Why become a member? ×

Returning a bass to Thomann - cost?

Hey

I'm thinking of ordering a bass from thomann because I can't find it locally.

If I order one and don't like it, thomann have a no quibble return policy which is great. However, according to their faq if there's nothing wrong with the instrument i would need to pay the return shipping.

Any idea how much it would cost to return a bass to Thomann?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1400525338' post='2454676']
Hey

I'm thinking of ordering a bass from thomann because I can't find it locally.

If I order one and don't like it, thomann have a no quibble return policy which is great. However, according to their faq if there's nothing wrong with the instrument i would need to pay the return shipping.

Any idea how much it would cost to return a bass to Thomann?
[/quote]

Paying for your own return shipping is pretty standard in UK too from what I have seen, although I have never bought a new bass online! Too much of an unknown entity!

Using interparcel and parcel2go will give you decent shipping costs, in my experience typicall 150%-200% the cost of posting a bass within the UK. Not a deal breaker I wouldn't have thought :)

I bought 2 Line6 speaker bags off them (£110 each bag)and after a month the wheels sheared off they refused any refund saying they where 'well gigged' , I had only done a couple of gigs with them and they had been stored in my music room. It was the first time I'd ever claimed off them.

I'd certainly not buy off them again and I was buying about a £1000+ worth of gear off them each year for the last ten years.

The major determining factor in international shipping is usually insurance. If the value creeps over £1,000 then a lot of shipping agents won't quote.

Germany is anything from £35 to £75 or even as high as £100 if you hit the nasty combination of heavy weight plus high insurance value.

Call or mail Thomann and they'll tell you how much it will cost to return it - they'll then deduct it from your refund. Here are the options I had for returning a small bass combo last July:

[size=3][font=Arial, sans-serif]1)[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Musikhaus Thomann organises a return with your [b]local post[/b]. You would simply be required to drop the parcel off at your local post office (with the return label you will receive from us once you confirmed this option) and 15 EUR per parcel would be deducted from your credit note for this service.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial, sans-serif]2)[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Musikhaus Thomann organises a [b]UPS collection[/b]. 30 EUR per parcel would be deducted from your credit note for this service.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial, sans-serif]3)[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]You organise a [b]return yourself to Musikhaus Thomann.[/b][/font][/size]

Edited by Green Alsatian

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1400530232' post='2454754']
Call or mail Thomann and they'll tell you how much it will cost to return it - they'll then deduct it from your refund. Here are the options I had for returning a small bass combo last July:

[size=3][font=Arial, sans-serif]1)[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Musikhaus Thomann organises a return with your [b]local post[/b]. You would simply be required to drop the parcel off at your local post office (with the return label you will receive from us once you confirmed this option) and 15 EUR per parcel would be deducted from your credit note for this service.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial, sans-serif]2)[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Musikhaus Thomann organises a [b]UPS collection[/b]. 30 EUR per parcel would be deducted from your credit note for this service.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial, sans-serif]3)[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]You organise a [b]return yourself to Musikhaus Thomann.[/b][/font][/size]
[/quote][quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1400530232' post='2454754']

[/quote]

Hard to argue with those options

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1400537783' post='2454862']
This thread is dangerous. It makes me want to buy things.
[/quote]
Totally. I have purchased stuff from Thomann just for the hell of it, used it for 3 weeks and then returned it and never a hitch. However in my case their no quibble return policy works as I have hung on to 90% of the gear I have purchased from them.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400575141' post='2454990']
That is quite a decent policy! Is it really only 15 euros to drop a bass off with a post office/similar?!
[/quote]
I have never purchased a guitar, but I recently returned a micro amp and it cost 15 euro. They simply asked me to fill out a return slip and leave the item at my local post office. Not sure what the price of returning a guitar is.
Be warned though, the item needs to be in pristine condition. The slightest mark anywhere on the casing, means that Thomann will refuse the return

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400580527' post='2455033']
I have never purchased a guitar, but I recently returned a micro amp and it cost 15 euro. They simply asked me to fill out a return slip and leave the item at my local post office. Not sure what the price of returning a guitar is.
Be warned though, the item needs to be in pristine condition. The slightest mark anywhere on the casing, means that Thomann will refuse the return
[/quote]

That seems completely fair to me.

Those Tecamp amps are tempting!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400582842' post='2455056']
That seems completely fair to me.

Those Tecamp amps are tempting!
[/quote]
Totally fair.
I have hung on to the Tecamp Puma and with the TH500, I have everything covered (both purchased from Thomann). Tried a GK Micro and it is not my thing so back it went.
They are great to do business with. There is not a music store for miles around here that stocks a fraction of what is available form Thomann, so it is a Godsend that if I need anything, I can order it, have it delivered to my home within a couple of days and use it for up to 30 days knowing that there is a no quibble return policy.
Yu will not get better than that. plus I reviewed some of the equipment I have purchased from them on their site and they send me a 40 euro voucher off my next purchase. Where will it end with these guys.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400584706' post='2455075']
Totally fair.
I have hung on to the Tecamp Puma and with the TH500, I have everything covered (both purchased from Thomann). Tried a GK Micro and it is not my thing so back it went.
They are great to do business with. There is not a music store for miles around here that stocks a fraction of what is available form Thomann, so it is a Godsend that if I need anything, I can order it, have it delivered to my home within a couple of days and use it for up to 30 days knowing that there is a no quibble return policy.
Yu will not get better than that. plus I reviewed some of the equipment I have purchased from them on their site and they send me a 40 euro voucher off my next purchase. Where will it end with these guys.
[/quote]

Completely understand why you would use them! It's probably the way a lot of music stores are going to try and go.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400589291' post='2455156']
Completely understand why you would use them! It's probably the way a lot of music stores are going to try and go.
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I am all for shopping in the high street, spending local and quite regularly pay over the odds for goods in the local store, just to keep the dosh circulating in my own locality. Heaven knows this country (Ireland) is throwing enough money at German bondholders, without me helping to fill another German bank account.
But when it comes to getting my hands on the top brands in the Bass world, I have little choice but to spend my money with Thomann and their like

Edited by leroydiamond

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1405771677' post='2505112']
I've seen a few bits on Thomann I'd like to try. Not expensive, and more guitar related, but has anyone had issues returning items?

Cheers
[/quote]

I bought a bass from them (the bass in question when I started this thread). The first one that came had some QC issues. I sent them an email saying "what do we do" and they immediately sent me a pre-paid postage label and told me what I needed to do to return the item. When they received it they processed it and shipped me a replacement within 24 hours.

Absolutely impeccable no quibble, no hassle service. They'll get repeat business from me.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1405771677' post='2505112']
I've seen a few bits on Thomann I'd like to try. Not expensive, and more guitar related, but has anyone had issues returning items?

Cheers
[/quote]

I think ? this poster is more interested in buying a number of items and maybe just keeping 1 or 2. If this is the case, then as said above, anything that has wear on it will have a deduction made off the original cost, assuming it has been used, tried not liked and sent back. If faulty, yes then they will usually replace but I think it is a 35 euro fee they take off on bigger items if returned for a refund if they deem it has been ragged....!
Obviously once you have returned those items , they decide what the deduction is and it is out of your hands. I'm not slagging them off unnecessarily but I have had some experience with them having either received items myself they said were perfect and yet were clearly used and also items delivered that were damaged. Their default position is " return to us" ( this is free but if they think the damage is your wear and tear rather than e.g dropped in shipping they will charge you 35 euros). One can understand their position somewhat but I object a bit to their mistrust of my word.