted way of gauging success in the music business!

I bet he doesn't waste hours every day sat on his arse putting the world to rights on the bloody internet, either! :D
[/quote]

I actually totally agree with you. I didn't mean to suggest that he was in anyway a failure, and he can do what he likes and he has done, and continues to do remarkable things.

However, you won't be finding much of his recent work my collection!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1401191584' post='2460932']
However, you won't be finding much of his recent work my collection!
[/quote]

That's totally your decision and I understand completely - personal choice.
There isn't much of [i]any[/i] of his work in my collection, to be honest. But credit where it's due. :)

When I was a kid, I remember my Mum used to have a few LPs that were pretty tragic and they were all what I call mismatched artist/repertoire things. James Galways plays the Beatles, London Philharmoinic plays John Denver - you get the idea. We still see them on Britain's Got Talent - guitar player performing 'Wind Beneath My WIngs' kind of thing. When I think of Beck, I think of some great LPs from the Wired/Blow By Blow era etc but these 'Beck plays 101 well-loved Methodist Hymns' things strike me as a bit 'odd'!

NB It is important to acknowledge that I don't really give a s*** what Jeff Beck plays; I was just thinking out loud.

PS - I did a gig with his old Keyboard player Jason Rebello last Sunday. We did Danny Boy.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1401197696' post='2461010']
When I was a kid, I remember my Mum used to have a few LPs that were pretty tragic and they were all what I call mismatched artist/repertoire things. James Galways plays the Beatles, London Philharmoinic plays John Denver - you get the idea.
[/quote]

I hope you don't mean "John Denver Live in London with the London Philharmonic" - I loved that album when I was a kid & I've still got a copy on 8 track cartridge. :)

I agree with you about Jeff Becks recorded output; somebody bought me a copy of his "live at Ronnie Scott's" CD & it's bloody awful - beige fuzak of the very worst kind.

Give me John Denver any day. :D